Carp Anglers Group Forums

Found hundreds of huge carp ....my new swim

I went out on May07 pike fishing with my buds and to break in a buddies new Alumacraft boat.

Taro from Fish City Tours is a Toronto Fishing Guide with more passion and enthusiasm for fishing than anyone I know.

Taro took a bunch of Europeans fishing for carp with Len Perdic , Paul Castellano, and Pete Bowman and Angelo Viola last year. He also has taken Bob Izumi out pike fishing for his shows this year.

Taro and I feed off each other for fishing knowledge about Toronto Urban Fishing.

I have taught Taro everything I know about bowfin. We share knowledge about everything else.

Taro knows I love my new interest in carp and the last two years its becoming obsessive.

He took me to Tommy Thompson Park (Leslie Spit) and we scouted the entire outer spit.

Thousands of carp were there within casting distance from shore.

Most areas where they were concentrated in the hundreds are areas where the shoreline is out of bounds for the bird sanctuaries. if you have a boat ....they are all yours.

I found several pods of 20 - 30 carp in shoreline accessible areas....

I will try to find some time over the next month to pursue them and scout the situation further.

the key here is sandy flats adjacent to a steep sandy drop off

most of the spit shoreline and waterline is rock and construction debris but not the northwest side that I am talking about here.

I will see if this is worth having you guys out for ...I am sure it is...lots of straight shoreline for a big group.

I think the carp are eating bird #### near the bird sanctuary...not 100 percent sure but close.

the TRCA reports I am getting show the carp spend winter nearby as well...in the deep beside the flats.

the TRCA tagged a bunch of carp and other species and are monitoring them...I get reports now that I am working as a partner with them in organizing Toronto Urban Fishing.

When they finish research this year I will share it with you.

The shear size and number of carp is impressive.

I was blown away by the incredible fishery at Toronto's doorstep.

With carp anglers catch and release protocol ...I have no reason not to share knowledge of this swim.

I will keep you updated.

I have a huge meeting with the GTA fishing committee May 09 and I may learn more then....

summary....I have found a "gold rush" vein of gold I want to mine or fish with the fine members of CAG.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I have been looking at Tommy Thompson Park on Google earth for a few years now . I understand that the park has restricted hrs. and is not open all the time. But ya I want to fish it and I am sure others do too. :)

Very exciting news there Tangled. I look forward to hearing more about this excfiting fishery on you urban doorstep. Thank you.

if anyone is going to give it a go - a few things to take into consideration.

it's only open to the public at the weekends from 8-5. there are no cars on the spit and no nearby parking so you have to walk to the spots. it's over 5km to the furthest points and finally there are loads of fire ants along the shoreline and they are savage. it's also worth checking the bird sanctury area's as some of the shore is also out of bounds at certain times of the year (as mr tangledline mentions above).

as long as you remember the above then there is some good fishing to be had out there.

Good luck Tangledline! I bike there every so often but it's really a inhospitable place to spend a full day in my opinion. Haven't actually heard of people fishing due to the sanctuary that is in place like others have pointed out. But I've heard from some people that there's numerous snag hazards due to the fact that many trees have died because of the huge population of cormorants.

I just spent the day with the MNR, TRCA, OFAH, Toronto Parks and Rec, the owner of the Sportsmen Shows etc.

I was told it was the best meeting in 8 years and best attended.

One of TRCA's top guys confirmed the carp fishery around Tommy Thompson is second to none in the west end of lake Ontario.......I will scout and find us some shoreline swims and we will have us a fish in.

I received permission to start passing along info about the studies going on...so over the next week I will post them to our TUFA site and put the link here....tons of info about fishing Lake Ontario on the way.

I just spent the day with the MNR, TRCA, OFAH, Toronto Parks and Rec, the owner of the Sportsmen Shows etc.

I was told it was the best meeting in 8 years and best attended.

One of TRCA's top guys confirmed the carp fishery around Tommy Thompson is second to none in the west end of lake Ontario.......I will scout and find us some shoreline swims and we will have us a fish in.

I received permission to start passing along info about the studies going on...so over the next week I will post them to our TUFA site and put the link here....tons of info about fishing Lake Ontario on the way.

