Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

RESULTS-- 34° water puts the big chill on the Feb. 8 bite at Joliet

Thirty-four degree water (34°F) puts the big chill on Feb. 8 tournament bite at Joliet

In retrospect, the February 8 “Dead of Winter” Carp Tournament at Joliet, Illinois should not have been held. Despite a forecast for a dusting of snow and a high in the 20’s, Joliet got four inches of steady snow on February 8 and our car thermometers registered outside temperatures that never exceeded 9°. Couple all that with a southeast breeze, and we were never out of sub-zero windchills all day long.

Cory Bohmann and Jim Rink at February 8 Tournament at Jackson St. Swim in Joliet, IL
joliet_winter_2014_cory_jim_020814.jpg

The comfort level for the five die-hard anglers left much to be desired, but we’ve caught fish at Joliet in similar and even worse conditions. Most of us had not fished since 2013 or since thew FFF on New Years Day. The "Dead of Winter " event had already been postponed twice due to snow and ice, so we jumped at the chance to shake off some cabin fever and get back on the bank.

Stupid or diehard? Five anglers participated in sub-zero windchills and snow on Feb. 8
joliet_winter2014_jackson_020814.jpg

Cory Bohmann, Larry Seeman, Jim Rink, Tracy Jourdan, and Frank Rink all made it on time for the 6:30 a.m. peg draw even though the snow had already started. This was going to be a “musical pegs” tournament with a move to the next left peg every three hours. This allowed all but one angler to have at least one end peg through the day. Tracy Jourdan drew chip #1, so he chose peg 5, meaning he would also have 1 and 2 through the course of the day. Cory Bohmann took 1, 2, 3 followed by Larry Seeman (4, 1, 5), Frank Rink (3, 4, 5), and Jim Rink (2, 3, 4).

Tough conditions for anglers and carp at Joliet's "Dead of Winter" Tournament
joliet_winter2014_snow_020814.jpg

The difference between this event and other cold weather contests at Joliet involved the conditions for the carp. Rarely, even at past FFF’s, have we ever had river water of temperatures less than 40°. In spite of Bill “Phone” Warder’s contention that fish don’t bite in water less than 50°, we typically did relatively well with cooler waters.

Tracy Jourdan catches and Larry Seeman nets the first fish of the day
joliet_winter2014_tracycatch_corynet_020

The water on February 8 was somewhat worse than “cool.” In northern Illinois, our January and February have been among the coldest/snowiest in history. Throughout the past 40 days, we have experienced a cycle of a snow storm every 72 hours, preceded and succeeded by sub-zero temperatures and windchils in the -20° to -50° range. This cycle has negatively affected the water.

When Tracy Jourdan took the water temperature, it was a frigid 34°! The DesPlaines River/Canal in Joliet is controlled by locks to its north and south as this is a main thoroughfare for barge traffic moving from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi. The water is always moving, so it rarely freezes; but I would guess that the carp, considering the extremely cold days preceding February 8, had rarely experienced 34° temperatures. Needless to say, they were not in an eating mood.

Two fish, however, were surprisingly caught during the day. Perhaps their mouths were open and hookbaits were cast into them, because I doubt that any fish were actively feeding. Nevertheless, Tracy Jourdan captured a 4 lb., 2 ounce carp at 7:30 a.m. from peg 5 to take second place in the tournament . Frank Rink, who was fishing in that same peg after our 2nd peg shift, picked up a lucky 7-6 at 1:30 p.m. to win the event.

​Proper carp care is practiced, even in the cold and snow

joliet_winter2014_tracy_unhook_020814.jp

CAG Illinois Chair Tracy Jourdan takes second place with this 4-6
joliet_winter2014_tracy_0402_020814.jpg

Frank Rink takes first place with this lucky 7 pound, 6 ounce capture
joliet_winter2014_frank_0706_020814.jpg

Needless to say, “Dead of Winter” was an appropriate name for this event. We certainly experienced winter weather and the bite was DEAD. Thanks to the five hardy anglers who braved the elements to participate. With snow rolling in, Jim Rink had to leave early to try to avoid a tough 200 mile ride home to Indiana. He made it home fine, but along the way, he encountered many accidents and cars in ditches, including a nine-car pile-up at the Illinois-Indiana border.

Despite the poor bite and poorer weather, it was nice to be on the bank with a corps of fishing buddies and some decent food
joliet_winter2014_larry_van_020814.jpg
joliet_winter2014_steaks_020814.jpg

Jim Rink and Larry Seeman wondering if all this was worth their effort
joliet_winter2014_larry_jim_020814.jpg

Thanks, also, to Larry Seeman who had prepared the venue prior to our arrival with salt and snow-plowing. Larry also provided the grills and some goodies for a nice hotdog and steak lunch for all of us.

With a forecast for 50° in two weeks, we will try it again on February 22 and conduct the JCT – “Joliet’s Too Cold” Carp Tournament. A sign-up thread will be started soon.—Frank Rink

joliet_winter2014_jtc_banner_022214.jpg

Looks like a good time I would have showed up just for the steak and twinkie dinner lol..... Looks a tad chilly too

No, we didn't have chili, lol.

Wow, don't know what I was thinking, I thought I netted Tracy's fish,lol.

My error. Sorry. I changed the caption. :bonk:

Wow, don't know what I was thinking, I thought I netted Tracy's fish,lol.

HaHa

I know you guys are famously hardcore........or cold-blooded........but has it occurred to anyone that maybe Frank's brain just iced over? :o

Iain

HaHa

I know you guys are famously hardcore........or cold-blooded........but has it occurred to anyone that maybe Frank's brain just iced over? :o

Iain

LOL. Those boys wear all that camouflage and it's hard to tell them apart. Then again, it was awfully cold yesterday. Good call, Iain. :lol:

I'm like Idaho carping- I would have attended just for the chow- especially the Twinkies. Thanks for sharing the event and photos. Two fish? It's surprising how much one is than zero.

I'm like Idaho carping- I would have attended just for the chow- especially the Twinkies. Thanks for sharing the event and photos. Two fish? It's surprising how much one is than zero.

Two lucky catches, John. That swim usually has carp surfacing at some point through the day. We saw nothing that indicated fish were eating, swimming, or doing anything. Tough day!

That is some hardcore fishing Give all credit who attended. Looks like you all had a cold but good time Nice write up !!!!!