Carp Anglers Group Forums

Found hundreds of huge carp ....my new swim

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, sounds like your swim is getting a facelift there Tangled. And it's being funded corporately.

Funny the negative comments left by posters at the end of the article. I guess you can find the negative in anything, but it sounds like a win for fish( and fisheman )to me.

What is really interesting is that you have lots of carp and a great diversity of other species as well. Thanks for posting that Dave.

That's what I always think about when I think of a great fishery like Kawartha Lakes. Muskie, bass, walleye and carp. All co-existing. Those who want carp removed from systems would have you believe it's not possible.

June 23 we hit Tommy Thompson Park once again....

A fishing buddy who was flyfishing caught a 43 lb by wading out into the bay....i saw the pics...monster...he was fishing 200yards from us around a bend further into a bay. Broke his rod tip landing the beast...a guy in a fishing kayak trolling for pike took the pics.

Inner Park fishing 6am until noon ....Peter a 35lb and 34lb and a 25lb....I got five couple teens and three over 20lbs.

West coast fishing noon until 3pm...Vanna two 25lb ....i got a 28lb and a 23lb

Notes:West Coast was extremely busy with pods of 5 to 10 swimming past every five to ten minutes...some stoppped to eat some were just passing through with mating on their mind...these pods hugged the shoreline....margins were good fishing opportunities late in the day along the West Coast.

Notes:Inner Park margins were best in early morning then slow by noon...the deeper areas held the bigger carp and were better as the day grew older.

Notes:Outer Harbour 4pm until 6pm we spotted carp bigger than my early season 43lb...much bigger...surrounded by 30-40 30lbs....,we were excited until it was reallized that this was not a dinner party but mating area...eating was not on their minds...too bad as we have never seen as many big ones gathered together...i have only once seen first hand a carp as big in my life...here were a bunch...note there were another 100 in the 20lb range....

At times these huge 40 to 50 lbs were within five feet of us...we were awe struck...like sharks stealthly cruising...These carp will mate and then return to the deeper areas and we will not have access to them again until next spring i would assume. We actually were satisfied just observing them...it was an incredible opportunity.

a few pics from this outing...

Last note.....anyone allergic to red ant bites may want to bring an epi pen or avoid this area all together....the heat has stirred up the ant army...i was bitten no less than 40 times...it was not pleasent...wading in waders or boat or inner tube and you would avoid these problems and have far greater access than we have. canoe or kayak or tube would be ideal. There is no shade by the water...if its hot ...you need sunscreen and as much water as you can carry....seriously it reminds me of the westerns where Clint Eastwood has been in the desert without water for days....i was so thirsty all day.!

What is really interesting is that you have lots of carp and a great diversity of other species as well. Thanks for posting that Dave.

yes i see pike and trout regularly in areas of current....lots of bass in marina areas look around floating mooring stations...again access by boat improves chances...the Coca Cola investment will build some more shoreline access areas in the future but that will be two years away. lake trout chase bait fish in around a suken ship on the most south eastern bay of the park on occassion too...with a little TLC from the TRCA this Park will only get better as a fishing destination...the last 15 years its been for the more adventureous...facilities are improving...washrooms openned two weeks ago at the bird watching facility half way into the park. now if they just installed water supply facilities throughout the park...i suggested that last week!

How accessible is TT from the water? I'm imagining because it's on a spit of land then access would be great, unless there are huge swathes of out of bounds areas for nesting birds and to preserve the natural habitat.

• 1 year later...

I just saw this posted on Youtube. My hats off to you Arvand. You are the master of gentle persuasion. Apparently all objections to opening up the park for other carp anglers to enjoy have disappeared.

I enjoyed the dialogue on this thread. Let me interject an idea here. Our Trout Unlimited chapter hosts a cleanup along the main road on our home river here in Tennessee. We pick up trash for about 2-3 hours. The bags in this case are placed along the road and the forestry service picks them up as we have a great working relationship with them. Then we finish the day with a hot dog lunch and lots of time visiting. Many of us then head for the upper river and wet a line. In addition to the chapter members, we have had students from a local college science club and high school students helping. We advertise it in two local newspapers. Might I suggest, if possible, to have a group do a clean up periodically at the park/parks. It might be that the local governments would appreciate the help plus it is good PR for carpers. I have to agree that it is a shame for people to leave trash. If you can carry it in, you can carry it out. What gets me is people will dump trash with spitting distance of a trash can.

• 2 weeks later...

We did just that. In spring of 2014 TUFA organized a shoreline cleanup of 1.5 kilometers of shoreline in this park. We received a great turnout and the shoreline cleanup was a huge success. Getting permission from the TRCA the conservation group that owns and operates the park was difficult because they were worried about the damage to habitat and disruption to nesting birds...all concerns were dealt with successfully. We can only fish the site on weekends as it is considered a construction site on weekdays. Many anglers sneak in on weekdays giving the rest of us a bad name with the authorities. I love fishing there but injured leg early this year and it is too much for me to hike out there on a regular basis this year....maybe next year.

