Carp Anglers Group Forums
(GA) needmotime2fish

Georgia waters with carp ?

I've been reading books and magazines and searching the Internet, trying to identify lakes and streams in Georgia that hold populations of carp. Although many publications and web sites exist that list the various "game fish" found in a particular lake or stream. to date I've found absolutely no data that indicates whether or not any of those bodies of water have any carp -- including the Georgia DNR's own website.

In my opinion, that would be some very useful information for all CAG members (and for other Georgia angers), so earlier today, I sent an e-mail to the DNR (Dept of natural Resources).

First I introduced myself as the Georgia State Chair for CAG, then summarized the objectives of our organization (from our home page), and provided the URL for our website. I also mentioned that we are an international organization, and further emphasized that carp fishing is a growing sport - and a growing industry - here in the US, and noted that in many other countries, the carp is "the" game fish of choice.

I finally suggested that, given the increasing number of carp anglers and the growing popularity of carp fishing, as a service to those anglers, it would be very helpful if the DNR could invest some time to create and publish a list of Georga waters with decent carp populations.

If and when I receive any follow-up, I'll post it here. If the DNR does act on my request, I will also post whatever information they provide. Of course, if they post anything on line, I'll provide a link.

-- Barry

Good luck Barry, it may be worth snooping around on local GA fishing forums as well

Good luck Barry, it may be worth snooping around on local GA fishing forums as well

Excellent suggestion, but I've already "snooped around" on the most popular local fishing forum -- the GON (Georgia Outdoor News) forum. At least so far, all the reports on carp I've found there refer only to waters where we already know carp are present (for example, some of the major impoundments).

I'm hoping the DNR might help us identify some additional 'untapped' carp waters -- maybe some smaller local lakes and/or state or county park lakes, or some rivers or streams with public access..

Edited by needmotime2fish

the savannah river by augusta has a pretty good population of carp trying to figure out how to catch one of them on the fly is my next project :)

Here in Texas, our Fish & Game Department, on their website, lists the lake records for all the different species of fish taken from most all the lakes and larger rivers. Most of them have carp listed, even if it was by taken by bow. Does Georgia do that?

the savannah river by augusta has a pretty good population of carp trying to figure out how to catch one of them on the fly is my next project :)

Cool! Good luck catching them "on the fly". Please let us know when -- not if -- you're successful.

Here in Texas, our Fish & Game Department, on their website, lists the lake records for all the different species of fish taken from most all the lakes and larger rivers. Most of them have carp listed, even if it was by taken by bow. Does Georgia do that?

No such luck. In fact, I'm still waiting for the DNR to even acknowledge my initial e-mail. It's been almost a month -- I think I've waited long enough. Time to follow up.

Then, if they blow me off again, I'll contact my state representative -- maybe a little "political" pressure will at least get my request acknowledged.

if you look east the hooch has many lakes with parks for fishing lake harding, bartletts ferry, and lake oliver all near Columbus have plenty of carp.

if you look east the hooch has many lakes with parks for fishing lake harding, bartletts ferry, and lake oliver all near Columbus have plenty of carp.

Yes -- thanks! Naturally, the same applies to the major lakes along the Savannah River, too. In fact, there are probably carp in most of the major river systems in Georgia.

I'm mostly looking for help in identifying other lakes and streams that have carp. The state doesn't include carp when they publish lists of fish species present in various bodies of water -- it's as if they assume that no one cares.

needmotime2fish, get on the website and see if there is a listing for the representative of commissioner for your area. Tennessee has commissioners that work with the wildlife people. Doesn't hurt to contact your state representative, either.

needmotime2fish, get on the website and see if there is a listing for the representative of commissioner for your area. Tennessee has commissioners that work with the wildlife people. Doesn't hurt to contact your state representative, either.

Thanks for the idea. I didn't see a list of area commissioners when I first sent my request -- but I'll look again. It can't hurt.

