Carp Anglers Group Forums

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been interested in carp fishing for several months, but I wish I'd found this forum sooner. It might have saved me some money :-). Thanks Austin for suggesting the site.

I live in Belleville and have several places to fish nearby. I fished a lot from 15 - 25 years old or so, but I'm only recently getting back into it again. I grew up fishing ponds, small lakes, etc in rural areas of Missouri. The more I read about carp fishing, the more I'm convinced it's a very worthy pursuit. The tackle is a little different than I'm used to, but if you're typically catching blue gill, perch, crappie and a few bass on occasion, lighter tackle is no big deal.

I've got a budget set-up now (not really a carp set-up either), but I'm sure I can convince my wife that some better equipment is a must once I actually catch a couple carp :-) I've been learning to tie the hair rig watching YouTube video tutorials, but after a stop by the Little DIpper today I realized I need to fine tune a few more things. That's not going to stop me from fishing though...there's nothing like experience to learn things (sometimes the hard way).

I look forward to meeting you guys in the future. Right now I don't know much about carp or catching them, but I'm going to learn.

Hey brian, really glad you made it to the forum! You are definetly in the right place to learn more about carpfishing! There are a lot of people willing to help you out with anything you need.

You live in a great place for carping, ford and belleville lakes have a ridiculous amount of carp in them!

I look foward to meeting you on the bank somtime soon!

Living in your area, you are spoiled :P ! Sooooo many carping opportunities right outside your door! Ford and Bellville lakes are some of the most carp populated lakes around. You should have no problem getting into them in no time flat! Look forward to meeting you on the bank soon.

Welcome aboard,

You have a lot of great anglers in the area to show ya the ropes! looking forward to meeting ya on the banks.

Tight lines,

Andy

Welcome! You've got allot of good people up there to help you out. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Welcome aboard.

My name is Daniel and I have been addicted to carp fishing for "I don't remember how long :)"

Thanks for the greetings. I appreciate it. I look forward to participating.

Welcome to CAG.

If you're like me, you'll learn more about carp fishing through this Forum than you ever thought possible.

I've fished for carp for more than 50 years, but learned more about it in the last 5 years -- since I've been a CAG member -- than I learned in the first 45.

I've fished for carp for more than 50 years, but learned more about it in the last 5 years -- since I've been a CAG member -- than I learned in the first 45.

That's what I'm hoping for. I am lucky that I found it early on so I don't have to unlearn anything just yet :-) I know nothing!

Anything I might have seen so far has been on YouTube, which is full of carp info and demo's.

Welcome to CAG!

Don't worry too much about euro carp gear if your budget is tight. You can do quite well indeed with and medium-heavy gear you might have used for other species. It is rare that you will need to fish more than 50 yrds away. Pods, alarms, and indicators are very useful; bank fishing in the 21st century! Also pay attention to good hooks and rig setups. Most of all get with area carpers and see how they catch! Learning where the carp are and how to get then to bite your bait is much more important than this rod or that reel, etc.

Good luck!

Welcome! You have come to the right place. It took me a couple of years to join. Now I'm hooked!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. There is always something to learn here from beginner to advanced or just a little trick in between to make fishing easier. You can make carp fishing as simple or as complicated as you like and most important just have fun enjoying the sport.

I've been out a few times to Ford Lake and Belleville Lake. I've caught two at Ford Lake and none at Belleville yet.

We blanked at Ford Lake today. There was a lot of algae in the water and I can't help but think that it impacted the fishing. Last week was a different story completely.

This morning there were three us and eight rods in the water, but no bites from 8 a.m. - noon when I had to chalk it up to a learning experience and head back home. The water was calm and boat traffic was very, very low. I was hoping for a good day.

It looks like we'll be heading back out Sunday afternoon.