Carp Anglers Group Forums

Idea for fundraisers to grow the group

Ok I have had a lot of ideas lately. I wanted to throw this one out there and get some ideas and such on this. I have talked to some past members and the reason for leaving was the number of fish ins went from some to none in certain areas. This lead to membership loss as this played a large role in those anglers staying. here is my idea, we have been doing some behind the scenes things to grow the sport and was wondering if this was possible. Ok lets say an angler buys 1 item and wants to raffle it off for fundraising to gain a fish in fund for a specific state. Lets say in PA I raffle off a prize to raise money for a fish in. Say said item costs $20+ $10 shipping and the goal is to get $30 shipped to buy another one to raffle at a later date and also gain extra money to put towards a fish in by doubling it. The overall goal amount would be at least $60 and it would run for 1 month. Anything over the doubled amount which would be $60 is donated to cag and the $30 would be used for a fish in and the other $30 would buy the same prize to raffle again later or something of equal or great value. The idea is if one person donates to get it started in a state that money will be replenished by a raffle every time around while allowing funds to be raise for more fish ins or events. Is this something CAG is allowed to do? What is your thoughts on this

1 donate prize

2 figure out prize value plus shipping amount

3 figure out an amount for raffle say $5 per chance

4 run raffle for 1 month

5 at the end of the month the raffle amount has to be at least double the amount of the prize plus shipping

6 anything over the doubled amount goes to cag as a donation

7 set up something to keep documented amount of amount to keep to buy another prize and also the state amount allotted for a fish in, person who donated prize choose which fish in to provide funds for and the goal is to improve this single event every year to turn it into a larger and larger event. Funds for other fish ins could be done on a local level but the chosen fish in per states funds would come through this raffle system

Question: is fundraising and growing CAG necessarily related? Are there fewer Fish-Ins because of lower funds, or because of lower participation?

I don't have answers here, just questions... ;-)

p.s. clearly more CAG members means more funds; not sure the opposite is true, though...

Hello Brian,

Great energy and ideas....

Just as an FYI, raffles cannot be conducted via PayPal.

I wonder if it is possible to use one of those fundraising sites where you can paypal the site and collect money that way. The names show up on who donated and then it could just go from there.

Question: is fundraising and growing CAG necessarily related? Are there fewer Fish-Ins because of lower funds, or because of lower participation?

I don't have answers here, just questions... ;-)

p.s. clearly more CAG members means more funds; not sure the opposite is true, though...

Ok my thoughts on this. Fundraising would allow for better well planned out events leading to more members. A fish in is a good incentive to join the group. I feel there are fewer fish ins for a few reasons. Number one is gas price. What used to be easy to drive a couple hours now turns into a good hit on the wallet so the number of fish ins went down. Also guys who used to organize them may have decided not to do them anymore and no one else took over.

My thought on this for the ones I have done and help do is this. People volunteer their time and money to set them up. If there was a raffle to raise money it would remove the host of the specific fish in from using their own money to make it less painful on their wallet. This would allow it to happen annually with less thought about if they can afford it or not. The key is getting more localized groups doing this because every fish in I have been to always gets a good response from passer bys who want to try out carp fishing once they see how fun it looks.

Also the thing is more CAG members equals more funds but those funds are for the club related events, site and other things and not for fish ins so this would be separate but has the potential to raise money for the club while doing so.

I know this is one that gets mentioned now and again, when i first joined there was a 10% discount from some vendors, to me this seemed to be a deal maker for a lot of people. I'm not complaining about it being gone myself but if there was an obvious benefit i think more people would pay their membership.

Maybe a one off dicount voucher from a willing vendor for 2 yrs + membership that way it would be worth it when people want bigger tackle items,

this is a loose idea i know there'd be a lot of if,whens and but's, maybe theres a good workable varition to this.

Good answers, all. I know everything takes money and/or time.

Brian, thanks for the insight into the division of club vs fish-in funding, and fish-in participant conversion to membership.

