Carp Anglers Group Forums
Neil Stern

HOLY CRAPOLA

Well, in my humble opinion, the Thursday Social went great,,,,,,HOOTERS gals a little late but so what???they were GREAT posed for pictures, and had a good time,,,,,

I have come to theconclusion that CARP ANGLERS eat as much if not more than Carp themselves !! :glare:

`13 Pizzas,and 300 wings AND 100 thighs gone, I mean no trace in less than one hour of eating time !!!! AMAZING :)

another AMAZING thingis that as I write this the BATESBROTHERS have a commanding lead,,,,there are 13 teams on the board BIGGEST FISH SO FAR IS 37 POUNDS,next in line is 36 pounds,,,,and the BATES BROTHERS ARE AT A TOTAL WEIGHT OF104 POUNDS as of 5 P.M.

Looks like hese guys are heading for a 3rd ATC win,,,,history is being made the Trophy is coming back to TEXAS (via SouthAfrica ) :) see the link that follows,,,,

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/page/atc_2014_.html

another AMAZING thingis that as I write this the BATESBROTHERS have a commanding lead,,,,there are 13 teams on the board BIGGEST FISH SO FAR IS 37 POUNDS,next in line is 36 pounds,,,,and the BATES BROTHERS ARE AT A TOTAL WEIGHT OF104 POUNDS as of 5 P.M.

Looks like hese guys are heading for a 3rd ATC win,,,,history is being made the Trophy is coming back to TEXAS (via SouthAfrica ) :) see the link that follows,,,,

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/page/atc_2014_.html

Not so fast, Dr. Stern! The non-Texas teams are one Gazebo peg draw away from getting back in contention! In fact, I see one Hoosier (Kenny K.) and one transplanted Californian (Brid C.) just a little over 10 pounds out of first place.

Glad to see over half the teams on the leaderboard as day 1 winds down. I'll bet some of those boys without many fish today are wishing they would have accepted your original peg choice proposal :lol: . Good luck to all. --Frank

Everything has been great as always thanks Neil for another great event. This is only day one can't wait for day 2

I have no idea what a theiug is :)

IT IS COMING BACK TIO TEXAS ;)

Hey Frank - you spotted it!! Not an easy day, by any stretch of the imagination, but Hooseirish just kept chipping away. I've rarely ever 'changed up' my gear/baits/tactics as much as I did today -- and it finally paid off with our biggest fish of the day. Kenneth caught all his fish on the same rod (with another sat feet from it - with the exact same baits) so, go figure that one!! I did actually figure it out (very late in the day) - when the wind we had in our faces all day died down. Pretty much a typical 1st ATC day (only we didn't blank!!) and tomorrow will be interesting. Kenneth did you 'Hoosies' proud, and never skipped a beat, and I'm sure my Irish kin are smiling down on us. The Bates Bros are around 50lbs ahead tonight, and as we all know -- 2nd day often throws up some surprises. For me, it's a bit like 'deja vu' as I've been in this situation before (with Scott Townson & Tracy Smith leading overnight) when Mr Kirkman & I rallied at the Gazebo the second day, and caught well -- only to lose by a few lbs, as the leaders only banked 2 fish the second day. I've only ever lead overnight once - by a very handy margin, then we blanked on the second day. It's still anyones to win, but I'm sure glad we beat the "odds makers" team today (pegged next to us and blanked) -- all in fun!! Going to rest my weary bones, and give it our best shot tomorrow. Tight Lines to all competing -- bring it on!!

Best of luck to all teams on Day 2. Here's hoping that you all catch monsters all day long.

BUT

The Trophy is going to stay in TEXAS :) no matter what Brid says,,,,,,,Our STATE, our Lake, Our Trophy Carp Sanctuary, our event, and by Criminey....OUR TROPHY :) well having said that,,,we could, if we wanted to, loan it to a team from another state for a year,...:) but that will be OUR choice :jumpy:

the Day will be incredible 48 degrees at 4:45 AM wind out of th s-sw at 6 knot, and an expected high of 76 degrees, ( one of the Michigan kids is already "french Fried) no chance of rain and some cloud cover,,,,the lil fishies are going to get netted all over the Lake today....

follow along and join in on the excitement :)

http://www.carpangle.../atc_2014_.html

HUGE congrats to Tom Daugherty on his big common. He can quit right now and stil have had the day of a lifetime! Woot! LBL rules, good job Tom!

Edited by greentumater

but....his kid trumped him with a 54 .10 Buffalo the freaking fish was a
HORSE...

not much time left,,,,,,,great event,,,,,, a 40 pound Common, 2 very high 30's some mid and low thirties, and a chitload of twenties,,,,,,,,,

Huge thanks to the Austin Carp Anglers, for all they did for the event, and to our own Willem,,,,the leaderboard was incredible and for a maiden voyage we certainly gave it a work out :)

Edited by Neil Stern

Congratulations to Tom & Brian........WTG

Outstanding repeat for the Daugherty father-son Michigan Team! Congrats. It also looks as if lots of quality fish were captured, and even the northern teams caught a few (9 anglers from the top 8 teams that exceeded 100 pounds were from Michigan (4), Indiana (3), and Illinois (2)) . Well done, ATC anglers! Well done, Dr. Stern and crew!

Yep, incredrediable repeat! Big congrats to the Daugherty Dynamic Duo father and son team,and it appears as though the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue should be replaced with a statue of Steven Bates after today.

I see a 43lb 12oz common on there also? So that tied the Texas record right?

Well, the trophy DID NOT COME BACK TO TEXAS,,,,,we fought hard, but succumbed,,,,,

so tonight for dinner I will have a nice plate of crow,,,,, :(

post-710-0-59055400-1393203354.jpg

Congratulations Brian and Tom, I enjoyed watching you land that crazy Buff, and Tom you did a great job with the Common I saw on the mat as well,,,,

next year, you will have to come back to defend your crown once again ,,,,,,,was an honor to have you guys and the rest of MICHIGAN teams at the event

Edited by Neil Stern

Is the format (total weight) going to be the same? In terms of Big Four and Big Six, a TX team took top honors...

However, looking at the lead shifts between the first and second day, it does appear that, while the lake is still very "Peggy", there are more fish being caught from more pegs...

Total Weight, the big 4 and big 6 formats are for other events,,,,,, pegs that SUCKED on Friday were hotter that firecrackers on Saturday one for certain about Lady Bird Lake, and that's nothings for certain :)

If a peg like the Gazebo or Redbud is smokin' on Friday, that's almost reason enough NOT to pick it on Saturday. Sometimes I think the fish in that lake are all just lost and are constantly wandering around lookin' for home. They don't seem to stay anywhere for long.

Got to remember that Ladybird used to be a river, fish can be in one swim today and a mile away the next. Obviously the fish that were in Brian and Tom's swim on day two were not there at all on day one (Kevin and I did not see anything and neither of us had a bite the whole day). From what they both told us they were catching in the same spots as we had our baits on day one. With the alternative draw option I would pick the swim I was in on day one as these fish do respond to some level of pre-baiting.

Maybe we should go back to drawing the same swim two days in a row, might persuade people to actually get some bait into the swim and attract the fish.

Keith,

Agreed they respond well to bait. What about when pegging putting a folgers can(1 gal) of plain particles in front of each peg on Thursday?