Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest RebelCarp

Overnight Sessions/Long Sessions (2-4 days) Must Haves

Guest RebelCarp

Just curious what everyone brings on their long trips. Its going to be my first year doing long sessions up to 4 days straight at some swims.

Toilet paper........... Plenty of it too...lol

Toilet paper........... Plenty of it too...lol

carppielooker, that was my first thought. :hi501: Lots of food- for you and the carp, a way to keep dry, radio to keep up with the weather, lots of batteries for the flashlights.

Charged 12V battery with power inverter to charge cell phones, Kindle etc.

Tarp to make sure that bedding and clothing do not get wet especially early in session.

1 Shelter

2 TP

3 I figure out what meals I would need for the time I am staying, I also take extra water because if you are in the sun all day you will dehydrate quicker

4 I take a gallon to wash my hands and also clean up (if it is hot I wash my face off if I start to overheat

5 bedchair to lay down

6 Trash bags because you want to leave the spot cleaner than when you got there

7 I bring extra everything in terms of gear and tackle in case I use more than anticipated or break something. I leave most of it in the car instead of carrying the extra

8 lots of extra bait, you never know if the fish are on then it is better to have a lot than have a little

9 gun or form of protection

10 camera/camcorder and extra batteries (also make sure they are fully charged with memory cards)

11Change of clothes so if you get wet or are sweating you can change out to get comfortable or if it is cold you can get warmer

12 extra propane and mantles for a lantern

Food Water extra socks and clothes. North American Carp Angler. Propane Stove, Cooler with Ice. And a lot more Bait options. If you are going to be using Pack Bait I would bring all the Ingredients and mix them on site as needed. A cell phone for sure with car charger. Water proof Boots or Chest waders. I leave my Radio at home and listen to the one in my Truck from time to time. Extra batteries for your Alarms. Back ups if you have them. Plenty of Fishing Line and Hooks. And even a spare Rod.

Edited by Davy

I think Brian/accordbw has a pretty good list there.

I always bring extra socks and footwear. Nothing ruins my day more than wet feet and cold temperatures.

I always make sure to pack one or two of these:

buschlight30packcansweb.jpg

I'm thinking at least 2 for 4 days. maybe 3 :party0012icon:

When I camp out I always break my list of things to bring into 2 lists of 4 things. A "need list" and a "want list" of the following...

Food & Drink

Fishing Bait & Tackle

Comfort

Entertainment

I just think about bare essentials for the needs and luxury for the wants. I usually end up with all the needs and a few wants added on. IMO The first 3 categories are most important. Entertainment can be as simple as a radio and a pair of binoculars. Binoculars are a must. Good for wildlife viewing and peeping on pretty ladies in bikinis riding by in canoes or tubing. jaw-dropping.gif

one thing to keep in mind is how far do you have to lug your gear! ie.... from the car or truck to the swim. that in itself will dictate how much or how little gear you want to bring. and also how many trips you want to take to haul your gear!

one thing to keep in mind is how far do you have to lug your gear! ie.... from the car or truck to the swim. that in itself will dictate how much or how little gear you want to bring. and also how many trips you want to take to haul your gear!

agree 100%....If your traveling far from your vehical dont leave anything in it that someone would want to break in for...also a good cart is a must for getting gear into swims...or in your case a BOAT...lol. I use a Daiwa Infinity Freeloader barrow and can haul a ton of gear on it.

From your double thread , my post ..

A way of keeping your food/ice cold for that long, you cool and dry...good shelter.....I too take everything but the kitchen sink..lol.

Last year I bought the Daiwa Infinity overnighter bedchair and LOVE it...saves me from having to take both a reclining chair and bedchair...plus I bought a Fox Warrior Oval 60" system.....many shelters in one , easily packed , fast set up and will go anywhere and take any weather conditions.

I will also add , I take a rechargeable NORRA weather radio , plus scout out the forecast ahead of time...plus if going to out of the way spots, make sure a few people have directions to the spot just incase you get hurt and need someone to come get you...you never know when you could step into a hole or fall off a bank and cant walk.....cell phone and a way of charging in a must too. I have a set of walkie-talkies that have a 36 mile range and if close enough from home you could leave one there and take one with you.

As far as radio, I like it quiet...and I dont drink.too much money in gear to have a drunkin accident...and when you can fish with a buddy on those long sessions.

One small thing i find nice to have on these although not essential is a bivvy table, some times its great just to have a level place to put down drinks, especially when the buzzer is calling and its too long to spot a suitable patch of ground,also keep some bits like baiting needles and rigs handy.

Keep a blow torch attachment in your camping gear,it will fit a propane canister.it is a great firestarter when everything is wet...

that works too but i keep a small fuel bottle of white gas in my kit . pure it on damp wood and it helps it to light! but be carful!!!!! it will make a good ball of flame!

Guest RebelCarp

Wow awesome info! thanks for the great tips. But i'm going to have to stay away from the busch light :barf:

sleeping bags! have the right bag for the time of year!in spring and fall i use a zero degree bag. days are nice but the nights can get chilly.a zero degree bag lets me get out of bag at night time.fight a fish and or rebait and get back into the bag and warm up quicker and fall asleep faster!also when storring your bag when not in use!important tip here!(will save you from alot of cold nights)do not! do not! leave your bag rolled up and stuffed into a stuff sack! all that dose is compresses the fibers and shortens their life span!ie.. you have a 20degree bag that wont keep you warm on a 50 degree night! the best way to store them is to lay them out flat! or hang them in your closet.and only put them into your stuff sack when going on a trip then unsack them as soon as you can and let them loft back up before use! i know it sounds crazy but it works and adds years to how long your bag will last!

sleeping bags! have the right bag for the time of year!in spring and fall i use a zero degree bag. days are nice but the nights can get chilly.a zero degree bag lets me get out of bag at night time.fight a fish and or rebait and get back into the bag and warm up quicker and fall asleep faster!also when storring your bag when not in use!important tip here!(will save you from alot of cold nights)do not! do not! leave your bag rolled up and stuffed into a stuff sack! all that dose is compresses the fibers and shortens their life span!ie.. you have a 20degree bag that wont keep you warm on a 50 degree night! the best way to store them is to lay them out flat! or hang them in your closet.and only put them into your stuff sack when going on a trip then unsack them as soon as you can and let them loft back up before use! i know it sounds crazy but it works and adds years to how long your bag will last!

Another one i found with sl/bags, when its cold put a regular one on top of your bedchair then put the one you use on top, way more comfy and keeps your back a lot warmer.

thats what i do too,i use a bedchair cover(chub) and then use two sleepng bags,one to lay on,and one to cover with.I like doing that cause its a hell of a lot easier to come outta that bedchair.I am 6`3 and a big guy,i look like a bull in a china shop coming out of a bivvy anyways