Carp Anglers Group Forums
jdefreitas

Bollie/Doughball question

All,

Just curious as I heard this guy at a local pond tell me that oatmeal and peanut butter mix rock to catch carp there. If I am just fishing a basic sliding sinker rig (carolina style), how would I go about rigging a bait like that since the ball is bigger than a size 6 hook?

Would I just cover the hook so it's not exposed? Would I use a treble?

Haven't learned the hair rig yet and am just trying to keep it simple, but mix up the baits. Any simple rigs with common terminal tackle I can use for a bait like this on the bottom?

Thanks in advance.

Do not use a treble hook. A single hook is plenty.

You can cover the hook with the doughball. That's how it was done for years and years and caught thousnads of fish. It would be better to tie a hair rig and tie on 6mm or bigger bead and mold the dough around the bead. That leaves the hook exposed, giving you a better chance of hooking up. If you want to try that look at youtube for hair rig tying videos. Just use whatever line you have, you don't need expensive coated braid. Experiment a bit and see how it goes. Peanut Butter Oat doughballs do rock!!

Do not use a treble hook. A single hook is plenty.

You can cover the hook with the doughball. That's how it was done for years and years and caught thousnads of fish. It would be better to tie a hair rig and tie on 6mm or bigger bead and mold the dough around the bead. That leaves the hook exposed, giving you a better chance of hooking up. If you want to try that look at youtube for hair rig tying videos. Just use whatever line you have, you don't need expensive coated braid. Experiment a bit and see how it goes. Peanut Butter Oat doughballs do rock!!

This bead on a hair rig

So should I put a small leader with the bead above a swivel so it doesn't slide and isn't too close to the hook?

I can try both covering the hook and doing the bead thing. Will mix up a batch for Friday and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the advice fellas.

SoCal, still size 6 hook or would you upgrade one size up so the hook is slightly bigger? Also, what is the best way to mix the bait? Do you premake them or use water at the site to mold the oatmeal and add peanut butter in before rigging up?

Edited by jdefreitas

Yes a standard sliding sinker/running rig is fine. Same basic rig as a paylake rig, but smaller hair rigged hook. Make sure the #6 hook you are using is strong enough. I know from experience a 20+ will straighten a #6 Mustad sproat hook. If it's a strong hook, there's no need to go bigger than a #6. I always make my doughball as a chunk ahead of time and use river/lake water to make it the perfect consistency as I make each doughball as I need it. I make it a little on the dry side at home using spring water, not city water.

So you do use water at home, or not? By "chunk" do you just mean you take the oatmeal mix and peanut butter and roll them together into one batch and then separate it into balls at the lake? Or do you use a little water at home and then add as needed at the lake as you make individual balls?

I make it into one chunk at home, by that I mean one big piece. I use spring water either from a tap if you have spring water or from a bottle of spring water. I make the doughball entirely at home but a little on the dry side, then I break off a piece to make the ball, add a little river / lake water to make it the right consistency, then mold it around the hook/bead. I hope this clarifies it, because I'm running out of ways to explain it. :P

I gotcha man. Sorry for the ignorance bud. I will give it a go for Friday with your suggestions. Thanks alot man. Can't wait to get out and give it a try.

Depends on how tough the mix is. If mix is soft enough, put it around a good sized hook paylake style, then when fish bites set the hook and it should have no issue getting through to the lip.

I've used a similar dough years ago this way. Hair rig and bead just wasn't yielding the results I got from putting it right on the hook.

Mc, what size and type of hook are we talking about here? Not familiar with "paylake style". In my experience I haven't needed to set the hook yet with the carp I've caught, so this is a different technique than I am used to.

Thanks for the info. Making the mix tonight when I get home. Is it better to let it sit in the fridge or in an open average temperature room since I am not using it until Friday?

Setting the hook is dependent on how tough the mix is. I used size 2 hooks for dough baits, when using paylake rigs I use 1/0 hooks with puffs, but can go up or down in size depending on a ton of factors.

You may not have to set the hook, but when they start running off it can do some good giving it a good set. Mr. Big calls it breaking their legs. When I use euro gear I let them run, then lift the rod. When I use my short rods and paylake hooks, I give it a firm pull.

A lot comes just from experimenting what works for you and your setup. I would keep it cool and not room temp to avoid mold.

To me paylake style is on hook rather than on a hair. True paylake style uses a pack bait as well.

If I were told I was fishing with a dough bait and that's all I could use, I would use a slip sinker, swivel, 6inch hook link and a size 1 hook, probably an Owner hook. I would cast out and set the hook when the fish starts moving off with my bait.

That said I have not tossed a dough bait in years (probably 5 or more). When I fish top water floating bread I also set the hook when they take and turn.

Edited by mcwrestler

Thanks so much man. I am going to pick up some larger hooks that you recommend here for my session this Friday.

Lots of great info. Thanks again.

OWNER SSW BAIT HOOKS SZ 1 (51 PCS) 5311-101 or Owner SSW Bait Hook SZ 1/0 (46 PCS) 5311-111

are what I use for puff fishing and I believe what mc is referring to.

For puff fishing I never ever set the hook. They always scream off with it and I just reel tight and hold on. They are most likely already hooked when they swim off and if not, reeling the line tight as they run will hook them tight without the chance of pulling a hook from tearing their mouth. Different strokes for different folks I reckon.

All,

Just curious as I heard this guy at a local pond tell me that oatmeal and peanut butter mix rock to catch carp there. If I am just fishing a basic sliding sinker rig (carolina style), how would I go about rigging a bait like that since the ball is bigger than a size 6 hook?

Would I just cover the hook so it's not exposed? Would I use a treble?

Haven't learned the hair rig yet and am just trying to keep it simple, but mix up the baits. Any simple rigs with common terminal tackle I can use for a bait like this on the bottom?

Thanks in advance.

Trebles, pfft................... quads are the way to go----------if they're legal where ya fish............ LOL

IGMtachiuoTrebleSwivels.jpg

They have dough hooks with springs if ya find you're having trouble keeping your bait on the hook, here:

http://www.psfishing.com/fishing-hooks-speci-dough.html

I've seen those spring loaded ones at Walmart (super centre by me) and never knew what they were for.

So some here say yes to trebles, others don't. Is it an ethical dilemma or just different techniques and tactics for different anglers and situations? Not trying to stir stuff up. I just want to make sure if I go treble that I won't catch hear from other carpers on here or in person.

All CAG events prohibit the use of treble hooks as do major tournaments for carp.

A single hook will do you just fine and you will not have to risk other anglers getting worked up about it.

As a rule, trebles are a big no go.

Edited by mcwrestler

Figured as much. Seeing as I have caught all of mine on a size 6 hook and only lost maybe 4 out of roughly 25 runs or so far, I didn't think trebles would be necessary. Will stick to the 6's and grab some 1's or 2's for the dough baits.