:yes:

Sat May 18

Got out to Tommy Thompson for another exploration

3 hours 4/5 carp landed

16lb / 8lb / 26lb / 20lb

i believe this is a solid swim.

also found a secondary location watched carp rolling in what i percieved was the mating grounds.

a previous attempt found access to the western shoreline beach. looks very promising... endless swim.

previous scouting around a bay i know holds hundreds of carp landed me into red ant territory...no fun...boat only this area.

many ideal carp areas are out of bounds due to bird sanctuaries but the lagoons and the beach are huge areas of opportunities.

Saturday Sunday and Holidays only 8am until 6pm....as long as its only on those days i believe they are relax on the times unless you park inside gates.....then your locked in or out....parking on street outside park.

TRCA studies show fish telemetry indicating carp travel through these areas often and quickly.

more scouting required....i will try one day a week for the next 6 weeks.

Definately a prolific area, but needs the effort to get to the fish............. Now if i was in my 30's again! but there used to be a bus every hour or so?

Sat May 25 Fished Tommy Thompson tough conditions got one 20lb carp at 12:15pm sunny no clouds...30km winds same location as last week.

tried two spots that other carp anglers regularly use to fish in order to scout and understand more area.

Sun May 25 took a friend to Tommy Thompson to practice taking guests....i took him to my spot and gave him the primary spot and i set up in a secondary spot i had not fished but felt it had some key ingredients....well did it ever....i threw out some plain corn...baited my hook...cast...went to put my rod between two sticks and set the baitrunner...turned back to face the water to hear my drag screaming and a 25 lbs carp tearing across the bay....i have never caught a carp that fast ever....my buddy had left for the washroom....i had to locate the net and unpack it while running along the shoreline as my carp had turned the corner of the bay around a beaver dam....i get it turned around for a run towards a bridge and fish gate...no mercy for me....but it all worked out fine. I was able to get a 25lb and a 17lb. My buddy got a 23lb, 20lb and 14lb. we then went exploring but at the least likely time to find carp ....no more caught....but i learned todaythe carp are there at 7;30 am...i also learnt that i need waders to tap into a huge opportunity of large carp...piecing such a large area together will take some time.

Note last years harbourfront location became active yesterday for the first time this year....i had a dozen carp feeding but two large pike swooped in and scared them off. this became active at 8:30pm last night...first carp seen there all spring...scooby doo.

It's been a pleasure speaking to you a couple of times mr tangledline (at a certain outer harbor spot - the last time we spoke was through some fencing a couple of weeks back and you were talking about raspberry juice ;)). great to hear you are catching out on TT - maybe see you out there at some point for some truly wild fishing. all the best. jamie

Jamie I owe you a thanks...cause after we talked I switched to worms cause we talked about them...I got a sweet brown trout and an awesome small carp...season started slow but is picking up... still learning TT and it is huge...so many swims...it will take years...yes we should hook up soon...next week I am busy assisting a big brothers and big sister fishing derby on lake simcoe but maybe the following weekends. keep checking that swim I met you at ...its gonna turn on big time and its holding 30's...

Guest BCLT

definitely watch the land marks - there are some on here that don't care........they will take your spot.......and by "your" - I mean a spot that you paid your dues for, did the google earth hunting, and then hoofed out a hike and baited it up.......its your reward. And the few that complain that you never share your spots.............well those are the ones that pillage!

Thanks for the advice....note there are 10 000 in Toronto inner and outer harbours....I will still catch carp if all the current swims I use are taken...that's the beauty of carp...there are a lot and they travel.

definitely watch the land marks - there are some on here that don't care........they will take your spot.......and by "your" - I mean a spot that you paid your dues for, did the google earth hunting, and then hoofed out a hike and baited it up.......its your reward. And the few that complain that you never share your spots.............well those are the ones that pillage!

What a load of nonsense and completely unproductive drivel. Dave made this post to promote the park as a great place to visit and fish. Keep up the great work Dave and pay no attention to people want to ruin a good post and that don't even comprehend what you are about.

What a load of nonsense and completely unproductive drivel. Dave made this post to promote the park as a great place to visit and fish. Keep up the great work Dave and pay no attention to people want to ruin a good post and that don't even comprehend what you are about.

I disagree Lorne.

On more than one occasion I have spoken to people on the bank that tell me about area's to fish because they have seen pictures of people with fish there on the internet (Not members of CAG either).

Look at the Fish In Canada show last year - from the landmarks shown on that, it was easy to work out exactly where they were fishing and it was discussed on here (I am as guilty as the next man).

When Dave caught his biggun earlier in the year, there were people on FB speculating where it came from and I could tell in seconds where it was from the background (I was aware of the swim and had reguarly been checking it out on my travels).