Rick, thanks for the cost input on fish-ins and the point made about the proliferation of 'free' clubs.

I've participated in CAG fish-ins/tourneys, WCC fish-ins/tourneys, TOKS contests, and have enjoyed them all. I don't see a reason to pick/choose, and they all promote CPR carping.

Mick, I understand your point, and vendors continue to be nothing but generous in providing prizes for fish-ins and tourneys. It was nice to get the discounts, too, but that's not why I'm a member of CAG (and I'm not implying thats why you are). I continue to be a member because it continues to be of value to me re: fish-ins, NACA, the forums, etc.

Mick, I understand your point, and vendors continue to be nothing but generous in providing prizes for fish-ins and tourneys.

Yes they're an exceptional bunch

It was nice to get the discounts, too, but that's not why I'm a member of CAG (and I'm not implying thats why you are). I continue to be a member because it continues to be of value to me re: fish-ins, NACA, the forums, etc.

Couldn't agree more, theres a lot more to it than that, i was just saying that there is a % that need something on paper/physical to commit any money.

I don't see were any money for a fish-in is necessary??????? The reason for lack of fish-ins is the requirements to become a chairman. Years ago it was simple as the years went on they got more and more complicated Anyone can post a fish-in All one needs to do is find a location select a good date and hope you get a few to attend!!!! Where's the money aspect?????? I gave a few suggestions a few months back I'm yet to hear anything All anyone wants to talk about is the decline of membership and the lack of interest in CAG in general and fish-in declines All I hear is suggestions that make it more confused I like when the world an CAG was simpler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see were any money for a fish-in is necessary??????? The reason for lack of fish-ins is the requirements to become a chairman. Years ago it was simple as the years went on they got more and more complicated Anyone can post a fish-in All one needs to do is find a location select a good date and hope you get a few to attend!!!! Where's the money aspect?????? I gave a few suggestions a few months back I'm yet to hear anything All anyone wants to talk about is the decline of membership and the lack of interest in CAG in general and fish-in declines All I hear is suggestions that make it more confused I like when the world an CAG was simpler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I will give my reasoning to help explain why I started this thread. I am not a chair but I have done I think 3 fish ins the past 4 years I think it was. Sure you can do a simple one which is totally fine but the money part for me comes in when I do these things. Ok the fish in I helped with 3 years ago I chummed a very large amount of bait over a few days. Cost to me was around $100 because the lake was larger and wanted to ensure any new guys had fish in the general area for the event. Could I have not baited, sure but for me when you get some new guys come and they fish for 10 hours with no fish on a harder lake the excitement quickly turns to disappointment. Also I make up starter bags for new members at the fish ins. These again cost money. I do not mind spending the money but I am sure others may not feel the same way and that is why I am trying ideas like this to help cater to others. I usually also get some prizes to give out for big common and big mirror and then do a raffle at the event as well. I noticed when new anglers get a little something they leave with an excitement because they now have a few things to try when they go back home to fish. In PA I think it is around 7 hours from one end to the other and when you get guys driving 3 hours and blank it is nice to have something to show for in a possible door prize. Sometimes we also buy some food or drinks if we are fishing for a long time.

Is all of this necessary? No it is not but this is just what has been working here for when we do a fish in. For me if all the guys leave with a great experience that carries over on their local waters. I usually try to shoot for a fish in of around 10-20 guys. We have small groups of say 3-5 that get together every so often but the gas prices have ruined getting together more so we often try to do something a little larger 2-3 times a year. Hope this explains my mentality of how we do one and why pushing for a fundraiser could help others in the same type of environment.

• 2 weeks later...

There has always been the option for state chairs to request help from the BoD. Not one ever asks. Never. The BoD is not stonewalling anyone here. If you want help to run a fish-in, then all you got to do is ask!

That being said, I have seen plenty of fish-ins in many states. Some have prizes and raffles, others don't. In the end, they were all equally successful. You make it what you want it to be.

