Carp Anglers Group Forums
740Newbie

Time to upgrade the ol' rod...

Could anyone recommend a decent rod/reel for me? I've been using a combo I picked up at a sporting store forever ago and it's starting to see the end of days coming up on it...

Also another question : When trying to use my boilie gun/table, it seems the mix is too sticky, would that just be solved by adding a bit of extra oils to the mix?

If your mix is too sticky then add some more base mix (dry), adding more oils will make it even stickier

If your mix is too sticky then add some more base mix (dry), adding more oils will make it even stickier

I always thought I was using too much base mix...I'll have to experiment a bit next time I knock up a batch...thanks carphammer!

Reference a good rod/reel. You'll get many different replies to that question. You might start out by looking on line at the various North American carp angling retailers... Wackerbaits, BigCarpTackle, Resistance Tackle and CarpKit. See if you find anything you like, they have something for every budget. If you use Facebook there are also a few "Used" Carp Tackle groups you can check out.

Depends what your base mix is made out of. Usually if you simply add some semolina it will absorb and stiffen up the mix to where it won't be sticky anymore. As far as rods and reels what is your price range you are looking at? It will be a lot easier to help out since they vary.

Depends what your base mix is made out of. Usually if you simply add some semolina it will absorb and stiffen up the mix to where it won't be sticky anymore. As far as rods and reels what is your price range you are looking at? It will be a lot easier to help out since they vary.

Probably around $500 or so, where in the heck do you find semolina? I've looked all over the state of Ohio and haven't found a place yet, even went up to Mesopotomia lol

Edited by 740Newbie

where in the heck do you find semolina? I've looked all over the state of Ohio and haven't found a place yet, even went up to Mesopotomia lol

Most every Kroger's grocery store has it...in the "Red Mills" natural grains and flour section. Also go to any Gordon's Food Supply (GFS) or Baking supply store.

Most every Kroger's grocery store has it...in the "Red Mills" natural grains and flour section. Also go to any Gordon's Food Supply (GFS) or Baking supply store.

I've tried Krogers O.O is it under a different name ?

If you can't find it in your local store you can probably order it on amazon. Most of the times if you buy a few items shipping becomes free after around $30

I've tried Krogers O.O is it under a different name ?

No, just Semolina...a very popular type of baking flour. Red Mills products are sometimes found in the health food section instead of baking section...all kinds of grains too. I've also seen it in Walmart.... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Semolina-Flour-24-oz-Pack-of-4/17340037

You can also use pasta flour...

Re rod/reels; are you looking for a set of two or three? Do you want baitrunners or just adjust the drags?

I agree with the previous advice as to picking up some gently used gear from forum members...

Or contact one of the sponsors and get their advice given your budget and needs. Good luck! You're stepping into quicksand... Lol...