Carp Anglers Group Forums
vaindioux

Cheap alarms on Ebay, are they ok?

Hi

I see that Ebay sellers from China post some very affordable alarms for like $10 each. has anyone tried them?

I hope it's ok to post this here, my apologies if it isn't.

Thanks

Patrick

With cheap alarms, it's kinda hit or miss...but mostly miss. I mean cheap alarms should work from the start but the question is how long they'll last. I've bought my share of $10-15 alarms and 80% of them didn't last a season. But two $20 alarms I've had for 7 years now and they are still going strong. As a starter, they should be good but don't expect too much life from them...if you get lucky like me, maybe they'll last a decade or more.

If you're looking for some budget alarms - I would look for some low end (cost wise) alarms from any of the vendors that advertise on this site. You can;t go wrong with any of them.

I mysellf, purchased some 30-35 dollar alarms 10+ years ago from a vendor (hint WB) on this site and have had nothing but good luck with them.

Admittedly, they are low end and basic, and I use them sparingly (I don't get out more than maybe 10 -15 times a year) - but they have seen torrential rains, been banged around, etc and they keep on ticking.

FYI - I replace the batteries every year, whether they need replaced or not. Radio Shack sells them cheaper than you'll find online. (do not store the batteries in the alarms when not in use)

Hope this helps.

edit = spelling correction on "alarms".

Edited by KingKool

you get what you pay for,,,,,Cheap has always been in my experience EXPENSIVE !!!

you get what you pay for,,,,,Cheap has always been in my experience EXPENSIVE !!!

Ditto. Buy the best you can afford and never look back. Doesn't mean you have to pay $150 or more apiece, just don't expect too much from a $10 alarm.

There are quite a few low cost +/- $20 range, entry level alarms, available from our US vendors that support CAG. They work, they make a noise to indicate a run, they get the job done. No frills, bells or whistles. I started with some $15 alarms, heck, 2 years later they still work. Acquired 3 x $20 alarms, they also, work. As noted above, change batteries each season. Support your local US vendors, it's worth another few $ imho.

I wouldnt go with cheap ebay alarms ..

As many of us i have started thinking of cheap alarms will do work ... grrrr was wrong .. if you really want some alarms in good price just get BFS alarms .. cheap and fairly good .. with time youll see that need of good alarms with advanced setting will be necessary ..

my 2 cents .. check batteries in BFS regularly they tent to go out quick ..

Plus there aint no better alarm then piece of branch on line btw rings !!!! old style rulezzz

Batteries- I check mine before every trip. I also keep two spares that are checked also. I'm going to spring for some rechargeable batteries sometime this year. That way I have an excuse to fish more often.

If you're looking for some budget alarms - I would look for some low end (cost wise) alarms from any of the vendors that advertise on this site. You can;t go wrong with any of them.

I mysellf, purchased some 30-35 dollar alarms 10+ years ago from a vendor (hint WB) on this site and have had nothing but good luck with them.

Admittedly, they are low end and basic, and I use them sparingly (I don't get out more than maybe 10 -15 times a year) - but they have seen torrential rains, been banged around, etc and they keep on ticking.

+100! Support our local vendors; what you spend is worth it in support!

I've had 'budget' alarms from several of them; they all worked well and lasted.

Look for the features you want/need, though; for instance, if you are in swims prone to wind and wave action, a sensitivity setting is valuable so you aren't listening to a constant beep beep beep caused by the wind and waves...

Cheap alarms often lack waterproofing. One rainstorm and they are usually fried. Don't waste your money. I suggest buying quality alarms. Those will last even in the rain.

The best cheap alarm I've used is the Ultimate Striker ls that used to be in the Royal Carp kits. If they had a sensitivity control they'd be beautiful. Miles ahead of the old Percas imo and I've found them on ebay occasionally. Like any roller alarm they aren't going to be announcing fish like Delkims but they're very durable and reliable. Unfortunately if the waves come up all you can do is turn them down.

I bought mine for Amazon 4 for 40 sensitivity control,tone control volume of course night light setting also