Carp Anglers Group Forums
hammercarp

Paylake gear saves the day.

I got out today but very tight on time so I chose Redhill as it is very quick to get in and out of. I went with oat pack and puffs.My pod was set up about 30 yards from the bridge and I put my pack about 15 yards out. It did not take long to get into fish. My first fish was a little guy and then a brown goldfish came to the net. As the sun moved across the sky it began to really warm things up. I was actually sweating. I was getting fish but I decided to drop some bait right off the wall about 3 ft out. It's only 2 ft. deep there but I know that when the sun hits that wall it reflects heat into the water and the carp love it in the fall and early winter. I kept peeking over the wall and sure enough after a bit I saw bubbles spritzing up. It was pretty cool because I could see a twin trail of bubbles from each carp as they fed on the oat pack bait.

I reeled in and rebaited then gently lowered my rig down onto the feeding carp. In about 2 minutes I had one. I then rebaited and cast out to my original spot. I missed the next fish because I went to the car for a drink of water. It was right beside me but the delay in getting to the rod cost me a fish. . Rebaited and lowered it down again. After a bit of a wait the rod began to bend and line began peeling off the Abu. I love that sound. I lifted on the fish but it felt weird. The fish began to take line and by the jerky feel of it I knew the my line was hooked on something. Probably a heavy sunken tree branch. This was confirmed when the fish surfaced about 10 ft away and at 90 degrees to the left of where my line entered the water. Oh Oh. I kept pressure on the fish and gained some line. All the time feeling that awful jerky feeling as the line pulled across the wood. I put a lot of pressure on that fish and I could tell it was bigger than than the others I caught so far. I worked it in all the while trying to free my line by re positioning the rod and moving up the bank. I got the fish right up to the snag and the line came loose and I had the fish free and clear. In the net it went and I weighed it at 18 lbs. The heavy action rod with 17 lb test and a 2/0 hook did their job. I was surprised at how little damage was done to the line. I had to run it through my hand twice to be sure and feel the small abrasions. I cut off the damaged line and was back in business shortly. Another great thing about fishing with a simple rig.

It was a beautiful warm day and I called it quits with my tally at six. A good afternoon on the bank.

Oh and it wouldn't be carpin in the Hammer if someone did not come up and ask if you kept them and ate them and someone did. :)

Here are 4 of the six.

post-2981-0-18655100-1381547508_thumb.jppost-2981-0-64570800-1381547513_thumb.jppost-2981-0-33453300-1381547518_thumb.jp

This is the 18. It flipped up onto it's belly and I liked it's shape so I took the picture like that.

post-2981-0-15430800-1381547523_thumb.jp

On the Puff

GUS

Tom. :icon_smoking:

A nice day you had yourself there, Lorne.

I was working and looking out the window onto our parking lot thinking how great it would be to be out fishing somewhere instead of in the office!

A real adventure you had with that 18lber, eh? Then again, if it were always easy, it wouldn't be sport.

Cheers!

Congrats and nice work getting that 18'er in through the snags ! :swimminfish:

John

Sounds like it was a perfect day -- warm & sunny, fish biting, and a challenge (with the 18) that you managed to overcome. Nice!!!!

Well done Lorne!! Puffs rule!!

Edited by Ontariocarper

I have two questions, they may be related. What is a puff, and why such a large hook?

Oh man. Do you have a lot of catching up to do. Sorry just having a little fun. Puffs are puffed corn cereal available here at the Bulk Barn and Loblaws.

post-2981-0-48411400-1382039604_thumb.jp

They go directly on the hook and this is one of the reasons for a large hook.

post-2981-0-57357600-1382038412_thumb.jp

You may also want to check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ksd3phNxjc

Thanks for the info and great pics and video hammercarp. But it leads to more questions.

It has a sliding sinker, so do you have to set the hook?

If so then when, because I imagine there would be a lot of line movement as the pack bait is eaten before the hook is taken.

Yes you are right. The angler sets the hook because there is no bolt effect. This is part of the reason why my rod tip is down .I set the hook when I have a clear indication that the hook is stuck in the carps mouth. Sometimes this happens quite suddenly with no warning. and other times it takes a while and you have to have patience and endure the small indications. If i get a lot of indications and no joy then I will check my hook and rig. I may change things.The pack bait is not always all eaten first. You can add attractants to the puff to encourage the carp to take it. The most commonly used attractant is hot sauce.