Carp Anglers Group Forums
Zatesta

targeting grass carp

After finding a lake that has a good population of large grassers I find myself at ends on what approach to take. I watched a school of about a dozen 30+ inch fish swimming around yesterday and a single fish that had to be around 50 inch. What are some of your favorite methods and baits when targeting grass carp?

bread on surface. freeline with fluro leader and 1/0 hook

Every grasser I ever caught was using 3 or 4 kernels of canned sweet corn, right on the hook. But I've rarely caught any if I didn't either pre-bait the swim, or at least spod out a fair amount of "freebies" when I first arrived.

When pre-baiting for grassers, I usually use soaked maize, but when pre-baiting isn't an option and I must resort to giving them some "free food" to get their interest, I'll use almost anything that might help get them active-- corn, maize, old dried out packbait, slightly moistened bread crumbs, etc.

But that's just my own personal experience. I know guys who have been just as successful (or maybe more?) using packbait and puffs -- similar to paylake style fishing.

Good luck with that 50-incher !!! :swimminfish::swimminfish::swimminfish:

I've had done luck before with popups and maize. Up to 33lbs but never targeted then. Thanks for the advice fellas

I have couple question about fishing for Grass Carp and using Cherry Tomato as bait. I will number my questions. Please feel free to pick a number and answer them if possible.

1. I hear that using Cherry Tomato is great idea. How true is that?

2. And if you DO use that, what are the procedure? As in, do you use hair rig or just bury the hook in to the tomato?

3. Would cutting the tomato on the side help or keeping it whole would be better?

4. This bait also works on Common Carp. Is that true?

I know some people that will roll cherry tomatoes in honey and use them.

5 out of 6 of the Grass Carp that we caught this past Friday were caught on a puff and Strawberry Grits. We prebaited a bit by chunking out a tin or two of corn. I'm not expert but I know what works and has worked for me:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51988-gifts-grass-carp-and-strawberry-grits/

@Ol Captain, thank you for your response and suggestion. Based on your link, I would not mind/object if you had called yourself an expert on it. :yes:

Now for the Strawberry Grits part, I found the following on another thread.

"Grit Bait

Take about a pound of "instant grits",

put in 4 packs of kool-aid.

Dampen with water, just a small ammount of water while stirring it up.

When the grits get a 'spongy' feel to them, it is ready. BE SURE NOT TO GET TOO WET, JUST A SPONGY FEEL. Put a "sugar pop" or other pick up of choice...puff, corn, boilie....and pack an egg sized ball of your packbait around it. The bait will break down leaving the pop on hook laying in center of bait."

Is this the recipe? If it is, does it have to be cool aid or can I use same amount of strawberry flavored jello?

@Ol Captain, thank you for your response and suggestion. Based on your link, I would not mind/object if you had called yourself an expert on it. :yes:

Now for the Strawberry Grits part, I found the following on another thread.

"Grit Bait

Take about a pound of "instant grits",

put in 4 packs of kool-aid.

Dampen with water, just a small ammount of water while stirring it up.

When the grits get a 'spongy' feel to them, it is ready. BE SURE NOT TO GET TOO WET, JUST A SPONGY FEEL. Put a "sugar pop" or other pick up of choice...puff, corn, boilie....and pack an egg sized ball of your packbait around it. The bait will break down leaving the pop on hook laying in center of bait."

Is this the recipe? If it is, does it have to be cool aid or can I use same amount of strawberry flavored jello?

I'll send you a PM soon.

After having some success on grassers in previous years, this year I find myself unable to catch them.

Today we were using a simple paylake rig with either a #4 or a #2 hook, and a 1-oz sliding weight. As a pickup, we used either 3 or 4 kernels of canned corn, or a corn puff. We used plain bread pack, oats pack made with cream style corn, and "forever grits" pack.

We had action on all of the above baits and pickups, including a number of "bumps and jerks", some half-hearted runs (where the fish stopped after pulling off 1 or 2 feet of line from the reel), and even 3 or 4 "solid tone" runs -- but we never hooked a single fish!!!

I've been fishing in my daughter's in-laws' subdivision lake with one of their sons. He has kept the area baited pretty well, and I spodded it again this morning before we started fishing. We saw a number of grassers cruising, and as i noted above, we did get bites. But unlike past years when I've caught grassers (at other venues -- not at this lake), we can't seem to hook the fish when they bite.

Any ideas?

Edited by needmotime2fish

Hey nmt2f...have you tried freelining? The grassers here in the Northeast are just starting to wake-up (low/mid-40 water temps)...so you have to be quick on the strikes.

Picked-up a few recently stalking / free-lining bread...6# mono, fluoro-leader & a size-1 gammy (similar to Santosh's suggestion a few posts back). Some days they go for the surface crust...others it's the bottom baits.

Hey nmt2f...have you tried freelining? The grassers here in the Northeast are just starting to wake-up (low/mid-40 water temps)...so you have to be quick on the strikes.

Picked-up a few recently stalking / free-lining bread...6# mono, fluoro-leader & a size-1 gammy (similar to Santosh's suggestion a few posts back). Some days they go for the surface crust...others it's the bottom baits.

Bread seems to outproduce all other baits when it comes to grassers. Trying what classiccat said might help you catch some.