Carp Anglers Group Forums
tangledline

Found hundreds of huge carp ....my new swim

Guest BCLT

Jamie

I might agree on a swim but a not on a whole park. Surely you can't expect a whole park to yourself. Please believe me Jamie I have been through it many times. I could post pages on the times I have had the same disappointment you are worried about. I do share your concern.

But trolling on someones post that is doing good for the sport and his community it not the proper way to express those concerns.

Trolling........your funny. Always an argument with you eh Lorne - all I said was keep the (HIKE IN, BAIT UP, HARD WORK SPOTS) to your self.

I could make a list a mile long of CAG members, CAG visitors etc that poach spots, ruin swims, and litter every where...........

Jamie

I might agree on a swim but a not on a whole park. Surely you can't expect a whole park to yourself. Please believe me Jamie I have been through it many times. I could post pages on the times I have had the same disappointment you are worried about. I do share your concern.

But trolling on someones post that is doing good for the sport and his community it not the proper way to express those concerns.

I know exactly how Shawn feels about this because I spent a good part of the weekend telling him about the great things that Dave was doing in Toronto and listening to his concerns about the people already fishing the park as the same crap that has been going on in Hamilton, along the Humber, JC and the Rouge River happening again. You can interpret his comments however you want. I know what he's on about and I reckon it's a valid point. He knows what it takes to fish there. He knows the effort that people put in - that's why he hasn't fished there himself ;)

No one said anything about the whole park being off limits? It's a bloody public park - just like the Hamilton piers are all public as well anyone can fish there - no one has ever said anything otherwise.

I like it there but my god it's an effort to fish - it's wild, very uncomfortable, not many spots, long walks and savage fireants but the rewards can be there if you put the hard work in. Everyone knows what can be caught out there, that's no secret but like anywhere, some places can be more productive than others. Effort = rewards where that place is concerned - it actually hurts me to fish there :) - it's not like driving up to a pier, parking and then walking your gear on a trolley to the spot where everyone else is fishing - it couldn't be further from that.

Shawn's comments are down to including landmarks in the background of pictures so people take the shortcut to fishing productive spots and ruining them with litter (there are a lot of area's pf the park off limits to the public already). It's basically saying, protect what is valuable to you. I reckon I know exactly where dave caught those fish from in the pics above - why? because I have made the trek out there myself.

Read it however you want but to accuse someone of trolling because they tell someone else to be cautious and not reveal exact spots as there is a risk of people jumping on their hard work? Come on now?

I want to be clear here - I am not trying to put anyone off fishing over there - go for it!!! In fact if you come down for the day and I will come out to wherever you are and tell you everything I know about the place. I'm just not telling complete strangers on the internet.

Guest BCLT

The problem I have is feeling like a hypocrate because the locations I enjoy today are ones that someone has shared with me on the internet.

This is how you start though......and then you grow as an angler and learn to fend for your self. I for one was told about the chitter like 4 years ago, and yea i fished it..........i smashed that place up and loved it but then i realized its shooting fish in a barrel and stinks like shyte.........so i moved on

Guest BCLT

I know exactly how Shawn feels about this because I spent a good part of the weekend telling him about the great things that Dave was doing in Toronto and listening to his concerns about the people already fishing the park as the same crap that has been going on in Hamilton, along the Humber, JC and the Rouge River happening again. You can interpret his comments however you want. I know what he's on about and I reckon it's a valid point. He knows what it takes to fish there. He knows the effort that people put in - that's why he hasn't fished there himself ;)

No one said anything about the whole park being off limits? It's a bloody public park - just like the Hamilton piers are all public as well anyone can fish there - no one has ever said anything otherwise.

I like it there but my god it's an effort to fish - it's wild, very uncomfortable, not many spots, long walks and savage fireants but the rewards can be there if you put the hard work in. Everyone knows what can be caught out there, that's no secret but like anywhere, some places can be more productive than others. Effort = rewards where that place is concerned - it actually hurts me to fish there :) - it's not like driving up to a pier, parking and then walking your gear on a trolley to the spot where everyone else is fishing - it couldn't be further from that.

Shawn's comments are down to including landmarks in the background of pictures so people take the shortcut to fishing productive spots and ruining them with litter (there are a lot of area's pf the park off limits to the public already). It's basically saying, protect what is valuable to you. I reckon I know exactly where dave caught those fish from in the pics above - why? because I have made the trek out there myself.

