Carp Anglers Group Forums

The 2014 Austin Team Championships

Neil Stern

well, I probably will not be running the event this year, but I have started to set some balls in motion,,,,

#1-- the Hotel will once again be the Wyndahm,,,,I am negotiating with them now on pricings, but the date is agreeable to them and we are set at that facility,,,,,Casita, rooms, poolside, peg draw amphitheater, etc, etc,

#2--the dates hae been set,,,,,FEBRUARY 20th, 21st, and 22nd -- :jumpy: --I have put call into the CARP GODS :carprock: for good captures, and a special call to the MAN for good weather....

#3- I will be talking to Keith Thompson who has a GREAT idea for a new peg draw mechanism that might seem strange but in reality is really cool He's calling it

the "LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD DRAW" I like it !!!! :Old:

#4- Andy, our past president has come up with yet another idea for the banquet,,,,a "BE IN IT TO WIN IT" raffle ticket,,,,,also intersting,,, :hi501: ,,,

#5- Since the ACA ( Austin Carp Anglers) have been so helpful in the past, I've asked Mike, to get in touch with me so I can discuss and idea with them regarding pegs

So start planning vacations now,,,,saving for this event,,,,,,I thought this years event was tremendous,,,,,,but as I look at things brewing for next year,,,,,,well......I could be very wrong !!

and, another great Idea,from Andy, in addition to the 1st ,2nd and 3rd places and the largest fish, another category for the big 4 carp caught crap...with 11 months to go this next one is a thriller in Manilla ,,,, :)

Just curious???? Whats the reason for having different pegs instead of fishing the same peg all days. Seems counter productive to dump a bunch of bait in the water just to have somebody else fishing over it the next day when the fish realy move in on it. Just wondering.......

Just curious???? Whats the reason for having different pegs instead of fishing the same peg all days. Seems counter productive to dump a bunch of bait in the water just to have somebody else fishing over it the next day when the fish realy move in on it. Just wondering.......

The ATC is a CAG Social event. Swapping pegs the next day gives all teams a chance to get a fish or six.

Good question,

Not all anglers dump a bunch of bait in the water. The amount of bait thrown in the water should be dictated by the amount of fish in front of you, not dump and wait...just my opinion of course.

You should really consider making it down there to experience the event. LBL is a long 380 acre land locked part of the Colorado river. There are so many different types of pegs it's crazy. Urban pegs, bridge pegs, rocks, docks, Poison oak pegs...long story..lol, so you want to try different spots and hope that you get a place with fish in your area.

As the teams became limited to only 25, we have seen over the past couple of years only 4 or 5 teams blank. That is not bad, but of course we would all prefer everyone to catch.

Excellent event, wish I lived 1300 miles closer...lol!!

Andy you are right about the different types of pegs. Plus you have all different water depths. I don't care how much bait you do or don't put, sometimes fish just aren't there. Conditions also play a major key, look at Fork as a example. Cold air, wind and water caused havoc on the anglers, but sunny days after the tourny played nice. There was also a Bass tourny on Fork that same weekend that had 200 of the 221 teams blank. This event is planned 1 year in advance and we can never control mother nature. A few fish, a win or only 2 shad, I have always enjoyed the company. Getting to raz the foreigners is fun, huh Andy?

Andy you are right about the different types of pegs. Plus you have all different water depths. I don't care how much bait you do or don't put, sometimes fish just aren't there. Conditions also play a major key, look at Fork as a example. Cold air, wind and water caused havoc on the anglers, but sunny days after the tourny played nice. There was also a Bass tourny on Fork that same weekend that had 200 of the 221 teams blank. This event is planned 1 year in advance and we can never control mother nature. A few fish, a win or only 2 shad, I have always enjoyed the company. Getting to raz the foreigners is fun, huh Andy?

Hell yea, thats the heart of it right there. Get to mingle with those wierd funny talking southerners and gents from all over the place! The Saturday night entertainment after the banquet was priceless!! It's a great event and the outcome with the weather and fish cooperating was excellent this year. it was great to see the many big fish caught. Where else with only 46 anglers in 24 hours will you see 17 x 30 plus lb beasts with 3 topping 37lbs and countless 25-29lbers...

Throw in the few huge buffs, the massive grassers and man I cannot wait until the next event. Maybe next year will favor the home crowd, but that might be only if the Michiganders can't make it...muhahahahah

It TeXaS, they don't do the 22nd.

how true,,,,,thanks for correcting the ol FAT FINGER SYNDROME

• 2 months later...

Registrations will open in late September/early October.......looking forward to seeing you

• 1 month later...

ALL IS GOING VERY WELL....:)

Dates ----SECURED

Passes for day fishing at the Bridge-----SECURED

talked to rowing club about buoys---there will be none-------SECURED

Hotel----SECURED

Banquet meals-----SECURED

WE will be working with the AUSTIN CARP ANGLERS and they will provide Marshalls where they are needed-----SECURED

do....all in all things are going well.....I will begin to contact vendors for prizes in Mid August, but they have
ALWAYS been very receptive to this event,,,,,,,,,

Placed a long distance Call to the CARP gods for good fishing------AWAITING RESPONSE

Place a long distance call to the BIG MAN/WOMAN for good weather.....AWAITING RESPONSE,,,,,,,,, :)

Bang up job Niel! Can't wait to come out again!

Awesome event! Can't wait to do it again.

Might have another team. My son Chris and his new wife Sydney are thinking about teaming up to have a go at it. Last two years him and I have fished as a team, but we made the mistake of taking her fishing and now she's hooked (pun intended), big time.