Carp Anglers Group Forums

Was out tonight for some carping. I was fishing a 3 1/2oz semi fixed bolt rig with a tight line. I had 3 very short runs where by the time I picked up the rod the run was over. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to ensure longer runs. I fished this way for a while now and have never really had this problem. Any insight is appreciated

thanks Darrin o was using a hair rig with 6 inch hookilink (braid)

Edited by badapples

Sorry I didnt introduce myself, I thought I had posted here before. My names Darrin Im from the gta and am an avid sportsman. I enjoy many types of fishing, mainly for migratory trout and salmon through the later fall and into the spring. Once that slows down I start to carp fish ( alot more last 2 years) aswell I enjoy catching walleye and perch in the winter and summer as they are great table fare.

I also love to tie flies, jigs and other handmate baits, this is why I love carping so much because you can cateh them on my own bait concouctions.

I fish both euro and paylake and also enjoy waggler fishing

glad to be part of this community Darrin

How long is your hair from the hook to where the bait sits. Check your hooks and last maybe a shorter hook link. Won't really know or cant tell you much till I see it. It can be a number of thing the ones I said are just basoc ones. It Could even be other small fish hitting it

Sorry I didnt introduce myself, I thought I had posted here before. My names Darrin Im from the gta and am an avid sportsman. I enjoy many types of fishing, mainly for migratory trout and salmon through the later fall and into the spring. Once that slows down I start to carp fish ( alot more last 2 years) aswell I enjoy catching walleye and perch in the winter and summer as they are great table fare.

I also love to tie flies, jigs and other handmate baits, this is why I love carping so much because you can cateh them on my own bait concouctions.

I fish both euro and paylake and also enjoy waggler fishing

glad to be part of this community Darrin

Welcome.

Welcome to the forum, try a longer hook link, I was having the same problem this spring and tried a longer hook link. Seems to be working because I have'nt had the problem again. Iwent to a 10 inch hook link.

Dave

Unless it is a propblem with the rig or what its laying on sometimes it just happens like that because of how the fish are dealing with it, ive had that happen and then the next trip out with exactly the same rigs everything works like it should.

I assume it was the same rig since you in Canada

Maybe the hook was dul or had a bent point

I usually first sharpen hook after I miss a run and change the rig if it happens again

Welcome to the forum...Sounds like turtles, They cause many short runs in some of my swims... Also line bumps could cause it, carp running into the line...The best thing to do is leave the rig out there and don't reel in on a short run.... Hope this helps...

Sounds like carp bumping into the line too me. Happened to me twice today. Waters warming and the mating urge is growing carp are on the move. The area I was fishing creates a high line angle for me from rod tip to bait and unless you have your rod tip down to run your line right on bottom you'll have bumps. I snagged one last week - buzzer went and line was peeling and when the fish came in the hook was embedded on the front fin

I've been fishing slack line when the wind will allow it

Sounds like a classic line bite try fishing closer in or use slack lines, unlikely if your using a hair rig a big lead and a short link they are getting away with it unless the space between the hook and bait is to long.. let us know a bit more about your rig setup

Lots of good suggestions here. I agree with Fang. Sometimes "short runs" are the result of active fish that are not feeding heavily they are " line bumps" .

I have seen this behavior every spring . It could be that they are getting excited prior to the spawn . I also suspect that this may be the result of changing water temperatures.. They may be acclimatizing their bodies to the warmer water. We know it takes a few days for a fishes metabolism to adjust to changes in water temperatures.

You could try some things to get their attention but first I would check my rig for a dull or turned hook.

Definitely line bumps, nothing wrong with your rig or setup..Try using a backlead to pin you line to the bottom...I had the same problem and backleads worked wonders...

Guest BCLT

line bumps are not a problem - this isn't England where the fish feel the line and peace out lol - here, line bumps are great, that way you know fish are in the area......

Word of SOLID advice here......... if your not getting hook ups when your getting short RUNS...........always assume your rig is crap. Unless of course you enjoy driving 3 hours to blank lol

Thats a good one, but tell the 25 carp this past weekend that were line shy and yes a backlead was needed...BTW I had a few short runs do to line bumps and I was using a perfect rig setup..

Guest BCLT

Thats a good one, but tell the 25 carp this past weekend that were line shy and yes a backlead was needed...BTW I had a few short runs do to line bumps and I was using a perfect rig setup..