Read it however you want but to accuse someone of trolling because they tell someone else to be cautious and not reveal exact spots as there is a risk of people jumping on their hard work? Come on now?

I want to be clear here - I am not trying to put anyone off fishing over there - go for it!!! In fact if you come down for the day and I will come out to wherever you are and tell you everything I know about the place. I'm just not telling complete strangers on the internet.

well said man..........well said.

Guest BCLT

There have been a fair few posts on the CAG and on FB groups over the last year about litter left in popular swims and damage done to the surrounding area (I believe there are initials of a FB group carved into a tree at Lasalle at the moment). The litter left by anglers in popular spots is shocking (not just carp anglers). There has already been talk of fishong being banned at Lasalle for these very reasons.

I can confirm this first hand........went to a swim about two months back to find litter and the initials HHS (Hamilton Harbour Squad) on several trees! And what was the point? Is that supposed to be some sort of TAG..........

LAME AT BEST!

This was a spot that almost no one fished........I posted a video of the spot (BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER) and the next week it was destroyed....every since the spot has sucked cause people are cutting down trees....using trees to wipe their method mix and cream corn hands on........left over beer cans, cigarette butts everywhere......shame full!

There is a very specific reason I tell people to be careful with the sharing of spots. Because so many other people are SLOBS!

just got home from work to see this mess.

sorry to have been the cause.

i enjoy conversing with all three of you and do not want to offend you.

its a forum where we can sort issues out or explain things.

i share information and experience to make fishing more accessible to others....WHY?

WE were banned from fishing in Toronto just last year.

the city with the largest number of fishing license holders in Canada.

95 percent of Toronto's fishing license holders do not fish Toronto's shorelines or waters.

thousands fish Toronto's shorelines and waters but they were secretive and communicated only for bragging rights.

when our right to fish our own "backyard pond" Lake Ontario or our "kids learning pond" Grenadier Pond was taken away do you think that the largest number of license holders could come together to fight the battle....heck no!

zero sense of community or family...no heart ...no soul...no communication....fear.."i'll go it alone attitude"...everyone for themselves...

a dozen of us closed ranks and fought the battle of our lives on behalf of everyone else.

we needed their help and support but they refused to be counted...no matter how much we urged.

after the battle was won we tried to build a group that could unify the anglers into a community so this scenario would never happen again.

in just 10 months we have an inner core of 73 members from govt agencies and not for profits leading the way

we have another 877 members that follow TUFA .

we have given 1600 kids their first fishing experience.

we have passed city council motions preventing the out right banning of fishing.

we have been successful in our first challenge this spring over Grenadier Pond

we have a recreational fishing plan with our partners.

we accomplished all this by communication, sharing knowledge and experience and building a sense of community and family.

we would rather share the fish and the fishery and clean up after others than to lose it all.

the family is growing and within 5 years we will be a force to reckon with if you were to challenge our right to fish or endanger our fishery or its habitat.

last year cost me personally $12 000. to fight the battle and begin building a fishing community.

to share the fish and the swims cost me a heck of alot more than a few fish...but its worth everything i've put into it.

each fish we catch is that much sweeter a feeling and every fish caught by someone in Toronto means something to us ...it means we can fish and we have a fishery.

i realize this all seems self righteous and a choice we made etc.....but....we had the right to fish taken from us....our freedom to fish....we share to protect what we have fought so hard to win back.

if everyone catches fish cause we showed them where to fish and how to fish then we have accomplished our mandate of TUFA

Tommy Thompson Park had a lagoon closed in February a few years back...to make a bird sanctuary....that particular lagoon was the spawning ground and winter holding area for one third of all Toronto's pike....those pike were hunted down by anglers and/or starved to death...we lost one third of our pike fishery. WE anglers had no voice and those who knew what was about to happen no communication channels to stop the situation. Two years ago they did the same thing to the carp...they closed a bay that was regarded as the largest spawning area for carp in the Toronto area....another bird sanctuary....i am told the carp were removed...i have been told they were removed dead by some and alive by others....the best place to fish for carp we lost cause we had no voice and no community.

by sharing we build trust with other anglers and we give them value to their fishing experience.

right or wrong its the best we feel we can do....

i sleep well at night knowing we are trying our best to protect the fishing rights and fishery of Toronto.

i did not sleep well March 2012 until July 12 2012 if at all.

in summary its a catch 22 in part...supporting why not to share info...but a complete loss if we can not fish at all or our fishery is destroyed without our protection we need an active community of anglers who value their fishery and their right to fish...

