Carp Anglers Group Forums
jdefreitas

Thoughts on Lake Anna (Thornburg, Va)

Has anyone fished here? Lots of different bank access at all the marinas, state park, etc. I have seen the owners of Anna Point hand feed common carp during the summer months at their docks, so I know they are around. It's a huge impoundment, just wondering if it would be worth the 45 minute to hour long drive if a bunch of friends and I considered doing a day (possibly camping trip) here to try and get our hands on some.

If so, can anyone recommend a good camp ground that we could throw a tent up on and have water access with?

Thanks all.

Hey PMK, you happen to know anything about any of the other bodies in the area I posted in the NOVA thread in here? Just trying to find some options locally I can give a go for shorter sessions.

Haven't done any major fishing sessions but the biggest I've pulled from Anna was around 15. I'm sure there are some others in there, maybe if you have a boat you could hit the deep channels. There are some locations you can camp if you're looking to spend a weekend.

About an hour away from you between Front Royal and Luray there is good carp fishing if you can find access. I drive 3 hours up from the western part of VA to fish for catfish and carp on the South Fork of the Shenedoah. We make the trip 3 to 4 times a year. Catch quite a few carp in the 15 lb range and have caught some over 20. I do fish out of a Jon Boat though. Bank acess to the river is mostly private but there are a lot of campgrounds that have access to the river. There is also some camping and fishing access on National Forest. We usually camp at down river canoe campground. There is not a boat ramp but you can hand launch a jon boat there.

Occoquan reservoir is alot closer and a fabulous carp lake. I live on the north side of the reservoir, send me a PM sometime if you want to go.