Carp Anglers Group Forums

Lakes with Good Carp Fishing as per MI DNR Website

According to the Michigan DNR website, the following lakes are known for carp fishing:

Big Lake, Big Seven Lake, Cass Lake, Cedar Island Lake, Crystal Lake, Heron Lake, Kent Lake, Lake Oakland, Lake Orion, Middle Straits Lake, Pontiac Lake, Proud Lake (upper & lower), Stony Creek Lake, Upper Silver Lake, Valley Lake, White Lake, Wildwood Lake, Wolverine Lake

Anybody fished any of these lakes recently?

I was actually looking for information about Newburgh Lake and found that list for Oakland County.

I also found a few references to Newburgh Lake on general fishing websites for carp in the 10 pound range, but I'm not sure how recent that was. Apparently in the 1990's they killed off all the fish and reconditioned Newburgh Lake thereby removing all the fish and starting over (78% of the fish were carp). There was also much discussion about the lack of shore fishing access at Newburgh Lake.

Out of all those lakes I have only fished Cass lake and Kent lake. I have only been to Cass twice with Brian and Brendan and we have only caught one or two fish each time but the fish have been of good size, very fat, and healthy fish. The one time I have been to Kent lake was during a fish-in two years ago and fish were caught but they were having a large die off at the time so not sure how it is now, but it used to be a very good lake. I hear Stony Creek Lake has a lot of carp in it, not sure of the size or shoreline fishing as I have never been there.

Cass Lake and Stoney Creek both look like areas I need to check out sometime. Not having been there before though, I suspect I'll need to make a day of it with the idea of trying 2 or 3 spots.

I am sure all those lakes are chocked full of carp. Just get out there and explore! You'll enjoy it so much more if you do!

Pick a spot on a map and go!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
25 minutes ago, Dan Jones said:

Hi all, I'm new to the Oakland County area having moved here from the UK. I'm looking for some good carp fishing near Birmingham, MI. Anybody have any recommendations? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi dan,

welcome. I'm in the same boat as you. I've recently moved over from the uk too. I live in grand rapids, on the Westside. If I find anywhere inbetween here and you I'll let you know. 

Matt

On 9/25/2016 at 1:36 PM, Dan Jones said:

Hi all, I'm new to the Oakland County area having moved here from the UK. I'm looking for some good carp fishing near Birmingham, MI. Anybody have any recommendations? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan I messaged you a few days ago...I live 20 min away from Birmingham