Carp Anglers Group Forums

The 2014 ATC----What's Different?

Neil Stern

Unfortunately at the ATC the most important is the peg draw. All the participants are good anglers and there are just a few pegs that really produce fish ... If you are unlucky first day pretty much you are out .... In a Big 4 or Big 5 tournament your chances are high all the way to the last minute .Quick example : me and bogdan about 3 years ago we blanked first day but we got 5 fish the second day with 4 -30s .we got the biggest the 39+ but it was impossible to get to the top with the guys leading with about 400 lb .... Just take this in consideration !!! I really think that it gives everybody a bigger chance and the peg is not as important ... Happy Holidays to everyone !!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys !! Would anybody consider Doing a change to the ATC ? What i am talking about making it a Big 4 or Big 5 event . Like that the chances of all the anglers of winning ATC is way much bigger ?????

Just a thought .... Any opinions about this ?

Best suggestion I've heard yet.

Hi Guys !! Would anybody consider Doing a change to the ATC ? What i am talking about making it a Big 4 or Big 5 event . Like that the chances of all the anglers of winning ATC is way much bigger ?????

Just a thought .... Any opinions about this ?

i really like that idea too

all being taken into consideration but we'll see,,,,,, meanwhile back at the ranch ARE YOU REGISTERED YET ???

Hotel rates will close soon,,,,,,

It's a OK idea for the fact as stated in various post not all pegs produce so in reality how does that make a difference having big 4 or 5 etc.Last year fish were being pulled out of everywhere accept 1 peg that I know of.

I like it the way it has always been. Even tbough my peg draw skills suck but I have still managed to produce fish giving it all I can.

I just need to know which way is this really going to go this way or the old way.

There should be a vote with the people that already paid for the ATC there opinions Count the most. I would think since it sounds like they were surprised at it.

A Big 4 with different pegs drawn like it has been in the past makes more sense than the new idea to me. Big 4 is much easier on the organizers and pegs are a more level playing field. It does also keep Teams he game until the end.

I thought we'd had a Big 4 winner previously? Just not the overall winner.

I'm up for whatever, but the 3 options have such different approaches it would be nice to know which way we're going? That said even if we take a vote at the social is OK.

Just looking forward to seeing everyone and having a good laugh. ;)

will talk to the Committee after the first of the year, and will let everyone know,,,,my ONLY objective is to have everyone have fun and walk away having sore Biceps from hauling,,,,,,,,,whatever we decide will be the way it goes,,,,,

:)

Past experience... Two days blanking at the ATC can be rather long and a tad dispiriting hours... My best time at the ATC was always the THIRD day (everybody is driving home, and I can choose my swim based on the tournament results). So I don't know, but people who truly want a good experience should plan to stay a tad longer...

Neil's proposal clearly comes from a good intention. I am a tad skeptical about it (anything giving the perception of unfairness is always heavily criticized!), but let me point out that numerous teams tend to blank the first day, and very few swims produce very well two days in a row. So it's not like staying in bed will automatically give you a winner the day after, far from it. I don't know, maybe this new formula is worth trying. Still... Not too sure about it! Maybe keep it for the third day... :rolleyes:

As to the top-4 idea, this one is undoubtedly good. In most swims, one has a solid chance of catching a few big ones. While very few swims produce a lot of fish (and you have to be very lucky to get there). Replacing total-weight by top-4 would seem to level the field, and better reward skill.

I for one am a big fan of the Big 4-5 tournaments. It is the only format that's fair in my opinion especially with a lake like the one in Austin.

I realize that the idea of the ATC is about socializing and fun but still, everyone want's to have a chance to win it.

I only fished the ATC one time and honestly it was kind of a disappointing experience for me since I managed to draw the tip of the peninsula and the actual peninsula the second day. It was nice for me and my partner to get 50+ grassers and only one 30+ carp but I was still disappointed. After day 1 I knew I had close to 0 chances to win anything but big fish.

As for what Jerome suggested, well in my case and the rest of the K1 crew, we won't be able to stay and fish after the tournament since we have to drive to Lake Fork and prepare for that tourney

I think it would be a great Idea to make the tournament big 4 or big 5. Create 2 sections , anglers that fish section 1 first day need to draw a peg in section 2 the next day. And draw for pegs every morning the same way, it doesn't matter who did well in the first day.

That should summarize how I personally feel about this issue

Istvan

I for one am a big fan of the Big 4-5 tournaments. It is the only format that's fair in my opinion especially with a lake like the one in Austin.

I realize that the idea of the ATC is about socializing and fun but still, everyone want's to have a chance to win it.

