Carp Anglers Group Forums

Beautiful day in Connecticut

Hudak860

Set out with a buddy bright and early this morning to fish a spot here in CT and was delighted to find that it was a whopping 36 degrees outside at 6:30 in the morning! If you live in New England or anywhere in the north east youll know that after the long dragged out winter weve had this was cause for celebration. Before leaving I checked the weather and saw that we were expected to reach 52 degrees today with plenty of warm weather to come in the foreseable future which nearly brought tears of joy. After battling winter conditions with my buddies for the last month and a half to wake up to birds singing and the smell of spring starting to take to the air it was truly a magical feeling. Anyhow we stopped at a grocery store on the way down to load up on a few supplies and then across the street to dunkin donuts for a coffee. We arrived at our destination and what was once a quick set up with only one rod and a bank stick has now turned into a more prolonged process of setting up the pod, alarms and rigging up a 2nd rods but I cant complain. I decided to do something a little different today which ive been thinking about doing all winter and set the pod up in the water and snapping off branches that were in the way, heres a photo of the set up.

671AB763-CDBC-4994-9A67-2E09DA9A8793-804

It wasnt long before the bites started coming in and was up to 4 fish all of the mid to low teen variety which I opted for a quick release and no photo. After that the fish seemed to have moved out of the area as the action died down for about a hour I took that as a good opportunity to get some more feed out into the swim. Some time had passed and I decided it was time to play the lucky song and it failed me so I decided to go with a new song for a new year that ive had on the back burner just incase and it played out well delivering a nice common just over 19 pounds and here it is.

55DDF0A9-714E-4BB0-A9B3-74CD688C687F-804

Another couple mid sized teens had come in the next hour after that and also opted for quick releases to get the lines back into the water. The fish had seemed to move out again for another hour and returned and I landed this short fish that I wanted to photograph because unlike alot of the smaller fish in the joint it had a rather nice gut goin on.

78CBC301-C4F3-48C1-A631-061619787203-804

Not long after this little fatty I had a pull on my right hand rod and set the hook. The fish was about 15 feet away from the net and the left hand rod started peeling out line like nobodies business so I rushed to get the fish into the net and into a safe little spot for the time being while I delt with the rod that was surely heading towards a snag. After a couple minutes of duking it out with the energetic teen sized fish it was "ready" to be netted so I put my rod inbetween my knees and struggled to unhook the fish that was in the net with my left hand and finally got it free and managed to get both fish inside the net. Now at this point I figured why not get a picture of the double up which was fish number 9 and 10 on the day. I grabbed my phone which was strategically placed inside a bush to insure its safety from being dropped into the water and attempted to clip it to my waders and KURPLUNK there she went straight into the water and fully submerged. With cat like reflexes and my life flashing before my eyes I got it out of the water within a couple seconds and miraculously it wasnt destroyed and was still working!

38F1770D-71A4-47C1-83BC-92F33075536C-804

My buddies ride showed up to pick him up to head out golfing and after such a tragedy I decided to call it a little early and head to verizon to see what the damage was and to go try and meet up with a couple new carp guys that were fishing a cove not far away and offer any advice they could find useful. The phone still works as far as getting phone calls and sending messages but can no longer play music on it but for the time being ill live as theres just to much more gear to be purchased before getting a new phone just to be able to listen to music. All in all it was a good day fishing and hopefully spring will move in with full force!

Thanks fellas it was a good day and ill take a double up anytime as long as it doesnt come with a nearly destroyed phone. Its now time to shift focus from the pond to the big and mighty CT river!

Guest RebelCarp

Thanks fellas it was a good day and ill take a double up anytime as long as it doesnt come with a nearly destroyed phone. Its now time to shift focus from the pond to the big and mighty CT river!

I'm the same way. In one more week i'm switching from lake to river fishing :icon_smoking: