Carp Anglers Group Forums

It's me again, Margaret. :glare: I have a spot that has carp in it. It is a mud bottom and is about 4 feet deep in the creek that flows through it. It is dry during the winter draw-down for TVA and is off the main Hiwassee River. I'll admit that it is a while since I have been there; seven miles from home- no excuse. I have seen carp cruising in it. Would it be worth baiting with boiled corn for two or three days and then fishing it? I could use my smaller rod with a baitrunner on it. Your help/advice is appreciated. I can't draw a map as I have a very short memory at my age. :Old:

When it comes down to establishing a baiting scheme, I'm certainly no expert. But I know for sure that if I knew of a similar spot that close to my home, I'd want to give it a try. :yes::yes::yes:

Good luck!

Edited by needmotime2fish

Will pay a visit to Tractor Supply this Friday. I'll fire up the stove and boil up a bunch. Have to check and see what flavorings I can scrounge up. Thanks for all you replies. I suppose this requires photos? :huh:

For the baiting, either use cracked corn, just pour boiling water over it and let it sit. If using whole corn, it can be rendered safe with simple boil and soak, but to maximize attraction: soak 48 hours, bring to boil in same water it soaked in. Boil 10 minutes or longer then back in the bucket. Once it cools it is good to use. Convert starch to sugar and increases attraction.

Might have to wait a while. Weather Channel is calling for t'storms, t'showers all next week. Good time to stay inside and tie flies, hair rigs, boil corn, make boilies and pop-ups, gather ingredients for pack bait. etc.

Bait or chum on rainy days, fish on the good days. Actually you can try a spot or two out before baiting any, if that will get you fishing a little sooner. Here are a couple that I caught down there about 4 years ago without any prebaiting.post-1716-0-40852000-1370631169.jpg

post-1716-0-17198600-1370631232.jpg

I caught those 2 in late June on the Hiwassee. I then baited some and came back a couple days later and only caught buffs. Try a spot for about 3 hours early or late in the day, if no action by then you probably will need to bait some to get action at that spot. John you don't need to flavor your chum, just flavor your hookbaits. Let me know when you do put in some chum and I will come down and see if I can catch some. :bigsmile:

Spoon, thanks for the reply. I'll see what the weather forecast for this area and act accordingly. I'll go ahead and make a trip to Tractor Supply Sunday and get ready. The carp I have seen are not real big but you never know when Moby Carp will wander in. I'll be in touch.

Spoon, thanks for the reply. I'll see what the weather forecast for this area and act accordingly. I'll go ahead and make a trip to Tractor Supply Sunday and get ready. The carp I have seen are not real big but you never know when Moby Carp will wander in. I'll be in touch.

Well they may not be too big now but if you keep feeding them they are highly unlikely to get any smaller.. ;-)

Bringing this to the top. I'm ready to go! :hi501: I got two batches of cracked corn. The first batch I soaked but got out of sequence. I soaked it for about 24 hours with vanilla, sea salt and some hot sauce. I did boil it for a while today. It formed a thick consistency, like creamed corn. The second batch was left to soak a bit too long and started to get foam on the top. I might just put it in Mason jars and sell it on the street corner. Anyway, it is in the freezer to stop the process.

Both batches were about 5 lb. of dry cracked corn. The first batch is probably about 1-1/2 gallons by volume now. Any problem with baiting with either one? I made a quickie DIY spod from a piece of plastic pipe and a piece of a swim noodle. I want to bait tomorrow AM and Wed. AM- then fish early Thursday AM. I am looking to split it up 50-50. Your advice is always welcome.

CAG= Carpers Are Great! :carprock:

Fishing off the Hiwassee River in Charleston, TN, Exit 33 off I-75. Get off I-75 and turn left on Hwy 11 to Charleston. Just before you cross the river, turn right on Water St;. goes in front of a business that used to be a building supply store. Turn right by the building on to Broadway St. There will be a backwater area on the left. There is a pavilion if it rains but I have a 12X12 canopy that we bought for our grandkids ballgames. My wife said that would also be good for fishing. Can't argue with her. Spoon sent me a couple of pix of some nice fish he caught there a couple of years ago. Maybe we'll score Carpzilla!

I'll PM my phone numbers tonight. Looking forward to seeing you!