Carp Anglers Group Forums
JGPHILLY

Hook Pulls

So I was playing a tidal carp today for about 25 minutes when the hook pulled. This fish would not give up after running up and down the river I though I had her. Boy was I wrong. As soon as she saw me she took off into deep water that's when the hook popped out. I was using size 4 Korda wide gape hooks. I made sure to apply pressure the whole . Does any one know what I could do to prevent this from happening? This fish felt a lot heavier then the 36+ I caught out of this spot.

So I was playing a tidal carp today for about 25 minutes when the hook pulled. This fish would not give up after running up and down the river I though I had her. Boy was I wrong. As soon as she saw me she took off into deep water that's when the hook popped out. I was using size 4 Korda wide gape hooks. I made sure to apply pressure the whole . Does any one know what I could do to prevent this from happening? This fish felt a lot heavier then the 36+ I caught out of this spot.

In my opinion korda hooks are over rated. They do band a lot, like parksy said Nash hook are top notch. But expensive :) that why I usr the St Lawrence hooks from resistance tackle witch are on sale now. Best hook that I have used so far :) that why I got 90packs of those :)

post-5661-0-61637600-1370994941_thumb.jp

90packs

Dang Daniel, wouldn't 89 packs a been enough ? :sorry:

I use Korda hooks, so far, no complaints, no bending, warping, they seem to stay razor sharp for a good while so long as you don't ding them on rocks or something - the points can get turned over easily otherwise. I do want to get a hook sharpener to extend their life. Have considered Nash Fang, Twister, might give a pack or two of those a bash once I start running low on my current supplies. I also have a plethora of some cheaper no-name brand carp hooks as a backup supply, they get the job done.

PS: note to self, in future remove the small green hook point rubber protector before casting your rig out and leaving it for hours - certainly helps with catching fish ! DOH !

John.

I ve done that once be4 believe it or not.. Lol thanks for the tips guys.

I have been using korda hooks this year, they are incredibly sharp but I did have two bend straight while in recently while fishing the saginaw, one was due to playing the fish poorly and having my drag set way too tight but I believe the other one was a good sized fish that simply overpowered the hook.

I don't think you could have done much different in a heat of the moment

Some of the bigger male fish with huge fins just won't give up in spring and I lost a few which felt huge

But it's still out there writhing for you

I would not use wide gapes if you paid me! Maybe for a specific rigs, but short shank wide gape hooks have a habit of falling out. Personally on tidal rivers I use a heavy forged wire hook with a slightly in turned eye. You will pull hooks due to the nature of tidal river fishing, but way less than other patterns. Owner Flyliners, fox Kuro's, Ashima Goliaths or Heavy carp. All work. For general fishing where I don't have to deal with heavy weed or snags, long shank hooks all the way although the Nash Twisters have proven them self winners.

See I like wide gape hooks and use them most all of the time now. If I had to bet on why you pulled the hook I would so you had the drag too tight. I have my drag set that the fish can still take some line with force. Too tight and it just rips through the lip.

See I like wide gape hooks and use them most all of the time now. If I had to bet on why you pulled the hook I would so you had the drag too tight. I have my drag set that the fish can still take some line with force. Too tight and it just rips through the lip.

Good advice here in my opinion, if this isn't the problem can only say I tested hooks quite a bit myself about 5 years ago and found Korda hooks to be the strongest and sharpest . But I do sharpen from the packet, and by the way the fingernail test is BS it actually dulls the point .

I think accordbw is most likely on the right track, Daniel sound like he is after another sponsor.

Without knowing all the gear you are using and the conditions, you were fishing in and your rig. Its a shot in the dark.

You said it was tidal, your hook length may have been too short especially if it was fast moving water. And you had a 3oz or 4oz lead on, short hook lengths with heavier leads they should really be discharged on the take.

Three or four ounces of lead on a short length pulls the hook in a lot of directions especially if it was fast moving water.

