Carp Anglers Group Forums
joshuabergeron

Josh From Western Ma

Hey Guys!

Not too many MA fisherman here I see. I fish western Ma, mostly CT river. I do a lot of Bass fishing as well as carping. That was my first passion I only started carping 7-8 years ago and only recently have i switched to fishing mostly carp.

I'm interested in trying new things when it comes to carp fishing. I started just using my bass gear med action 6' rod and light line with a split shot and size 6 hook loaded with corn. This year I started using leadcore leaders and hair rigs. Still haven't caught carp on anything but canned corn but started to mess around with chick peas WCB corn boilies and pop ups.

My goal is to take back the MA state records from bow and arrow. A 46 lb 5 oz monster taken by bow and arrow in 2012. I pleaded with the state to list different records for rod and line and arrow but they refused so I guess I need to change that myself =) Already got one 41lb 10oz yesterday so the record isn't far off.

Got any good spots to share in the area? I've got some to trade!

Wanna meet up for session and teach me a thing or two? Let me know!

Nice to meet ya josh. I think this year we'll take the record back for sure. I also fish the Ct river I have a few decent spots here in the agawam region.

Thanks for the response. I'll be moving to chicopee in a week or so with the ct river in my back yard. Agawam is right up the road let's set up a fishing trip this season

Hi Josh & Cole

Welcome to CAG.There are actually quite a lot of carp anglers in MA but not all of them are CAG members. Congratulations on the new PB Josh.......and good luck with your move.

I hope to meet you both at one of our MA CAG fish-ins before too long.

Regards,

Iain

Hi Josh,

Well, don't get me started on this MA 'fishing' 'record'... :really angry::really angry::really angry:

The trouble with those state records (aside from the non-sense about bow & arrow) is that there is no practical way to make it happen without killing the fish. So... personally, I'll be happy to brag about the CAG MA record if I do catch a monster, but the state record will be left alone...

Anyhoo, welcome, you're obviously quite the accomplished carp angler already.

I don't get the need to kill the fish either Jerome. I'd really love to get a record (my dad would be SO proud haha) but who knows if I could actually kill the fish when it is all said and done. I haven't killed a carp yet and I'd like to keep it that way. Nice to hear from more guys fishing carp from mass. I'm sick of people asking me why I'm fishing a garbage fish. :angry2: They obviously don't have a clue!

Weird thing is that I hold the US record for kois (yes, there is such a thing!), and this was pure catch and release, a local biologist identified the species based on a pictures, I had witnesses, a certified scale, and this was fine with the national-level procedures... But state record procedures are stupid, stupid, stupid.

Anyhoo, I just saw the 41lb you caught, what an amazing fish, you must be over the moon.

Still so happy about it. thought this might be useful for my fellow MA fishermen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SbrIrVa0xGczhoUVN5empRd1U/edit?usp=sharing

it's a spreadsheet of all carp caught and reported to MA wildlife div since 1979 including size date location and bait. Cheers!

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see more Western MA guys on the site. It looks like the CT River has been very nice to quite a few people. As for a State Record its all about the ethics these days. Alot of people are upset at how the State's view is on carp. I myself got a first hand verbal by one of the wildlife workers recently and their stance is very distant from where we are. They actually talked about bow fishing for them and how fun it is so you just have to keep enouraging these folks because the state of CT has a perfect catch and release system that would help preserve trophy size fish instead of killing them for a record or a gold pin. Anyway, enjoy the site, enjoy fishing, and have fun. Just dont feed into the negativity of those specific anglers you may meet along the way that think they know everything and everything is a secret. There are 4 goals in this club and being a douche isnt one of them, Lol. Best of luck and post some pics..