Carp Anglers Group Forums

UK baits from USA Carp Tackle shops ?

With the restrictions from the UK carp shops for USA carpers trying to buy carp baits and now the recent announcement from Carp Kit in Canada not selling UK baits to USA carpers....my question is , are the USA carp shops going to be stocking more baits to meet the demand that WILL be building or are they also going to stop stocking/selling UK baits too ? I know MANY in my home State that are starting to panic as they need to stock up on baits for the upcoming season too.....my e-mail box has been filling up with fellow carpers asking these same question that I also need answers too.

Not everyone uses the few USA bait companys and a lot of us depend on the UK baits to catch fish....and we want to continue using them.

We are working with companies to import bait from the UK. Once they see the paperwork required for them to obtain a export permit and for us to obtain a imports permit they tend to decide it's not worth it. Neither are easy to get or free.;) So before you've even really sold anything its a hefty investment.

It's not really a decision made by us most times.

If anglers import bait they technically should have an importer permit.

It's the US Government that has made up the ridiculous rules using their 1 size fits all approach to import fishing bait and issuing the permits as well.

So just to say "Why don't shops import more bait", I wish it were that easy for us to make the decision alone, when actually we are number #3 in the decision making process. Once this decision is agreed to and we move forward it can take up to 1 year to be up and running 100%.

If you have a bait your interested in and the demand is there have them get in touch with us we'll be glad to work with them if it makes business sense.

Merry Christmas everyone!

BC Tackle has a good supply from several different vendors and more to come in the new year.

If you want to order a decent amount you can always contact Dave as just because it's not in stock does not mean he cannot order it for you. As Dave said, it's not as easy as just calling the companies and ordering the bait, hence some companies are not interested in the investment. Personally, if you are looking for a decent UK bait then I would highly recommend CC Moore and Dynamite as I have used both over the last 2 years with great success.

Yes BCT is one of the shops that I use to get my UK baits and I have purchased from Dave since the start in the old ACS days......but not everyone again uses CC Moore as the market seems to be flooded with another popular bait at this very moment.....Dynamite will always be one of my favorites , Mainline is OK , but as with CC Moore , not one of my best producers...sadly and at the same time thankfully the baits that work the best are not popular with the main stream of carpers...Solar , StickyBaits , Nutrabaits , Richworth , ect.

I know the red tape and permit cost is high......but to whom ever decides to look to the future , the shop with the most selections of UK baits will get the most business , which in turn will yield profit for them.

I have been looking into this topic and maybe in the future it will just be easier to obtain an import bait license for ones self and sell to the anglers in your home State ?

Dynamite will still be readily available, and we already have several large pre orders ready to go in January. I know Dave will still be importing other ranges, but sometimes as dave says its the bait company that loses interest due to the red tape. I can never see the UK bait brands not supplying the US market, even though its a smaller population of anglers the market it still big enough because of the quality of bait is far superior to the USA made baits IMHO. Plus the US anglers dont just promote for the US market, but the whole European market also through their websites/facebook etc. The US carp population and fishing environments are so ideal for testing new baits and tackle, so much that in 2014 you may even see US based anglers testing new baits and tackle products for UK brands. The number of fish present, snaggy swims and very warm & very cold climate make this a perfect place to conduct testing.

The UK tackle shops were never allowed to ship bait into the US (not legally anyway). Its not that there are bait restrictions as such, with the required paperwork and the support of the bait brands its a legit process, it just takes time, money and effort for the parties involved. If anyone does want to pre order any dynamite stuff , regardless of whether dave has it in stock or not let me know via a pm on here, they have a new red ammo bait out for 2014 that is meant to be amazing.

Tribal, we are working on the paperwork for other bait companies but some of the popular brands you mentioned are just not interested until the US market gets larger as they are used to dealing in bulk quantities.

The other issue is shipping costs due to weight so the only effective way for US Importers to bring the bait in is in large quantities. It pays to speak to Dave directly if you are looking to order a decent amount or to one of the sponsored anglers (Craig for Dynamite and Brian for CC Moore).

I have been looking into this topic and maybe in the future it will just be easier to obtain an import bait license for ones self and sell to the anglers in your home State ?

good luck with that, it would never happen, and if it did you would be paying about $50 a kilo once all is said and done.

don't underestimate how lucky we are to get what we currently do. Compared to the Uk and euro market the US is at the back of the line when it comes to priority because of the small community. Now if we had 10% of the usa bass anglers move over to carping you would see a big change in bait importation priorities.

i only work with one company but believe me that the time and investment from them and dave is unbelievable to get access to the bait, and then the bait is sold at the same price it is in the uk (but those tackle store owners have no importation and shipping costs to pay like usa vendors).

I can tell you that one huge bait company has just turned down the offer to target the us market this very week.so maybe its better we get a couple of very good ones and invest in them so they don't desert us in future.

and regarding bait coming in from the Uk/canada/or anywhere else, im not aware of any restrictions that changed recently, read into that what you will, but needless to say there is no need to panic. play will resume as normal in 2014.

i just ordered some boilies from p&s tackle,based in pittsburg,pa the product was matze koch in germany.but i too was looking through the c.a.g vendors and there really is'nt alot of bait,also having bought a used fox reel,which has a minor part broken,living in the U.S. i am unable to purchase the repair part even though i can access the site and reveiw the part number ect.?us carpers in the U.S.A. need some consideration..

Try contacting Paul at wacker. He has good luck when it comes to finding parts.