I only fished the ATC one time and honestly it was kind of a disappointing experience for me since I managed to draw the tip of the peninsula and the actual peninsula the second day. It was nice for me and my partner to get 50+ grassers and only one 30+ carp but I was still disappointed. After day 1 I knew I had close to 0 chances to win anything but big fish.

As for what Jerome suggested, well in my case and the rest of the K1 crew, we won't be able to stay and fish after the tournament since we have to drive to Lake Fork and prepare for that tourney

I think it would be a great Idea to make the tournament big 4 or big 5. Create 2 sections , anglers that fish section 1 first day need to draw a peg in section 2 the next day. And draw for pegs every morning the same way, it doesn't matter who did well in the first day.

That should summarize how I personally feel about this issue

Istvan

That is what the new draw system will cancel out, getting two bad swims in a row. And there is not one other world level tournament that uses big 4 or 5 as a method for deciding the winner - that is a USA format that helps people who want to level the playing field.

Hi guys. Just registered! I was going thru all the post and... I think the idea of two section and format Big 4 or Big 5 will be the best!

you can end up both days on bad section, but manage to catch one or two fish each day and still had good chance to even win the tournament! You just need to catch 4 or 5 fish. Even if you didn't catch anything first day you still got good chance to have a limit second day and Vice versa! Just My opinion! Cant wait to fish again There! See you soon!

I will be the first to admit I skim read the thread, but wouldn't making the peg draw a snake draft solve a lot of the issues? 1 of he 2 days you are going to pick a good peg. The other well you have to do your research.

I have no vested interest in this,but it just seems the most logical.

I will be the first to admit I skim read the thread, but wouldn't making the peg draw a snake draft solve a lot of the issues? 1 of he 2 days you are going to pick a good peg. The other well you have to do your research.

I have no vested interest in this,but it just seems the most logical.

I strongly agree with Keith. Being an Austinite, I can attest with him that every swim is capable of producing fish. BIG FISH! ... It all comes down to how hard you work for them. I've blanked at a spot that "always" produces fish, and I've hauled at a spot that "usually blanks" ... The only difference was how much work I put in ... That's it... Good luck to all of you. I'm looking forward to the 2014 ATC!

I don't think so. But you can try.........

Seeing the ATC numbers and swims where fish got pulled out of it shows that year after year same pegs produce fish.

Yes other pegs produce some to barely a couple to none.

If all pegs produce, than have a random draw like always. Why punish Somone for doing well? Not all anglers fish the same, you could have an angler go to an amazing peg and only pull out a few fish, while another angler goes to a "tough" peg puts effort in and does better than the person in the good peg. Then that person in the "tough" peg that did well will be basically punished and stuck in a tougher peg once again and the angler that didn't do well in the good peg gets a good peg once again... To me there is no logic in that?

I would rather stick to the old format, travelling a long way so I'll add a few days after the event to catch if necessary.

There are swims that don't get pegged for folks to choose on day 2 if they are unhappy with their lot.

Go with big 4 / 5 if you want to give everyone a chance to win but don't handicap those who caught on day 1.

The weather will still have a big say in where the fish will be....

Warning! Nerd alert!

Why not just do the experiment this year and see how it works out?

While I can see where some of the dissenters are coming from I wonder if they are making some assumptions that may not be justified? At the two ATC contests I fished there were examples of "dead" pegs from day one being hotter-than-hades on day two and vice-versa. This might simply reflect fish movements from day to day.....or differing competences of the teams fishing each day.......or more or less attractive baits.......or more rigorous feature-finding.....etc, etc.

If you consider it from a "glass-half-full" perspective, I suspect that more bragging rights would go to a winning team that managed to pull enough fish from a "flyer" on Day ......plus sufficient from a Day 2 swim that had failed to produce on Day 1 when compared to any team that won the random-draws lottery and drew two "flyers"?

Iain

i dont think we should do the experiment. im going to be flying down all the way from Michigan so i really want to make the most of my trip. i dont think its fair to have an angler be punished for doing well on day 1. i think they should have a fair chance just as everyone else would have to get another peg that produces fish instead of an almost guarantee of getting one of the tougher pegs

I produced fish over 30lbs from the 4 different pegs over the past two years. 1st street, monster swim, dead zone and 35bridge. Do I think good fish can come from any peg? Yes. Can a peg suck day one/ produce day 2 or vice versa? Yes. After all it's fishing. I think going to big 4/5 instead of changing the draw format would be a greater "equalizer". Just my thoughts, no disrespect to the organizers amazing effort and talent in setting up the event!