Carp Anglers Group Forums

The 2014 ATC----What's Different?

Neil Stern

Been getting some questions on what will be different for this event......

well here are a few of the Major differences----

1- the Corn Boil will me more "SOCIAL" in the past hardly anyone used the Corn we had made,,,,so we will have a boiler available,,,,but will not be wasting money on the actual boiling of the corn..

2) Some of the swims due to the dynamics of the city of Austin will be changed,,,,still hashing that out with the city,,,,trying to get meter permits as meters have been placed on some streets, and new parking regulations have gone into affect,,,we're working it all out ~~

3) there will be a 10% discount at the hotel for foods purchased in the restaraunt,,,,,

4 the peg draw will see a new format,,,,,,this has been suggested to tryu to assure that EVERYONE attending has a good chance at some AUSTIN PIGS,,,,,the draw wil be as follows:

When picking up your event bucket etc at the Thursday Social teams will draw a number which will be their number for drawing order for the Friday morning random draw.

Friday morning teams will draw in the order of the number received at the Thiursday Social- draw will be a random peg draw.

At the end of day one (Friday) the current positions will calculated and teams allocated a draw number for Saturday morning. The order will be in the reverse of the standings after day one (Friday). In the case that there are multiple teams with no fish from day one those teams will randomly pick their draw position before the Saturday draw. Ties for teams with the same weight will be decided by biggest fish, second biggest fish etc until the tie is broken

Saturday morning teams will pick the swim they want (walk off draw) with the team in last place choosing first continuing through the teams until the the leaders from day one (Friday) who will be last team to pick their swim

This should result in a much closer event at the end of Saturday and give those teams with the least weight from day one the chance to get a swim that produced fish on day two.
Questions that you may have con be placed on this thread, and Keith Thompson, or myself will monitor them and respond to them accordingly.... :)
If you haven registered yet,,,,,,what are you waiting for?????
there are already 12 teams on board, I have been advised that all of the CASITAS have been taken,,,,,,reserve rooms, and your place for this great, longest running Carp Angling event in Texas :)
You've got yo IN IT.....to WIN IT !!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it! Helps the chances of drawing two pegs that were at the bottom of your list. :party0012icon:

I'm willing to try something new but can't say I'm crazy about the peg draw change. Way I see it is a team that fishes hard day 1 and is in the lead gets punished for doing well by forced to go last. We'll see how it shakes out post event. Maybe I'm not getting the entire plan as well?

when this was suggested I had reservations,,,,,,but after listening to the LOGIC behind the change, and after thinking about it a while, it seems like it just might reduce the "SKUNKING" of a few teams that travel a pretty good distance to come to the event,,,,,

nothing ventured,,,,,nothing gained :)

we'll see, but it seems like a good way to have everyone catch,,,I ,mean it's not a HARD CORE money event,,,it's a fun time CAG fish in :)

I guess that's the problem it doesn't make sense to me from a logical stand point as a competitor?

I think I'm better off to not fish on Friday and have a chance to win rather than fishing hard trying to finish at least within striking distance and hope for a good peg on Day 2.

It is a friendly competition agreed, but if we just want people to catch let's have a fishin rather than a tourney?

Also we need to discuss "fishing half way to another peg". Means you can cast a bait half way to the next peg not move half way to the next peg. Correct?

Good luck to everyone who fishes the ATC. I enjoyed the experience last year, even if the peg draw is a little hit and miss, but I would be happier to take my chances with the old draw than the new format.

I agree with Dave, if you are leading or in the top 4/5 on day one you are guaranteeing that you will most likely sit in a dead peg on day 2 :(

I personally like the current peg draw they do at the world championships: draw numbers/names for position in peg draw, at peg draw you draw the peg and decide whether you want to keep it or put it back and draw again. (Gives you 2 chances for a good draw)

I'd rather take my chances with the old format and although I understand why you want to change (to give the guys who blank on day 2 a chance) I'd rather take my luck each day than know I was going to be in a crappy peg on day 2 at the end of day 1. It may make the competition closer, but luck at the draw is always a big factor in fishing tournaments.

Again, good luck if you are fishing.

With all do respect for what you are trying to accomplish with these rule changes I must state that I am completely against it. First off I don't believe that a competitor should be punished for doing well to equal out the playing field. True this is a friendly competition but a competition it is. I myself do not fly all the way down there to finish in 5th or 8th, I go there to win. If you look at last years completion at guys who went into spots like the dead zone, worked their tail off and brought out good numbers from a lesser spot. How in good conscience do you tell that guy on day two that he now has to pick second or third from last. Sure it will equal things out for the guys that didn't do as well on day one, but is this fair? I myself like the old system. Sure you need some luck to draw a good peg but one thing about luck is it's fair to all. Everyone has the same chance, and no one is punished for doing well on day one. I'm not trying to offended anyone I'm just speaking my mind.

While winning would be awesome and I fished my arse the past two years I came down for the fun and social aspect of hanging out with a bunch of carpers and having fun. I understand both sides but we all have our different reason for attending.

guys,,,, take a look at my AVATAR :)

I love this event, have put many years and much DINERO into make it a fun thing for everyone, and a memorable experience,,,,2014 will be no different

Oh and by the way the AUSTIN CREW will be delivering lunch to your swim on Friday afternoon :)

Big thanks go out to them for making the food runs :)

I've flown to France twice and Romania once and blanked, so Austin isn't far! Lol

I've even fished the ATC and blanked?

