Carp Anglers Group Forums
RandySpoor

gravel pits?

I have access to a gravel pit that has what seems to be a decent head of carp but am unsure how to go about attacking such a big, deep water. I know others have attempted to catch these carp to no avail. Any pointers? thanks guys.

Depends what the underwater features are? Are there gravel bars, plateaus, depth changes etc. Generally on gravel pits I will be looking to fish the marginal shelf or locate softer silt and clay areas. I would also be looking to fish close to any weed growth. Basically, you want to locate the carps natural feeding areas and to do this you probably need to spend some time with a marker float or better still get on with a canoe and echo sounder.

Good luck.

I think I would start by fishing the edges or margins first. The pits in my area are very clear and deeeeep. Tuff to fish in my opinion. But certainly not impossible.

How heavily fished is the area? That's has the potential to change the answers you get dramaticlly.

the area sees little to no pressure. and id imagine no one chasing carp. how does this effect answers?

I went down today and baited a bit also tossed a line out, but it was frigid.