Carp Anglers Group Forums
marcus

Lakeside Cottages

I've booked in with a mate at Mike & Eileens in late May this year, I know a few of the ON guys have fished Lake Katchewanooka so am just after some thoughts from anyone who may have fished it.......

Fished Lakeside Cottages myself, Mike and Eileen are wonderful hosts and will do their best to put you onto some fish. Here is a thread about my trip. http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45358-some-kawartha-carp/

I've fished Lakeside a few years ago and had limited success. Maybe it was tough fishing that year but I know of other camps that I believe you will find more to your liking....just saying...

Thanks Nathan - I do remember reading your report at the time, looks like you had a cracker mate!

Marcus. Check this episode of Urban Outdoor Adventures. They did an episode on the lake a few years ago.

Mike will put you on fish he knows all there is too know in that area. His groundbait works just gotta hit the spot past the weed & drop off. Fantastic hosts & lovely people you wont go wrong trust me.

Heres a fish from 2010

DSCF2755.jpg

Edited by Willow

Marcus. Check this episode of Urban Outdoor Adventures. They did an episode on the lake a few years ago.

I believe this was at youngs point the resort is no longer operating as a carp fishing option.

Edited by Willow

I believe this was at youngs point the resort is no longer operating as a carp fishing option.

I got to fish with Shaun in 2005 at Frenchmans bay super nice guy who really knows his stuff, this was when his TV spot was just taking off

Appreciate the info gents, We have 100lbs of boilies 40lb pack(!) and 40lb of pellets to throw at them with another 200lbs of maize and mixed particles sourced onsite. We're planning a baiting pyramid using a lot of the particles and pellets in the first 4-5 days to get them used to feeding. We'll gradually reduce the amounts of particles and up the boilie quantities until day 7 where we'll fish exclusively on boilies. In this way we hope to target the small number of large fish for the last 3 days - that's the plan as long as the ice has disappeared by then!

One of my favourites from Shaun. We had the Boilie Shop back then and supplied him with all the bait for that trip. Boilies, pellet, flavours and glugs. They seemed to have a great time. Not too sad a day fishing with the twins either right?

Bill D.

Marcus you wont need to bring all that bait the fish are right in front of you, maize catches there when the fish are on it, they have hardly never seen a boilie there, I would bring tiger nuts though the Kawartha fish love them, the fish I showed was caught on a good old Hinders tiger. Mikes method mix works well & the fish are used to it.

Braid is a must power pro 50lb minimum 80lb is not over the top, or get cut off on the ledge with razor sharp zebra's though I think you have fished out here before so you know big rig tube with braid is best. I used leads most of the time there but method feeders do work very well.

Thanks mate, we're preloaded with 80lb braid and we figure if no one ever fishes with boilies then we've got an advantage! We're after the bigger fish and subscribe to the boilie = bigger fish stable

I went there last year same time your going, the fish didn't really get on boilies, they dropped the water levels (they play with them all the time up there) which slowed everything right down, so it can be a lottery. Also bring mozzie stuff it was swarming in the evening there last May.

One of the guys also staying there did get a muskie on a boilie. The only place's I have seen boilies really work out here has been in Peterborough in the centre of the town and up at Long Sault.

All my biggest fish out here have come to tiger nut & I use crushed tigers & mainline tigernut syrup in whatever mix I am spodding out. I have used boilies everywhere here and even with heavy prebaiting they never really get on them like in Europe. The best boilies for me out here have been (except when I rolled my own but found it too time consuming) was Dynamite baits 15mm in Pineapple or Tigernut, I found 18mm boilies did not work as well they seem to like smaller baits probably because that is what size they are used to eating naturally. I had no real luck with any of the mainline range despite it being widely advertised that their shelflife baits work out here still caught fish just not as many as with Dynamite range.

Mikes molasses method/groundbait/corn works well there and if nothing else when it gets slow its a bit of fun using the groundbait sling, I got very accurate after a bit of practice.

Oh I am sure you know but just in case use large bore rig tube (I find esp best), no leadcore it will get cut off every other fish with the zebras/boulders, seen some English friends staying there and the Carpology boys at Long Sault get caught on that one.

I also use the korda lead clips with the swivel inside I find the runs are so savage here the standard push in clips let go pretty quick from the abrasion/abuse from boulders zebras & weed, I have lost fish with the heavy lead running up the line and catching on boulders/shelves, and if you set the rubber like in England you will lose a ton of lead.

I love the feedback lads, thanks so much for this. We've fished the Larry from a houseboat in the 000 islands all the way up to massena and everywhere in between for 12 years so really get the boulder and zebra's conundrum. In fact we filmed up to 70ft on the Larry and the zebra population beggars belief (shout up if you want access to the underwater filming) I've got to stand by my belief of the baiting triangle and I've put my trust in Bogdans bait this year though we've used dynamite extensively over the past decade. I absolutely believe that with a a focused baiting strategy using 400lbs of particles and 100lbs of boilies we can gradually sort the smaller testosterone charged males from the egg bound females. It's worked in 4 different countries spanning 20 years we've got to hope that K1 can help deliver for us this year.

We've got access to underwater filming and a 4x4 so we can explore the reed filled bays, bridges and town centre swims and in late May they'll be showing themselves so if we get out early enough we'll find em!