Never complained as I realize it's fishing in a competition. If I want to just catch fish I'd just plan a trip on my own terms would make the most sense?

But to have someone be on the lead after day one and then have a chance to be forced into a bad peg rather than having the same chance as anyone else makes no sense to me?

So here is my game plan now-

Get up and draw a peg Friday. If it's not a peg I'm confident in probably go back to bed as I m still in the game and actually increase my chances of winning if I do poorly. If I do go fishing I sack my fish and make the call at the end of the day to count them or not. Finishing middle or close to the top is worse than blanking going into day 2. If I do draw a top peg Friday and compete knowing I might as well sleep in on Saturday when I leave why not put in a few buckets of particles about 100yds away or as someone suggested in a PM some soap as I know my chances of being there day 2 is zero. ;)

See how well intentioned rules have consequences? I haven't broken any rules I'm aware of? But it's also greatly changed my same strategy I've used the previous 11 times I fished the ATC. Keep myself with striking distance for day 2. The year we won it was catch all you can day one and try to catch a few day 2. Which may work with this format. But rather than luck of the draw that becomes a much more predictable outcome.

Year 1 we kept the same pegs both days. After that we made the change to re-draw after day 1 to give anglers a chance to catch day 2. That rule made sense.

The draw two pegs and pick was also a good move in tourneys Ive organized. Wish I'd done that from day 1. It seemed to be a good compromise.

like I said previously..photo-710.gif?_r=1381839500:) the change might be good, might not be but nothing ventured nothing gained,,,, :)

And you will NOT go back to bed !!! no matter what, cause I'll have your room # and keep pounding on the door ! :)

Here are my thoughts and some of the logic behind this.

I live here and can comprehensively state every single swim being used for the ATC is capable of producing fish IF the team work it. There are no bad swims here just swims that take effort to catch fish from. If you make the effort you should be rewarded. We ended up mid field last year and would happily have worked our swim for a few more on the second day.

Something needed to be done to help those people who had the bad luck to draw hard swims two days in a row. Why? Because those are the people who won't come back because they wanted a chance to compete - this gives them at least some chance. How do I know this? Because I listened to the people complaining after every ATC I have been to (this will be my ninth of thirteen I think).

It takes angling skill to catch fish consistently regardless of you swim, any noddy can turn up and pull 200lb from some swims here. If this is a test of skill then prove you can catch them from the harder spots. I can think of several years when the winners had a great swim day one and scratched in day two, the reverse has not been generally true. So all this talk of staying in bed on day one is just BS - get out there, fish wherever you are lucky/unlucky enough to draw, as hard as you can and see if you can beat those guys who got the swim you wanted on day one.

Luck should not have an influence over the outcome of an event. This draw at least takes the luck out of one of the days. Want to take it out completely make it a walk off draw both days or one walk off draw and keep the same peg, or one blind draw and keep the same peg both days. The ATC is the only two day event that has a draw for swims each day. You know why? Because people bitched after the first year that those in the going swims had the best if it two days in a row. The reality was that Richard and Tommy won that year because they fished hard both days. People don't fish hard both days when they get a hard swim both days due to luck.

Last thing to say which I missed. I would not want this type of draw if there was money involved, however the ATC is a social tournament

after reading all of these i strongly agree with switching back to the old way. its true that if you are in a good peg the first day, and in 1st or 2nd place, and then you get a peg in the second day that produces nothing, it isnt fair. Sure it equals out the chances of catching big fish, but it is a competition.

Honestly this new draw system makes no sense to me. How can you punish a team for doing well in a competition? IMHO all this draw serves to accomplish is to actually create an incentive to do poorly on the first day. What is the point in working hard day one and pulling 4 fish from a decent swim to finish in the top five, only to end up in a poor swim Day two? You would have been better off to blank day one, and take your chances trying to win it day 2 from a top peg. I'm sure Dave and myself are not the only ones thinking about changing their game plan to suit this new draw.

well....it's all how you look at it,,,:) We really want everyone to CATCH , enjoy the event, and go home with memories --- there is NO sinister motive here but we'll talk again as a group and make a determination....

pros & cons with each system :(

Tom, I meant to call me after 10 this morning, I go to bed at 9 ( have to get my beauty sleep) but I'll give you a call today........

to everyone----HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS-- stay safe on the roads ---and may you New Year be loaded with record breakers

Is there something about a bad peg as long as your fishing. I have done it many times in England. Winning from a bad peg is very rewarding. (I have done it) Have the correct approach and what the fish want is the secret to winning. Or perhaps hope the fish swim to the bad pegs.???

Last year showed that some traditionally bad pegs can be rewarding, while a good peg can be poorly fished.

Neil, I appreciate your attempt to level the field and get everyone on fish. As you said, this is not a big money event so, in my mind, no big whoop, but there will always be naysayers and complaints if you change or not.

Hi Guys !! Would anybody consider Doing a change to the ATC ? What i am talking about making it a Big 4 or Big 5 event . Like that the chances of all the anglers of winning ATC is way much bigger ?????

Just a thought .... Any opinions about this ?