Edited by tangledline

Very noble effort & accomplishment above. Shame we will all get tarred with the same brush. There sure are some disgusting "fisherman" out there though. Eventually they will ruin it for all of us. We will have to be vigilant in our mission to keep the shorelines clean. Many times I have taken a garbage bag of junk out of a swim. I used to think this was casual once /year fisherman, but soon found out that those fishing carp were also to blame. If people cannot respect the environment, IMO they should not be able to fish at all. That's just a personal opinion but it sickens me that much. I don't get to fish so much these days & really don't have the time to clean up after a bunch of slobs either. AND I really hate fishing in a garbage dump.

Let's keep it clean guys, our future for fishing may depend on it!

Atb Carpsava

What a load of nonsense and completely unproductive drivel. Dave made this post to promote the park as a great place to visit and fish. Keep up the great work Dave and pay no attention to people want to ruin a good post and that don't even comprehend what you are about.

Have to also disagree with you Lorne! When I moved to Burlington, it was Shawn who showed me all the spots to fish. We have been doing that ever since and the fishing has lead to a great friendship. His videos also inspired me to do my own & through YouTube & Shawn I have met with two more amazing guys, Tony & Jamie. This is what got me into fishing, big fish, good people & good times . The few times I am in Canada I make it a habit to meet up with the boys and get out & have some fun fishing times. I agree with Tangled line, theres tons of spots out there and its ours to fish & discover. I am also ready to share swims as I have i the past but dont like seeing them trashed! This kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated.

Hats off to you tangled line. I really enjoy reading your posts and admire the big carp you catch. Hope to see you on the banks some day to share stories and tactics, until then keep posting as many of us enjoy your contribution and passion for the sport.

Scouting at Tommy Thompson Park is a slow process...we only get out one day a week...this week we were at a charity fishing event for Big Brothers and Big Sisters called Catch A Dream...Pro Angler Dave Chong is the organizer and it was held at Lake Simcoe. I mention this event because it was one by a Kid who caught a 26 pound carp....

Sunday we got out to Tommy Thompson...early...turns out early is way better...5am to 1pm the carp eat but it slows down the later it gets. We confirmed our previous locations with several catches....We later tried the western beach side of the spit....midway along the park...reward a 30lb carp in 15 minutes of trying....then the worst of the days rain came and we did not get bites thereafter. The western coast has sand beaches for 1/3 of the coast...no snags...lots of room....no people...windy at times yes...waves yes during storms but my buddy still got a thirty....lots of room for a CAG visit. The biggest draw back we found was washed up garbage and red ants if one strayed too far back from the water's edge...you would not want to camp here nor are you allowed too.

I tried to gain access to shoreline of other areas that looked promising and used up a quarter of the day trudging through narrow paths and getting eaten by red ants and lots of other bugs...oh well that's all part of the process.

we saw lots of rabbits and unique birds ...snakes and other wildlife...plenty of the unexpected...keeps you entertained on the long and winding road...

I have been told this park may open 7 days a week soon ...like this year...the debate is almost resolved.

Conclusion.....the western shoreline holds enormous opportunity....the eastern shoreline we have not even tried yet.

Our proven grounds has turned out to be a carp highway...new pods every hour...

the inner lagoons offer lots of opportunity but only to found fishing holes...the carp are in choice spots and 70 percent of the lagoon is snag territory.

Note of interest...While staring across at Cherry Beach it dawned on us that the shoreline and the lake bottoms and structure were similar there....Cherry Beach is red ant free...easily accessible...overnight camping possible...

we will try it out very soon.

I only caught 1 23lb carp as it took me 6 hours to realize I had equipment issues...I knew I was losing fish...I just did not understand why...I blame Peter my fishing buddy cause he kept catching carp and distracting me from my problem..lol..he caught 7 carp and lost a few too. We spend half the time fishing and the other half scouting or analysing what were seeing and how the conditions are affecting different areas of this huge park.