9 times out of 10, the problem of hook pulls is a result of the rig not being tied correctly/presented wrongly, and the hook not finding its way into the lower lip - or hinge either side. Assuming you have appreciable drag settings, a rod that doesn't 'horse' the fish (even though you are not!!) and genuinely sharp hooks, you should be in good shape. However -- anyone believing a fish only approaches a rig from the bait end (with it laid out flat - and the bait being before the lead) needs to think again! There are NO foolproof anti ejection rigs, merely some that are better than others -- WHEN tied and presented right!

Tight Lines,

Brid.

regarding cost of hooks, if you buy a hook sharpener not only do the hooks land more fish they last way longer, i get my hooks for free but i still use the jag on them after each fish

:-)

Considering the fish had been hooked for some time on the fight, I would venture to guess it ripped out and could be a drag issue, and sometimes the fish just win. Mono or braided line? I know I always use a length of mono to give me some stretch which I consider important and forgiving.

If hook pulls occur early or on pick up, I consider it a rig issue. When I loose a fish after a prolonged fight, I have usually had to drop the hammer near a snag and ripped out, or maybe it just didn't get enough lip (maybe hooked on the inside or outside at a bad angle). Considering I prefer wide gap hooks for paylake and even hair rigs, I have been getting adequate hold recently. If fish are not feeding heavy I will downsize offering and hook.

I have never done much of my own sharpening, but I may have to do that. Good idea there.

I have landed some fish with the hook barely in, I have landed other fish hooked so well, the hook bent and they still found the net.

Guest RebelCarp

You never know when your hook will pull. Even the pros have days of hook pulls.

Keep pressure on the fish the whole time not allowing any slack line during the fight. Also if you don't put the right amount of pressure on the fish when taking out the rod , that may add problems down the road also.

Far from an expert but when I read the thread, my first thought was setting the drag too tight. No matter what I'm fishing for, I let the fish work against the rod and let the drag slip a bit.

I had a Korea wide gape size 4 hook tied to the main line with 2 pieces of corn. While playing the fish I kept my drag extra loose and held the drag when the fish wasn't running to get some line back. How ever I was only using a 8.5 ft st criox steel head rod with a shimano stradic cI4.

I shouldn't say held but cupped it gently and applied pressure as needed.

Just had a thought- maybe the line got caught on something on the bottom and caused the pull????? Anyway, you need to go back an try again.

That's my plans. It just sucks knowing what would of been my new PB snap off after 25mins

Good advice here in my opinion, if this isn't the problem can only say I tested hooks quite a bit myself about 5 years ago and found Korda hooks to be the strongest and sharpest . But I do sharpen from the packet, and by the way the fingernail test is BS it actually dulls the point .

I think accordbw is most likely on the right track, Daniel sound like he is after another sponsor.

Without knowing all the gear you are using and the conditions, you were fishing in and your rig. Its a shot in the dark.

You said it was tidal, your hook length may have been too short especially if it was fast moving water. And you had a 3oz or 4oz lead on, short hook lengths with heavier leads they should really be discharged on the take.

Three or four ounces of lead on a short length pulls the hook in a lot of directions especially if it was fast moving water.

Haha that's funny Robert. But resistance looks like is going out off business that would be very nice sponsor for you :)

There is at least 8of us that use resistance hooks here in Michigan and all of those peopl love them hooks.

Robert got catch some fish and relax. If you don't like my opinion don't comment on it.

In my opinion korda hooks are over rated. They do band a lot, like parksy said Nash hook are top notch. But expensive :) that why I usr the St Lawrence hooks from resistance tackle witch are on sale now. Best hook that I have used so far :) that why I got 90packs of those :)

attachicon.gifIMAG2739.jpg

Daniel are you sure you got enough, I think you might be missing a few things lol..................................

I like the Resistance RTH3 hooks. Also use GLT Penetrator hooks with high confidence.

Just try a lot of hooks, find what you want and go with it.

Daniel are you sure you got enough, I think you might be missing a few things lol..................................

Well I am planning on ordering 30 more :)

Well I am planning on ordering 30 more :)

See, I knew you had missed something lol