Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ol Captain

My slant on the new NACA

I have just returned from the mailbox and lightly thumbed through the Special Edition NACA. I can assure you that this periodical alone is well worth the cost of membership to me! I pledge to take it on every outing this year (and good Lord willing, I’ll have many). I promise to show it to everyone who comes to see us (and there will be more than a few).

When Max saw the photo on the top of page 41 he simply smiled his normal smile of Carptimonious humility:) Can’t wait to read the articles but I can say that Rick Walker’s photography gives this outstanding and wonderful edition a stunning finish!!

A tip of the Ol Captain’s hat goes out to all involved. I’m afraid that by December the “shiny” will be worn off of this issue! Well done!!

My copy arrived this afternoon, nice addition to the coffee table during these frozen months. Thanks.

Stuck in Detroit after a week working in Atlanta; can't wait to get home and find it waiting for me! Looking forward to this issue!

It is all what Don said I agree fully Nice job on the NACA I believe Mario had a lot to do with it Fine edition !!!!!!

Greatness in the palm of are hands is all I could think about I love it

Received mine today and the quality of the magazine is excellent! A++++ Super duper well done to Mario and crew! All the articles are excellent but my favorite is the "History of Carp in North America" article...I just love stuff like that.

Simply wonderful, NACA Crew! As CAG members, wouldn't it be great to have multiple copies of this to give to those who watch us with wide eyes. Lots of great history, biology, etc... I wouldn't mind paying a wholesale fee for more copies to have these available in my truck.

Mine finally arrived yesterday (80919) - a great showcase for our beloved sport fishing passion !

We printed some extra copies. Let me discuss with the BOD in more detail how we will use them. ;)

Just a thought...

I'm sure the printing cost for this level of quality is quite high. It's beautiful, but how about a down scaled version with similar content (history and myth busters, beginner how tos, pictures, where to buy, how to JOIN CAG...) to distribute.

This could be a great way to increase our new memberships. Each member could put a sticker on them, so credit could be given to the member that triggered a new join.

I'm working on a CAG brochure as we speak... B)

Every year on the bank I run into a good number of people who would seem to be receptive to something like that, based on the questions they ask me.

I like that idea a lot.

Yep, that'd be great!

Still waiting for mine. I guess they have to come by pack mule out here. :bigsmile:

Just a thought...

I'm sure the printing cost for this level of quality is quite high. It's beautiful, but how about a down scaled version with similar content (history and myth busters, beginner how tos, pictures, where to buy, how to JOIN CAG...) to distribute.

This could be a great way to increase our new memberships. Each member could put a sticker on them, so credit could be given to the member that triggered a new join.

A little break down on the financial cost of the NACA:

From 2007-2011, each 48 page full color NACA ran the club $6000-$6300. Some of the cost was offset with advertising. So annually, the NACA coming out 4 times a year was running $24,000-$25,000 minus whatever was brought in with advertising. Changes were made and we managed to bring those costs down by running a Black and White edition and a half color/half B&W. The B&W expense was close to $3,000 and the half/half was $3500.

This special edition was paid in full with Donations by 3 our members. We went with a new print house and mailer and our total cost was just over $4,500 including publishing expenses.

Mailing costs have nearly doubled since 2007. This edition's mailing costs were $900 alone, printing was $3250 (1250 copies, each hundred copies would run about another $100), and publishing was $350.

As Mario mentioned, new full color CAG brochures are being worked on and will be printed in bulk, they will then be ready for distribution to the membership. Within the brochures will be club benefits, incentives, how and where to join, and a couple helpful tips. These will likely run the club around .10-.20 cents a piece and then whatever the mailing costs will be for distributing to those that wish to hand them out.

We're very happy to hear the membership enjoyed this special edition printed NACA. Thanks again to those that helped make it happen! :)

I've distributed copies to our local fisheries personnel as well as a couple of carp oriented tackle stores in CT & Brooklynn, NY. Very positive feedback already :)

Received my NACA magazine the other day, well done to every one concerned that had an input to this well put together edition..................... :jumpy:

Just got mine today! Went through it quick and starting to read it now. Thank you to everyone who made this happen.