Carp Anglers Group Forums
(GA) needmotime2fish

I got "April Fool-ed" at Commerce Watershed

After hearing reports from Commerce about a week ago of "loads of carp on the bank, close enough to net", I've been wanting to get up there to check it out. But the weather turned cold and windy, then rainy, so I figured the fish would probably head to deeper water until the next warm spell. That warmer weather finally came this weekend, so I headed to Commerce this morning.

I've also been wanting to give "hammercarp's" spicy puffs a good test. I made a bucket of pack using Mr. Big's grits pack recipe, and put my version of spicy puffs on the hook. I also spodded out a couple quarts of boiled and soaked maize in the area in front of my pod, and about 30 feet to the left and right.

After about 3 hours, there was still only minimal fish activity -- i saw one fish roll close to shore, but I couldn't see the fish, and wasn't sure if it was a carp or a large bass. There were a lot of fishermen in boats -- mostly crappie fishermen -- but nobody competing with me for bank space. So I pulled out three more rods, and fished two on one side of my pod and one on the other side. I used the grits pack on two of them, one with maize on the hook and the other with canned corn. I baited the remaining rod with canned corn only -- no pack.

It was a very clear day -- blue sky and no clouds, until a few clouds appeared late afternoon. Also it was fairly windy, with a sustained breeze of 10-12 mph, and (plenty of) gusts over 20 mph.

I fished for almost 7 hours, the last 4 hours with 6 lines in the water, and the ONLY action I had was 2 or 3 bumps on the rod baited with just corn. No runs all day. The only consolation was that even the guys fishing for catfish and crappie had no action either. I think that suggests that the weather is still a bit too unsettled, and it's affecting ALL the fishing. In fact, there's another front coming through tomorrow, with another temperature drop expected.

Maybe in another week....???

We had some snow on Mon. Don't give up . It is supposed to warm up.

Give up? No way.

The long range forecast for north GA is for 70's this weekend and ALL NEXT WEEK!!! :yes:

Even after all of these years I still havent figured that place out, it is so hit or miss, with more on the miss side.