Carp Anglers Group Forums
RandySpoor

Leads vs. Inline Leads

Which do you prefer? why? I've been using inline leads since i started carping 3 years ago, but am considering giving the lead clips a try.

Guest RebelCarp

This is my personal opinion.

I HATE lead clips. I lost alot of leads in the river when using them. Maybe ill use it down the road but not for now.

Inlines are working extremely well for me and I wont use anything different for awhile.

Helicopter rigs are another rig I wont be using for a long time. I experienced alot of hook pulls when using helis.

If I have to fish heavy weed I may have to use helis or lead clips.

With the inlines its so nice to use different leads. Flat pears, distance, and method leads are great! Im giving feeders a second chance this month.

I HATE lead clips. I lost alot of leads in the river when using them. Maybe ill use it down the road but not for now.

Inlines are working extremely well for me and I wont use anything different for awhile.

Same here.

I use inlines for everything except heavy weed and zigs. That's where I use the clips.

i always use inlines. but like zach said if your fishing heavy weeds using a lead clip would probably be helpful

I used lead clips for the first time last year and found them to be ok.

I liked being able to remove leads without cutting lines when packing up at end of the day. Iv'e been thinking about

trying some quick change clevis's that cabelas has for spinner blades.

Guest RebelCarp

Horses for courses mate. Soft silty weedy bottoms suit lead clips, hard gravel type bottoms suit inlines

I dont like horses or lead clips :bigsmile:

It appears to me that they don't make lead clips quite like they used to. I bought some quite recently and initially, after losing several leads, thought I had, by mistake, purchased some that were specifically designed to drop the lead every time....despite trimming the tail rubber down and wedging it on as tight as possible...this didn't used to happen. I think a thicker tail rubber is one solution...

Lead clips can be expensive, but if you don't want to lose the lead everytime use the type without the locking pin. That way they will slide up the line should they get snagged.

I use lead clips only in weedy or snaggy areas. In extreme weed they work well, but in lighter weed an inline is fine.

I use inlines for pva solid bags and mesh or method as in these situations they will not tangle.

For longer range work a helicopter is ideal. As Parksy mentioned they are also good in deeper silt. Not sure what the problem with pulling hooks is with his set-up, as personally I lose very, very few fish, however I generally use them with 7-12 inch hook-links so if you are using shorter this may be the cause.

Randy, if inlines are working for you stick with them :)

I've never been able to figure out which one works better so I sometimes used inlines and sometimes clips. For distance fishing though, I do like the clips because they seem to be less prone to tangles.