Carp Anglers Group Forums
LeGrand

3wt rod safe

Some members of our Ottawa Flyfishers Society went this evening for small fish in the backwaters of Dow's Lake, situated in the center of the city of Ottawa. I had my 3wt fly rod and 2lb tippet holding my small streamer. Been working a shaded area, when I see movement coming for my offering. Wow! A carp in size close to 10-15 lbs is interested. I pulled my line away a.s.a.p.

Imagine what that fish would have done on my 3wt. Guess the tippet would not have resisted anyway. Just got scared for the rod tip. Others guys were laughing at me.

Overall, I support your decision to not try to catch the carp. Don't "second-guess" yourself.

Considering your 2 lb tippet, chances are that a carp that size would have broken off. In your shoes (depending on the conditions), I'd have been tempted to give it a try anyway -- just to see if I could land it -- but I wouldn't recommend it. You mentioned that you were fishing in the backwaters of the lake. If there wasn't a lot of open water there where you could fight the fish, you wouldn't have had much of a chance anyway, with that 2 lb tippet.

More importantly, your decision could have been the best one for the fish's well-being. I once caught a 24 lb grass carp on a light spinning rod and 6 lb line. That lake was clean with few obstructions, so I had plenty of room to wear down the fish. Even so, it took so long to land the carp on my light line that I came close to killing it from exhaustion and stress. I had to revive it for a good 10 minutes before it was finally able to swim away on its own. That experience taught me not to use such light tackle for carp -- at least not where there's a possibility of hooking a sizable fish.

I would have given it a try. As nmt2f said, the tippet would break. The rod tip would have been OK if you didn't put too much pressure on the fish. You don't say what kind of reel you have. Does it have a good disk drag? Palming rim? Keep in mind that tarpon over 100 lb. are caught on fly rods. Tippet and leader are a fraction of the fish's weight. The biggest problem is the tippet being cut on the sharp gill plate.

Carp on the skinny stick are on the list for this year.

Like mentionned above

... If there wasn't a lot of open water there where you could fight the fish...

Twisting waterway with lots of overhanging trees, with 15'-30' from one shore to the opposite.

As for my reel, I had on a Lamson Konic 1.5, which is good quality, but I was really wooried about the rod tip snapping, although the tippet would have certainly broken before.

Better be safe than sorry (in my book), but it would have been exciting hooking on to it, even for a minute (or less).

The only way the rod tip would break would be if you put too much stress on it. A good drag and lots of backing are the key. However, your decision indicates good judgment on your part. Now.........get a heavier rod and go back. You realize that pictures are required.

Next time, me and the wife are bringing our baitrunners and feed, but we will be fishing the lake for more open space. I could also bring another time one of my sturdier baitcasting rods.