Carp Anglers Group Forums
740Newbie

With no boilies made up, best baits to use in < 40 degree waters?

Thinking about heading out to the lake for a bit Sunday, water temps are about 35-40 degrees and I was wondering what would be the best bait to use in the colder waters?

sweetcorn if no nuisance fish are present, can't go wrong

Hell there's lots of panfish around and they love the corn, I could care less what I catch just wanna get the lines wet! lol

I would agree with the use of sweet corn. But I also like to use either liquidized bread or a panko bread crumb pack bait. With sweet corn on a hair. That is what has produced for me in the cold water. Good luck and tight lines!

Just my experience in colder water. Lived in Massachusetts for two years after the military. I used a panko bread pack with either maggots on the hair or wacker flavored pips.

Panko Bread Crumbs/creamed corn plus any flavorings which are optional. Works great all year for me

As most people have said, panko is a good start. I wouldn't worry too much about boilies at this point in your "carping career." Use sweet corn on the hair and I think you'll have some luck. When the water warms up and we get together, I'll share as much knowledge as I have to help you along.

As most people have said, panko is a good start. I wouldn't worry too much about boilies at this point in your "carping career." Use sweet corn on the hair and I think you'll have some luck. When the water warms up and we get together, I'll share as much knowledge as I have to help you along.

Thanks bud :) It really means a lot to have guys step in and share their knowledge, I'll be using pankos pack with a cornpuff or some corn this weekend (y)

And if you just happened to put a few drops of McCormick Anise flavoring on that sweet corn...it wouldn't hurt. It's been a favorite and effective cold water bait for me. And ditto on what Vinsanity said...come on out to one of the Fish In's...great group of folks and always helpful.

Thanks bud :) It really means a lot to have guys step in and share their knowledge, I'll be using pankos pack with a cornpuff or some corn this weekend (y)

:yes:

I use bread or corn flavored with vanilla or fruit flavors... my k1 juicy tuity fruity..does pretty good in cooler swims in my area....

Juicy tuity fruity flavor.. is what I meant to say in that one part....