Unfortunately, more and more people are attending fish-ins for the sole reason of trying to win something nowadays. While unfortunate, it is what it is. If you need help to run a CAG fish-in and make it attractive to other carp anglers, then please ask! Prizes, raffle items, etc. The BoD is here to help.

I know this is one that gets mentioned now and again, when i first joined there was a 10% discount from some vendors, to me this seemed to be a deal maker for a lot of people. I'm not complaining about it being gone myself but if there was an obvious benefit i think more people would pay their membership.

Maybe a one off dicount voucher from a willing vendor for 2 yrs + membership that way it would be worth it when people want bigger tackle items,

this is a loose idea i know there'd be a lot of if,whens and but's, maybe theres a good workable varition to this.

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/cag/index.php/membership/bait-tackle-discounts/

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/43888-cag-vendors-discounts/?hl=discounts

Thanks for pointing that one out, i wouldn't have known without digging around and appologies if ive offended anyone :D

Raffles are a good way to raise money for an organization but here in TN that is almost impossible. Many gun clubs and fishing clubs used to get a good amount from raffles. Now, the state of TN requires a year's advance notice of the raffle PLUS you are required to purchase a permit for $500. Needless to say, raffles are few and far between now.

I have a surefire one- jacks or better to open. :Laughter:

Put a prize up for a state record carp any of lower 48, all the usual rules single hooks, rod and line only. witnesses etc.

Make it $1000 for arguments sake, set up an accn't where members can donate towards what the club cant afford to put in it.

Make it open to anyone rather than pushing people to join to enter. Maybe some extra prizes, tackle bait etc on top if your a member

Put a prize up for a state record carp any of lower 48, all the usual rules single hooks, rod and line only. witnesses etc.

Make it $1000 for arguments sake, set up an accn't where members can donate towards what the club cant afford to put in it.

Make it open to anyone rather than pushing people to join to enter. Maybe some extra prizes, tackle bait etc on top if your a member

Interesting idea! Offering a significant cash prize for a new state record carp would, at the very least, bring the organization to the forefront and get it some much-needed publicity.

On the other hand, for a fish to be recognized as a state record, many (most ?) states require the angler to bring the fish to some location for formal identification and weighing. Usually, since most anglers don't have the necessary equipment to transport such a large fish while keeping it alive, that means that the fish is killed in the process. That goes against one of the primary goals of our group, to "promote the catch and release of trophy fish".

That presents a dilemma -- is it ever appropriate to go against the group's own C&R goal in order to further promote the group? :unsure:

Interesting idea! Offering a significant cash prize for a new state record carp would, at the very least, bring the organization to the forefront and get it some much-needed publicity.

On the other hand, for a fish to be recognized as a state record, many (most ?) states require the angler to bring the fish to some location for formal identification and weighing. Usually, since most anglers don't have the necessary equipment to transport such a large fish while keeping it alive, that means that the fish is killed in the process. That goes against one of the primary goals of our group, to "promote the catch and release of trophy fish".

That presents a dilemma -- is it ever appropriate to go against the group's own C&R goal in order to further promote the group? :unsure:

Got to be honest didn't think it right thru, but a fish that beats the state record would qualify you need not claim the record officially, which may even draw attention to that problem too.

I first got into catching carp after reading about Al St Cyr winning $250,000 for catching the state record at the ATC in 2006.

Never even considered it before. Not that I was thinking I could win that kind of money, but it opened my eyes to the sport of carp fishing.

I also like the idea of prizes for state records. I'd be willing to chip in a small monthly amount, say $5 or $10, to help fund it. If enough of us do that, it could build....

I first got into catching carp after reading about Al St Cyr winning $250,000 for catching the state record at the ATC in 2006.

Never even considered it before. Not that I was thinking I could win that kind of money, but it opened my eyes to the sport of carp fishing.

I also like the idea of prizes for state records. I'd be willing to chip in a small monthly amount, say $5 or $10, to help fund it. If enough of us do that, it could build....

im in