Carp Anglers Group Forums
Streamtripper

Corn Puffs

Going to give this a go this year. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as what type/brand of corn puff do I buy and does it need to be treated (baked) to keep it from becoming soggy. Does this bait require frequent bait changes?

Appreciate some help.

Arrowhead Mills Puffed Corn seems to be the most used brand.

The puff will get soggy, but it'll stay on the hook as long as it isn't disturbed. If you pull in your rig after an hour or two, there probably wont' be a puff on it, but it most likely came off when you retrieved it. I've caught lots of fish on puffs that I swore were long gone.

they have them at the bulk barn they come in a bag not in the bulk ingredient containers, about $3.00. look in the health food section usually set up at the far end of bulk barn, it says organic corn puffs on the bag, you dont want corn pops cereal, totally dfferent item.

fish it with an oat, bread or grits pack around the hook, usually a 1/0 owner straight eye hook or similar.

Im sure Lorne will chime in as he specializes in this method.

gluck Darrin

google, carpin southern style for more details

Lorne is the Canadian expert on Puff fishing,

I can tell you this, if you do it right you will catch some amazing fish! I dont believe the make (brand) of puffs means too much, it is the physics of the method which fools the fish.

ATB Carpsava

Arrowhead Mills is the best puff. I go with untreated puffs 80% of the time.

Just have to believe they are still out there. I have left one out for over 15 hours and a 27lb carp found it. It will be gone the majority of the time that you reel in, but know it was there!

Should have gotten some when I was in GA last week. A search doesn't show any stores in 20 miles that carry Arrowhead Mills.

Edit: Thought I would give it another try. Food City in Vonore and Lenoir City carry Arrowhead Mills cereals. Have to get some when I'm up that way for one of the grandson's ball games.

Should have gotten some when I was in GA last week. A search doesn't show any stores in 20 miles that carry Arrowhead Mills.

Edit: Thought I would give it another try. Food City in Vonore and Lenoir City carry Arrowhead Mills cereals. Have to get some when I'm up that way for one of the grandson's ball games.

Even if the Arrowhead Mills website says they don't carry them, check health food and cereal aisle and you may be surprised. Almost every time on a very bottom shelf mid aisle away on the edge of the other cereals. Something to do with marketing and paying for shelf location I imagine.

I know of others that use Kix and other such corn pops...

Badapples is bang on.

Here is a picture of the bag.

post-2981-0-03637700-1400610389_thumb.jp

The Owner baitholder hook does not have barbs on the shank. It does have a straight eye. Other hooks with a similar style are suitable too. It is my experience that the Owners work best just as Mr Big recommended.

post-2981-0-75454000-1400610608_thumb.jp