Carp Anglers Group Forums

Hi, I just relocated to Cedar Rapids IA from New York where I was a long standing CAG member. Could anyone offer any insights into fishing either IA or IL? are there any CAG members out there in Cedar Rapids?

Hoping to hear back from some fellow carp anglers here.

Thanks,

Old English!

I was born in Iowa and the majority of my family still resides there, the state is pretty much a blank

slate when it comes to modern carping. I haven't found any info in the cag archives worth noting and very little elsewhere on the interweb. Here is what little info I have been able to scrape up, the oelwein park lake had very large fish in the late 70's early 80's, I've seen faded Polaroids of trot lined fish well over 20 lb.s, the wapsi around devils backbone has good numbers of hard fighting commons but I've only caught small ones, the Mississippi around Dubuque is a match anglers dream with predominately small buffalo with the occasional fish in the mid teens and a lot of smaller commons, fish with corn anywhere near an elevator where barges are filled with grain on the Mississippi and you will have trouble keeping lines in the water. Iowa dnr is very anti-carp and spends a lot of resources on their destruction, I have even seen designated carp disposal bins at some boat ramps and public areas.

Lived in IL for most my life. I never ventured to Iowa to fish. Not sure how far you want to drive but there's a place (Johnson Sauk Trail State Park) that myself and a couple others have fished but it's an "untapped" lake for carp. Largest so far that I know of is 25.8lbs back in August. A lot of fish caught over 15lbs. It's about 2 hours from you and as long as you have a campsite paid for which is really cheap they don't care if you stay fishing all night. I spent two nights in the same spot that was across the lake from the campground and one of the workers there sat and talked with me for almost 2 hours. They're friendly over there.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152166021468849&l=127025ff46