I just saw this posted on Youtube. My hats off to you Arvand. You are the master of gentle persuasion. Apparently all objections to opening up the park for other carp anglers to enjoy have disappeared.

had a great day out there with Arvand and the guys - one of the best days of the year for me so far. lots more wildlife out there this year too - TT really is a credit to Toronto.

not sure who had the objections you are on about.

unfortunately there has been quite an increase in litter in the spots this year but I guess #### happens when you get more people heading out there. we have been tidying it all up after every trip to try and keep the place looking beautiful.

anyone want to hook up for a trip out there then lmk and we can arrange something.

also hat doffed to David and TUFA again - these guys have the anglers best interests at heart and do an amazing job. David is a great example of what it takes to lead an organisation and do what it takes to get noticed in a world full of noise and makes people want to get involved. The man has a passion I have rarely seen.

I've had a very busy spring this year and not had a chance to help out (I feel quite ashamed given the amount those guys have done) but have been admiring from afar. I will certainly be trying to help out next year and recommend to anyone that doesn't follow their FB page should log on, sign up and check them out.

Here are some links to the park https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tommy-Thompson-Park/118039041681036 Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g155019-d3497880-Reviews-Tommy_Thompson_Park-Toronto_Ontario.html and http://tommythompsonpark.ca/. The park is named for a Canadian painter . Tommy Thompson painted landscapes and was part of the Group of Seven, He died canoeing in Algonquin Park.

Here is one of his more famous works showing a windswept pine on the western shore of Georgian Bay.

post-2981-0-97997900-1406104603.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have only fished Tommy Thompson Park this year a few times due to a leg injury. Each time I have been out I was unable to fish my preferred spot or conditions were very poor. I was able to get out Aug 04 and although my preferred spot was being fished ...the conditions were decent. I tried a pond where I had not been successful in a couple previous attempts and was rewarded with a couple carp in a short period of time in late morning. August is not the preferred time for catching the 30 plus sizes we were catching last spring but the area does offer mid 20's year round. The 30 plus size is a spring early summer phenomenon. Catching mid 20's a bicycle ride from downtown Toronto on weekends is definitely a saving grace for a city that is under constant construction and its highways exiting the city are at a standstill with traffic. Tommy Thompson Park is one of many places that carp can be caught around Toronto.The abundance of carp and the isolated conditions of the park make it a better choice than many of the other spots around Toronto. Example if there has been a heavy rain then the conditions at Humber River, Don River, Rouge River and the other tribs make fishing in the rivers, river mouths and surrounding bays difficult and at times unsafe. The Toronto Harbour carp fishing also declines for days after a heavy rain. Ashbridges Bay becomes impossible to fish for a week after a rain due to the sewage treatment plant located in the bay and the storm water discharges.

The Toronto Islands and Tommy Thompson park become the options of choice and the fishing conditions actually improve after a major summer rain storm.

TRCA has announced that fishing access points will be improved at Tommy Thompson Park and the Toronto Islands by end of next year. Funding and planning were secured late last year and into this year.

Notes on carp fishing this year around Toronto. The pods are fewer and smaller in member numbers.

The carp are healthier and in better condition. The runs and fights this year are better...the carp appear to have more energy. The carp are being pressured more with the number of carp anglers in this area having increased ten fold. The carp are more cautious at eating and appear to be well fed and not as desperate for our offerings. Because the pods are smaller we will find 2-4 carp eating at one time rather than 5-10 at one time. The number of pods that are visiting swims is significantly down as well...to about a third of last year. We are not seeing bays with hundreds of carp spread across them as we did in the past. Carp Gates have been installed at Humber River Marsh (last year), Mimico Creek (few years ago) and at Tommy Thompson Park Cell1 a few years back. As well embayment 1 at Tommy Thompson was physically closed off (2 years ago) to all fish for a bird sanctuary. We used to se hundreds of carp using embayment 1 to bask in the sun during the spring and summer months.

So carp fishing in Toronto has changed with the year's weather conditions, food sources and man's interference. The numbers are down but many of the fights have been remarkable. Year to year one must expect changes and adapt. We are optimistic that carp fishing will improve over the next couple of years as the carp adapt to the man made changes. The fishing access points that will be built across the city will definitely improve the fishing experience. The mouth of our Don River is going to be naturalized and there will be two mouths. The airport run way at Billy Bishop Airport may be expanded into our harbour and my change fishing there. Ontario Place which has had limited public access will reopen as a park and with a trail in 2017. Changes abound.