No such luck -- at least there's no list of area commissioners. I did manage to find a list of regional "directors" for the DNR that shows the name of the director for each "region" (numbered 1-14). Unfortunately, there's no information that shows the geographical areas covered by those fourteen regions, so there's no way to know which director is responsible for "my" region. Plus, there is no contact information provided for any of those directors, anyway.

I have now resubmitted my original e-mail to the general contact point for the DNR as shown on their web site, with a comment saying that I was disappointed that they never even acknowledged it the first time. If they fail to respond this time, I'll send it to my state representative and ask him to intercede.

I usually assume all waters have carp, size varies by location. It is likely most city parks contain carp as well.

If you ever speak with a Georgia Wildlife Resource Officer or whatever they go by, they may be able to give you info.

I also make a habit of going to other local forums and searching carp to see where incidental captures occur.

Getting a reply from a main agency may be a tall order as likely a secretary sorts through and all.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response yesterday from the DNR. They apologized for not replying to my first e-mail, and attached a PDF showing the general geographical distribution of carp in Georgia (information I already knew, because the PDF only shows this information for the various river drainages and associated lakes in the state).

I replied to the DNR, and politely thanked them for their quick reply (this time), but also asked them if there was any possibility that they could help me gather carp population information specifically for the WMAs and PFAs (state run Wildlife Management Areas, and Public Fishing Areas), and/or in state park and county park lakes.

Again I received a quick reply, this time from a "Deputy Director", who said that those things would prove difficult to do right now because of recent budget cuts. However, he did say that he was "intrigued by my enthusiasm", and is interested in learning more. He also gave me his direct phone number so that I can call him later to talk directly.

So even though it looks like the information I requested won't be available any time soon, I may now have a contact inside the DNR who might be able to help us on future matters.

Edited by needmotime2fish

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response yesterday from the DNR. They apologized for not replying to my first e-mail, and attached a PDF showing the general geographical distribution of carp in Georgia (information I already knew, because the PDF only shows this information for the various river drainages and associated lakes in the state).

I replied to the DNR, and politely thanked them for their quick reply (this time), but also asked them if there was any possibility that they could help me gather carp population information specifically for the WMAs and PFAs (state run Wildlife Management Areas, and Public Fishing Areas), and/or in state park and county park lakes.

Again I received a quick reply, this time from a "Deputy Director", who said that those things would prove difficult to do right now because of recent budget cuts. However, he did say that he was "intrigued by my enthusiasm", and is interested in learning more. He also gave me his direct phone number so that I can call him later to talk directly.

So even though it looks like the information I requested won't be available any time soon, I may now have a contact inside the DNR who might be able to help us on future matters.

We may want to invite that ol boy to go fishin' :)

In case anyone is interested, I'm attaching the PDF that shows the general distribution of carp throughout the state.

Common Carp Occurrence in Georgia.pdf

I believe (based on some current research) Allatoona is full of Carp.

Cap'n, you're absolutely correct!

I've fished for -- and caught them -- there for more than 25 years. I just wish I lived closer.

We may want to invite that ol boy to go fishin' :)

Horace, I followed through on your suggestion and invited him to go carping with some of us one day. Here's (part of) his reply:

...it seems that I have moved from avid fisherman to an avid administrator over the past few years. I will save this invite and touch base sometime after July.

Sounds like he's in the same position that many of us are (or were once) in, where working interferes with fishing. I'll be sure to follow up with him in a couple months. At least he does seem interested.

If you are in Atlanta, try Bull sluice lake. you can reach some pretty good spots to fish on the bank from Morgan falls overlook park. great fishing there! good luck!

another possible approach:

browse around other States' sites (some are quite progressive about promoting Carp as a sport fish -- e.g., PA seems fairly on the ball, TX & some Midwestern States definitely are, etc.); find the stuff they do, that you want GA to do; and forward the links to your new buddy, the Dep. Comish... i.e., shame him into action :lol:

:carprock:

P.S. PA includes Carp occurance in their published sampling reports by individual body of water (some of which are quite small). I'm sure GA also samples & counts every species. If they don't publish, or don't mention carp, perhaps they should start -- the additional effort would be miniscule & "budget cuts" is not a valid excuse.