Carp Anglers Group Forums
Reckless1

Misinformation

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have only been after Carp for about one year now. And it is great, I enjoy catching a variety of fish but with Carp you get a lot of action and some amazing fights. I have attached a link below that I found while reading a nearby Newspaper (online). It's misinformation and backwards ideals bothered me enough to open my first "thread".

http://www.freep.com/article/20130519/SPORTS10/305190095/lydia-lohrer-outdoors-carp-bow-hunting

I feel your pain, badly informed articles like this turn my stomach,Buy a bow and be a hero :barf: 1 2 10

Poorly researched, hastily written article. Carp are a great sport fish and have grown in Europe in harmony alongside Pike and other big fish for thousands of years. The only reason to kill them is if you enjoy killing for no reason.

Poorly researched, hastily written article. Carp are a great sport fish and have grown in Europe in harmony alongside Pike and other big fish for thousands of years. The only reason to kill them is if you enjoy killing for no reason.

Could not be said better. No problem in Europe but problem here. Simple America dont like to learn from others they always knows best... sad but true. Simple thinking could solve the problem and bring money because of carp fishing here...maybe one day they will learn this lesson

It seems they are marking it up as an over population problem. If this is really true you would think that the DNR could find a more humane way of controlling the population of carp. It cracks me up that they refer to these bow hunters as superheros. Really? More like glorified poachers. I see nothing wrong with hunting for food or for sport. As long as the resource is not abused. It saddens me to know that we as a human race have this urge to kill and destroy. If this mentality keeps up I fear my children will not have the resources that have had.

Detroit has got bigger problems to solve than carp! Just a ploy to take away attention from more important and serious issues!

Saw some guys bow hunting for snake heads on the Potomac the other day as I was going for carp. After some discussion with them (as they were slowly idling by) I was surprised to hear that they weren't interested in carp, which was a relief to me. I have a lot of friends who hunt, but like most said here, they all do something with the body or use it's resources. It's not like these guys are taking the carp home to eat.

I am also saddened that folks kill just for the sport of it and then don't treat the resources with the respect they deserve.

I will say that I started a FB group for the tri-state area that I am hoping to get moving along better in upcoming weeks/months so that I can hype up the sport of carp fishing in our region. With the Potomac on our doorstep we have many opportunities at trophy carp here in Northern Virginia. I only have 12 members aboard, but have already started to try and arrange some fish-ins in hopes that I will get people out enjoying this and spreading the word about how fun and addicting catching large carp can be.

I am trying to do my part.

My favourite part is how proceeds from the carp kill derby goes to the the "Wildlife Education Foundation." Anyone else appreciate the irony of this?

Or perhaps 'hypocracy' would be the better term.