At our secret not so secret swim that we visited on the way home we spotted 7 to 10 carp over 40 and another dozen over 30...we baited and left them alone...conditions were not right...but we wanted to give them some freebees.

as much as people try to catch here they give up when the carp ignore their offerings....its the toughest place to catch but the most rewarding...all the conditions must be met or your not gonna catch a thing....the window of opportunity is that small.

Thanks Dave. Will be in touch shortly . Nice carp. :)

Edited by hammercarp

Sunday June 09

5am to 11am

Peter and I went to try an earlier slot...

Coyote casing rabbits ran within 10 feet of me on the paved road through the park.

I saw no less than 2 dozen rabbits

beavers spent an hour swimming back and forth through the swim.

as soon as I put the go pro camera in to film them they went away...logic was if you try to photo they will disappear and we can fish...worked.

I caught 3 lost two and Peter lost three and caught two.

Highlights 15lb mirror and a 28lb common caught but losing a mid twenty mirror...unstoppable run to a breakoff.

Peter catching a personal best 33.5lb that took him around obstacles forcing him into the water waist deep and ruining his camera and 2/3 our pictures lost.

sunny days early fishing is way more productive at Tommy Thompson...we viewed 70 carp approx. swim through our swim.

june09029.jpg

june09014.jpg

Edited by tangledline

Wow, some excitment! Gorgeous fish both, and what might have been with the break off. Congratz on that beautiful PB and mirror.

Great report on your very eventful day! And I hope the camera wasn't too expensive.

Very nice, and sharing spots do have benefits. I've got to go to orilia and was looking for a few spots to fish that i don't normally get to go to, I'm trying to turn a drive to orilia and back into a two day fishing session in random cities and regions on my way back. Without looking at forums like this I'd have no chance of finding decent spots in big municipalities, or small ones for that matter. But since few posts of various groups and talking to various ppl, I've found out about a few spots that can fill two days for me. To me I'm still discovering, just with some guidance.

Sunday June 09

5am to 11am

Peter and I went to try an earlier slot...

Coyote casing rabbits ran within 10 feet of me on the paved road through the park.

I saw no less than 2 dozen rabbits

beavers spent an hour swimming back and forth through the swim.

as soon as I put the go pro camera in to film them they went away...logic was if you try to photo they will disappear and we can fish...worked.

I caught 3 lost two and Peter lost three and caught two.

Highlights 15lb mirror and a 28lb common caught but losing a mid twenty mirror...unstoppable run to a breakoff.

Peter catching a personal best 33.5lb that took him around obstacles forcing him into the water waist deep and ruining his camera and 2/3 our pictures lost.

sunny days early fishing is way more productive at Tommy Thompson...we viewed 70 carp approx. swim through our swim.

june09029.jpg

june09014.jpg

Great looking fish. They're beuts! Thanks for sharing with us.

Very nice, and sharing spots do have benefits. I've got to go to orilia and was looking for a few spots to fish that i don't normally get to go to, I'm trying to turn a drive to orilia and back into a two day fishing session in random cities and regions on my way back. Without looking at forums like this I'd have no chance of finding decent spots in big municipalities, or small ones for that matter. But since few posts of various groups and talking to various ppl, I've found out about a few spots that can fill two days for me. To me I'm still discovering, just with some guidance.

I met you at the CCIW fish-In in May. Congrats on winning the big fish pot. There are lot's of places around Hamilton that are popular swims. Shoot me a message if your interested in joining me and possibly meet some more local carp nuts. We're probably hosting some more fish-In's for this year. You are welcome to come down and run off with more money lol

Mark

june15

sat on one of the carp highways for the first half of the day and went 8/15 curiously they were all smaller than the norm....no biggies...later in the day I located a swim wher ther were only biggies and no smallies. the smallies are in eating mode and the largies are not eating. found some high thirties but they would not eat bottom , top, mid . I just could not be frustrated long today with so much opportunity. I saw trout and pike and it was the bass opener but who really notices when you have "carp madness" like I do. the summer carp habitat has established...weedbeds are huge...just got to get this spawning thing over with soon. the lagoons have a fill and empty current feature and I noticed that the carp feed when they fill and travel directionally with the current when moving.