Carp Anglers Group Forums
jdefreitas

Yesterday's Session at Bull Run Marina

Went with my buddies Andy and Donny to try out the Occoquan Reservoir and braved 20 - 30mph winds all day. It paid off as we definitely hooked into some, but only one mirror showed up and got beached on a shallow bar on the way in, spitting my hook. Looked to easily beat my PB and guestimated it at a minimum of 13 but possibly 15 based on the fight and what we saw when it surfaced.

The bar proved to be a challenge as they were all hanging on the other side (backside) of it near a tapering trough near the channel. We hooked two that got off during the fight because of it, but the last one I got smart and pulled her left, letting her swim around the point before starting to retrieve in.

We got an 8lb 8oz, (Andy) a 9lb 4oz (myself) and a 12lb 3oz (myself). A baby 3lber started the day for my buddy Andy. This was my buddy Andy's first time out for carp and he is already coming back out with me tonight. He's itching for a double digit and has a great chance as we will be hitting the GW Parkway up towards DC for an overnight session. An addict is born.

Starting to get a lot more of my bass buds into carp :). They just have no idea how crazy these fights are until they hook up haha.

Pics attached, smallest to largest.

post-8349-0-52779600-1369508723_thumb.jp

This one had a rough spawn. It's scales were beat to a pulp and it's top fin was damaged as well. I am attributing it to that as I know the spawn was the last two weeks here and all fish seemed to be post. But, I'm not an expert or anything so that can be for everyone else to judge.

Either way, I was easy with the fish and got it back in the water quickly.

post-8349-0-02321500-1369508822_thumb.jp

Nice ones you can tell how hard the wind was blowing by looking at the water