Your funny man! lol - is the same 25 fish you caught after I baited up Little Lake lol - I was amazed to see pictures of you literally in the exact spot a few of us were fishing prior lol - But then again that's the way to do it........see a post of a haul session, start FB people to get info and plan your trip! And that my friend is how you get a sponsorship! Not hard work, not paying your dues............just going where others fish and use a backlead :)

Darrin - was it actually taking line from your spool? if it was then it probably not a line bite and your rigs are to blame.

don't worry too much about it though - it happens to everyone and could be down to a multitude of things. from hook types, hair length, rig length, bait size, hook size, baiting situation and the spot you are fishing. you are getting pickups in the first place and that's half the battle - they are eating where you put your bait and eating your bait - you are most of the way there. your rig is a good start but may need tweaking slightly.

if it happens again I would wait until you are sure the fish is taking line from the spool. if it is then start by making sure your hook is nice and sharp (sometimes the point can be bent over easily). then start adjusting the length of your rig then the length of your hair. as a basis for all my fishing in Ontario, I now use a 12 inch hooklink and a longish 2 " hair - I do this becasue the bottom is littered with all sorts of debris and the baiting here (corn) usually means the fish are moving around when they are feeding. play around with your rig to see what happens - you might find that you stop getting any takes at all (change back immediately or do the opposite of what you have just done)

I would go as far to say that you should ignore everything you have read about rigs in the European media - it is for very different fishing than over here and you will just get too confused - most of the crap in the mags is there to sell you kit and none of it is based on Canadian fishing. keep it simple.

if they are are falling off then adapt your fishing to keep them on. play around and have fun doing it. think about how a carp hooks itself and then work from there (it's not all about sucking and blowing). successful anglers usually have one rig for their fishing but that is usually because they only fish one way and become masters at it. different ways of fishing require different rigs. there is no definite answer. find your own way and have some fun doing it.

good luck.

I switched over to Sufix fast sink braid on one of my reels and when the wind allows I fish on a semi-slack line AFTER I sink the tip of my rod on the cast and make sure my line is down on bottom. Sure gets exciting when you start to see the line jump around with this set up. A lot of the time I'm on the rod before the buzzer actually goes off

Good tip on the backlead I've never thought about that - It would come in handy when the wind is up a bit

Can you help me out with a bit more on what type of sinker, spread position and weights. I'm assuming a bit more is required than weighting down a pop up rig and how far up the line do you put the sinker

Shawn your a big talker behind the screen... That post you just wrote is totally uncalled for, are you drinking??

BTW I didn't see any photos of you there, I was told to go there by a good friend Nick, hes been going there for many, many years, way before you even knew about carping..

Just relax and have a beer or two...

Actually I'm not going to fuel your stupidity and ruin the OP thread..You the newbie sorry "PRO"

Edited by Ontariocarper

Were you using a pack/method or PVA? If so it could be the fish feeding in the pack/method/pva and brushing the hook link, or the hook barely catches on a fin then comes off.

If you were not using any of those 3, then there are plenty of other reasons. Fish prefering or eating your chum and not hook bait, therefore brushing it. A dull hook, line bumps by non carp as well.

The rig can also be an issue, but if it has worked before, I would hesitate to call it crap as some on here have. Can't make that judgement without seeing the rig.

I would not immediately up the weight either. I don't think I would go over 4oz unless current forced it, and I have good success with 1 and 2oz leads when I can get away with using them. If it is a small hook, maybe it isn't getting good purchase in the lip, maybe go to a wider gap.

The multitude of issues it could be is extensive. Sometimes fish are light biters, sometimes they are aggressive based on factors such as water and proximity to spawn. The rig could be a great rig, but just not for the condition it was being used in as well. There is a reason there is a variety of rigs and sizes.

Keep experimenting and playing around with it and you will get it! Good luck and tight lines!

Welcome aboard Darrin!

We have all at one time or another found ourselves in the same situation; getting the short bites. I recall a particular day during a tournament in Wisconsin where everyone was complaining about the short bites. I had a few where I would actually get a run and then nothing. It was a mad scramble adjusting hook link lengths and changing hook and lead sizes. By the second day we all pretty much had it figured out in our own ways.

Figuring them out is all part of the fun. The many details and variations in rigs and bait make the difference. There are fishermen who actually believe they can catch a carp anytime- this is their fantasy. :lol: There are times though when it is an easy catch and others when it takes time to figure them out.

Hi Darrin,

A simple way to check for those problematic bites, REMOVE your bait. Recast & wait , I know this wastes a bit of time but if you still gets aborted takes then these will be line bites or liners. A back lead mostly helps but if the bottom is snaggy it may not help at all. Sometimes there are so many fish in an area you cannot avoid them, & they may not be feeding in that area. So you may have to move area. Sometimes the fish WILL be rig wary. Lets think about this, many people loose feed bait in an area, probably several hundred loose fed kernals of corn. Fish pick these up ONE by one. Sometimes they will avoid more than one grain !

Food for thought, many things to consider, but it is all part of the fun in carpin.