Carp Anglers Group Forums
Janderson

New guy from Cincinnati

Just thought I would make a post to introduce myself and say hello.

I've been browsing the forums for a few days, recently discovered the site via a member of the OGF forums. I've been fishing my whole life, mostly for catfish. I'm sort of a new "carper", though I've fished for them many times in the past and caught hundreds, I never had carp specific gear or really appreciated them as a gamefish until recently. I've recently become interested in the euro style of carp fishing, all the fancy trinkets and carp specific gear has me intrigued. I have had my eye on this style of fishing for several years now, but never seriously enough to pull the trigger and buy some gear, until now. I figure I know of several local places where I could catch very large carp, I know I enjoy catching them and they fight like a frieght train, why am I wasting my time with other species? As a diehard catfisherman, my local waters just do not produce throphy size cats, especially with the commercial fisherman basically hoop netting the Cincinnati pool of the Ohio clean of the big ones. Not to make it sound as if I think carp are a last resort to catching large fish, that isn't the case. More so why not embrace the carp that I already know I love to catch, put my time and effort into chasing those monsters instead.

So that is what brings me here, I hope to learn a lot from you guys here and hopefully I can contribute some myself in the future.

I currently still do not own any carp specific gear, that will change soon. I've been carefully doing my research on what to shop for, I plan on buying everything I need to get started within the next couple weeks.

Hey Janderson, it's Vince from OGF. There is a ton of information on this site and a lot of people here that can help out. Poke around a bit and I'm sure you will get a basic understanding of what needs to be done. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. Ohio seems to have an active group of carpers. Try to go to some of the fish-ins and learn from the guys and gals.

I started out in life as a buckeye (worthless nut, I have been told). Used to live off Colerain Road just around the corner from Mt. Airy Park. I never had a chance to try fishing the Ohio River as I was only in Cincy for six months. :( We really liked Cincy and hated to leave.

Welcome Janderson, always great to find a fellow Buckeye who enjoys carp fishing. There are several carp anglers in your area and up the Interstate 75 corridor to Dayton....as well as throughout the state. We usually have some kind of in-state get together scheduled 9 months of the year...here's this year's schedule http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/53239-finalized-2014-ohio-fish-in-schedule/ A Fish In is a great place to meet many of them, as well as, take a look at various items of tackle you may be considering purchasing. You don't have to be a CAG member to attend any of our events.

I'd definitely take Rodman up on his offer...he has a perpetually packed carp mobile that'll knock your socks off. The one thing I would like to say though is don't let the lack of what some call "proper" carp gear prevent you from coming and joining us on the bank...as with any other angling, equipment can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it....the joy of carp fishing can be enjoyed by all. Great to see you here, good luck in your venture and hope to meet you on the bank.

I appreciate the warm welcome from you all, certainly a friendly group of folks here.

I've been spending a lot of time on here taking in a lot of information. I have been talking to a few fishing buddies of mine about carping and all the new methods of catching them that I've been reading about. They seem pretty well excited to give it a try also.

Really glad I found this place, random Google searching for this sort of info is a tiresome task.

Hello people, I'm looking to get involved in some carp fishing with a 20-30 minute drive from Downton Cincinnati. Im from the UK but visit Cincinnati around 5-6 times a year with work. I am able to bring my fishing gear with me.

Welcome Richard, we have a few very active guys just north of Cincinnati. We have fish-ins all over the state most months but we are done for the year now. I'm a couple of hours north in Columbus and also from the UK, been over here 12 years now. Keep an eye out on the forum for future events or shoot me a pm and I can point you in the direction of more local guys. The winter is coming so things will slow down for now and pick up in the spring.

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly drop you a line. Does carp fishing stop in the winter due to weather? I used to avoid fishing in the winter but I've had some cracking fish in the middle of January in the snow. I guess you guys get much colder winters though!!

I fish until early December I would say before the weather gets too bad. You can fish longer but the temps can get very low and most places will freeze over for a month or two, sometimes longer depending on how bad the winter is. you might be able to find a warm water discharge from a factory or plant is you are lucky. One of our Ohio guys had some luck last year fishing through the ice but that's not for me lol.

Edited by cypry