Agree with you willow on the leadcore, we use kryston ton up at 100lb strength with wide bore rig tube, the Korda lead clips are pointless unless you can drop $150 on leads during your week, but like TDP I believe that if you offer them a food bait in quantity then the bigger baits attract the larger fish in a competitive feeding situation. Mike is also going to help us out with his "specials" so we will definitely make use of his local knowledge. The proof is in the pudding so hopefully we can hit it just right, any more info is gratefully received fellas. No maggots Mario but we have 20k of pack since Rod Mills turned me to the dark side!

For the Kawarthas I have used 80lb power pro but in all reality 50lb straight through will suffice (I switched to 50lb last year), no need for ton up there it is not quite a wild as the Larry. The flow at Lakefield is minimal compared to the St Lawrence, if its not working at Lakeside then there are a plenty of spots on the Ontonobee right down to Peterborough Mike knows the places to go I have a map somewhere for the bus stop, pines etc.

Mike does not like the spot in Peterborough and you are right opposite the town but they do respond to bait there a lot of brits and Canadians fish it I have had some big hits there but the fish have been caught many times with mouth damage, average for all that area will be around 19lb not too many small ones.

I will PM you another spot that I have fished a lot (but not for a couple of years) but I don't want it public as I have had a couple of spots ruined by inconsiderate people upsetting the locals.

I have to work a lot at the moment but if I can get a day off at the weekend maybe I could meet you guys while you are here and try that spot.

That sounds good, always happy to explore and fish with CAG members. We're over 26th May through 5th June

Ok will see what I can do if I cant get over fishing I may just pop over on the motorcycle be nice to see Mike & Eileen again and see how you are doing, I will have a look later and try PM that map & details of a very productive spot I used to catch a lot of fish at.

I never fished with Lakeside cottages but you're in the heart of the Kawarthas with a ton of different opportunities to try if you get bored...Some pretty sweet scenery to look at too depending where you go. The fish are generally long and lean and pretty similar to those you find in the St. Lawrence (though if I had to compare, I still think the ones from the St. Lawrence fight harder on average).

It'll be interesting to see how the fishing will be with the long winter we've had. As Nick mentioned, prepare for zebra mussels especially around many of the locks. I prefer spooling up with 65lb PowerPro to avoid cut-offs. Early in the season I prefer using maize and other particles for hookbaits in that area but fish definitely do respond to boilies if you feed them. I remember one summer in the late 90's where 1 visiting angler from the UK baited up one spot with Nash white chocolate baits for a week. It got to the point where the fish wouldn't touch anything else. My dad and I scrounged the bushes after the angler flew back home to use as hook-baits.LOL

Keep in mind that conditions throughout the Kawarthas can vary from year to year. Some years the flow through Young's Point and Lakefield can be downright dangerous with docks and large trees flowing down river. Floods are fairly common in the Peterborough area (once every 5yrs or so). There's always at least a few spots to get out of the heavy current and those spots are usually loaded with fish.

I don't fish the Kawarthas as often as I used to these days but I still try to find the time to make it up there at least a couple times a year.

Best of luck with the trip Marcus

Mike

Thanks For the info Mike, the more I know what to expect the better I can plan. I've just spooled with 30kg power pro and I've suffered through zebra mussel hell in the past, in fact we got some great underwater footage of the st Lawrence last year around Kingston. The extent of the mussel infestation on absolutely everything was frightening. If anglers knew what they were fishing over, half the time they'd just pack up and go home!

In my experience if you put enough quality bait in front of low pressured hungry fish, they'll become totally preoccupied on it. That's the plan, we hope it works out!

I'm heading to an area close to Youngs Point in 3 weeks. We fished this spot last year and its a classic weed bed on the edge of a deeper channel. Our best hookbait was drilled maize on a hair. Honey cucc, monster maize worked but they seemed ravenous on the plain ole corn. I find in the clearer water less is more. When I fished Mikes place a few years ago he carpeted the swim with dry maize, never suggested any other bait. I did catch a beauty on a black licorice chunk.....

For those of you that have never fished the Kawarthas, give it a try.. Fish are crazy strong, clean and the venue is peaceful....not a smoke stack to be seen....

Good info, thanks for that. We'll be there from May 27th - June 5th and we definitely want to check out the end of Old Highway 28 to see if it's fishable.

I'm not a fan of soaked maize to be honest, you might as well put coloured cardboard out there! The boiling process releases starch and sugars that pull the fish in from a distance and keep them there, as the maize passes through the digestive tract of the fish the enzymes pull more nutrients out of the maize than when just soaked. Carp recognise that they'll receive high levels of nutrition so gorge on it, whilst they will feed on plain soaked maize it won't be with the levels of preoccupation you want as an angler.

really looking forward to our first time in the Kawarthas!

I agree and I always boil my maize. In fact I sometimes over boil my corn to leech out the starch/sugar into the boiling pot. I use a pasta pot that has a lifting strainer to remove the corn and the bottom of the pot will contain a mushy sweet mixture that is great as a binder for feeding balls or pack bait. Another trick I find that is consistently productive is to throw black licorice in with the corn when you're boiling it. Most licorice contains anise oil to give it the flavor and that seems to be favourable to the carp's taste buds.

Enjoy your trip....our winter was long and everything is a little delayed so you may be in the middle of a pre-spawn feeding orgy.

Kevin.