There may be plenty of spots and bank side space around Hamilton where you do your fishing but for the sort of fishing I like (uninterupted, peaceful and quiet), if they are easy to get to then they are at a premium around the GTA.

I have spent many many hours walking around the GTA area over the last 18 months (almost as many as actual fishing) and the last thing I want is for a spot I have spent ages finding to be pillaged and ruined or closed to fishing by someone who saw pictures on the internet. Ontario is 'Yours to discover' - not just 'Someone elses to discover and then yours to take advantage of'.

The issue isn't about sharing the fishing - it is about the damage done to the swims through litter being left, wildlife harmed and vegetation damaged.

There have been a fair few posts on the CAG and on FB groups over the last year about litter left in popular swims and damage done to the surrounding area (I believe there are initials of a FB group carved into a tree at Lasalle at the moment). The litter left by anglers in popular spots is shocking (not just carp anglers). There has already been talk of fishong being banned at Lasalle for these very reasons.

It's not just about the members of these forums that leave rubbish either - I know of plenty of spots where the Europeans and Asians that are fishing for the carp for the table are leaving ridiculous amounts of rubbish and discarded line etc.

All Toronto shore front fishing was under threat last year from complaints about anglers - one of which was regarding discarded line if I remember correctly.

TT is an amazing spot - very wild though and hard to get to but the rewards are there if you make the effort. A lot of it is a nature reserve and a conservation area with a lot of rare animals and bird life visiting. At the moment the people you see there are generally serious about their fishing and are more than happy to put the effort in but the thought of loads of people fishing there and leaving rubbish definitely worries me. Already the popular spots on TT have a lot of rubbish left around them.

I am more than happy to share the spots I have found around the GTA with people that I know won't ruin them for me but I'm damned if I am going to let someone I don't know come and screw up my hard work and get the spot closed down - as Mr Tangled Line has said, there are plenty of fish for everyone so I am happy to share the fishing - but I'll have to trust them not to ruin it for me first.

Jamie

Yes littering is a problem. I agree. It is one that we all need to work together on to solve. Counter productive posts will not help solve this problem.

Whether you like it or not you live in a city of over 2 &1/2 million people and that park was created with their tax dollars to be enjoyed by them. I am very sure that Dave takes part in making sure people that fish refrain from littering.

Besides. The limitations on access to the park will cut down greatly on the numbers of people using it.

Shawns post has nothing to do with that subject anyway.

*The issue isn't about sharing the fishing" Shawn's post was exactly about this.

A spirited discussion this.

I remember in the early days of fishing message boards when pics, locations, directions, EVERYthing was shared. As the years went by, discussions like this arose and posting location pics were forbidden, especially amongs the stream trout crowd.

Then, when I began CARP fishing, I remember metioning locations and posting pictures of specific locations without a thought( on a message board other than this ). Carp fishing was the wild west again when it came to disclosing locations! Lots of fish! Tons of bank space! No worries about metioning locations because there was lots of room and lots of fish to go around for everyone.

Now, however, the evolution continues in carp fishing as it did with the other forms of fishing. Now, we too noticed there is someone at our spot when we arrive, and it seems that there is a lot more garbage around than before.

So, do we stop mentioning locations and identifying them with photos? In most cases I think 'yes.' I try to refrain from identifying specific locations, unless it's a place like Pier 8 where it seems like there is hundreds of yards of bank space.

The problem I have is feeling like a hypocrate because the locations I enjoy today are ones that someone has shared with me on the internet.

it was paid for with tax dollars and a lot of hard work for people to enjoy, yes, not for people to ruin and litter at other users expense that is my concern.

With respect to sharing the fishing - Mike's post above is spot on - whether you like it or not Lorne it's certainly an issue now - you have to remember that not everyone wants the same from their fishing as you.

I know people are already posting pictures of fish on FB of fish from locations from months ago to throw 'blinds' to reduce numbers of people fishing productive spots. In fact last weekend I was told what I am pretty sure was a blatant lie to keep me away from an area.

Good angling IMO.

Jamie

I might agree on a swim but a not on a whole park. Surely you can't expect a whole park to yourself. Please believe me Jamie I have been through it many times. I could post pages on the times I have had the same disappointment you are worried about. I do share your concern.

But trolling on someones post that is doing good for the sport and his community it not the proper way to express those concerns.