Carp Anglers Group Forums
RandySpoor

What features do you look for in a river swim?

My local river is the susquhana. Ive learned in my short time in carp fishing to look for features such as shallower water, snags/hiding spots, and the slower water close to fast water. Im trying to broaden my selection of swims as well as trying to get away from some of the less desirable people in the area(Im sure you all know what i mean) What features do you guys tend to find success with? Thanks.

Guest RebelCarp

I fish the same river.

Look for point breaks, inside bends, shallow flats next to drop offs and eddies.

Shaded over hangs, cattails, where a creek or another channel runs in, creeks where trees in the water, moss on the water or silt bottoms....

I fish the same river.

Look for point breaks, inside bends, shallow flats next to drop offs and eddies.

All those features are key, especially the flats during Pre-Spawn.

mcmpondhopper, you are just up the road from me- about and hour and a quarter drive. I'm still learning- I just look for fishy looking water then bait the swim. My main place for carping is just a plain river. Not sure of where the channel is but I might check with some bassing friends to find out.

hmmm,

one of my best spots doesn't look "carpy" at all -- fast, deep water in the middle... turns out there's an enormous submerged boulder behind which the big girls hang out. I mean, you can get steady action in the surrounding shallows & eddies closer to the bank, but it's mostly under 10# & low teens, while the unlikely-looking spot produces mostly high teens or better.

hmmm,

one of my best spots doesn't look "carpy" at all -- fast, deep water in the middle... turns out there's an enormous submerged boulder behind which the big girls hang out. I mean, you can get steady action in the surrounding shallows & eddies closer to the bank, but it's mostly under 10# & low teens, while the unlikely-looking spot produces mostly high teens or better.

That boulder creates an underwater eddie. A great holding point for the big ones not interested in expending energy in the current. Takes familiarity with a swim to find a feature like that sometimes. Not always visible on the surface.

That boulder creates an underwater eddie. A great holding point for the big ones not interested in expending energy in the current. Takes familiarity with a swim to find a feature like that sometimes. Not always visible on the surface.

oh, absolutely. my point was, that you couldn't discern that it was a desireable spot without trying:

• the mega-boulder is never visible -- even at the lowest levels
  • the current is too strong to plumb effectively
  • electronics info is not available -- even jets don't dare to come up there... I've only seen 1 no-gadget old-timer serpentine his way in like he knew every pebble (with a prop, no less) & he promptly dropped a gill into "my spot", to yield a +/-40# Flathead (which is probably why smaller nuisance fish stay away)
Edited by philaroman