Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest RebelCarp

is this a carp safe particle?

Similar to cracked corn just add boiling water and put a lid on it to steam it. Should be perfectly fine to use without boiling. The main issue with the bigger particles not being soaked and boilied is that they then swell in the carps stomach. Tiny grains are fine with a soaking in boiling water.

I have never seen any solid evidence that carp can be harmed by eating particles that swell. Having kept carp as pets, I can attest to the fact they had no problem consuming unboiled anything. You could feed them unboiled corn and seeds and they would eat it without any negative effects.Unless there is a significant amount of water in a carps stomach, particles will not swell. Even if they did swell, carp can vomit. My carp once littered my 180 gallon aquarium with a boilie mix that apparently contained excess sugar.

Grain spillage often occurs when loading barges. I have never heard of a carp or catfish kill as a result.

As far as I am concerned, particle swellage causing harm to any fish is pure myth.

Guest RebelCarp

I put boiling water over the particles for overnight. This cereal kept expanding and expanding. By the time I got enough water on top the bucket was almost full. Then when I opened the bucket the next morning, the cereal smelled like rotten eggs! I wont be using this stuff anytime soon :barf:

carp love rotten corn - I had some maze go bad on me and I tried it and the carp loved it but I could not stand it but it was the best maze I have ever made. I only wish it did not smell so bad because it was a great bait. My hand would smell for days after fishing but the carp loved it. Do would not worry about hurting carp they are eating machines.

Jeff

carp love rotten corn - I had some maze go bad on me and I tried it and the carp loved it but I could not stand it but it was the best maze I have ever made. I only wish it did not smell so bad because it was a great bait. My hand would smell for days after fishing but the carp loved it. Do would not worry about hurting carp they are eating machines.

Jeff

I am surprised to read what some are saying here. Carp do not have stomachs. There is no danger of particles swelling and getting stuck in their gut. What Ohio Carper says is true. Grain elevators and transfer stations would be carp killing fields if that was true.

..but they do have intestines. Yes, you can overfeed a carp, but I have never seen a carp die from eating dry flax. For me, I boil my grain and let it sit to increase its size, palatability, taste and aroma. Real tough trying to hair rig a hard piece of grain too. When I PVA grain, I like to make sure that all of the grain sinks, hence why I boil. Nothing worse than fishing bottom and watching fish crashing above your bait due to floating particles higher in the water column.

I like it when they go down and stay down ;)