Carp Anglers Group Forums
goatsdime

line breaks

Went and fished a new lake Sunday night started out with a run quick so I thought it was going to be a good night lost the fish due to my line breaking felt the line and about 10 foot up the line was cuts so I figured my fault I didn't check it next rod goes off same thing now I say to myself that ain't right retie recast rod goes again and the same thing I finally land one only 13lbs I ended up losing 5 or 6 and cut prob 20 feet of line off each rod does anyone have any suggestions to avoid this I like the lake and would like to try it again and maybe land the fish lol

I did check those and the rods have been used just a handful of times as far as zebra mussles not sure but the water was very clear at the bank and the was a lot of mussle shells there busted open and the lake is warmed by a plant if that helps any thank u both for Ur responses

Im sure this is not the case here but my friend was having a similar problem one day until i noticed he had run his line through the side of the rod tips last guide. He broke off two fish before I noticed. I still bust his chops about it everytime we fish.

I did check those and the rods have been used just a handful of times as far as zebra mussles not sure but the water was very clear at the bank and the was a lot of mussle shells there busted open and the lake is warmed by a plant if that helps any thank u both for Ur responses

Zebra mussels are the problem. Are you using mono? If so, what lb test? I have had problems with smaller lb test before. I just bump up the lb test, and maybe even add a leader thats heavier than the mainline.

I use 15 and 20 lb big game I was thinking leaders also any suggestions

One major sugesstion is to keep your rod tips high. If you keep them low in an area with zebra mussells, when you get a run, your line is getting run through a cheese grater. Beyone that, try some 30lb fluorocarbon. I had the same thing happen to me with 15lb big game, I moved spots and havent had any issues.

zebra mussles are the size of your thumbnail....if the shells you see are large they're not zebras

Sounds more like mussells than line guides, but hard to say without actually being there...

Assumption: the line is new or recently added? Sun light will weaken mono.... should replace every 6 months or so depending on how much you're out...

I live in Zebra central. I use 80lb power pro leader. Haven't had a break off from zebras since. Only problem is the PP tends to float, which can create an issue if you are fishing current. Zebras are nasty things. You should see what they do to your feet if you step on a clump attached to rocks :blink:

Might try to add a length of rig tubing above lead. That has helped me before.

Last fall, I fished the Hiwassee River in TN with "skeet3t". I hooked & landed one carp (about 12 lb) with no problem, but subsequently I broke off 4 others. In fact, the last one took off on a screaming run, and as I raised the rod to set the hook, there was, literally, "nothing there" -- no hook weight or swivel. It broke off before I even set the hook.

I was using 30 lb braid, and after each break-off, I noticed several feet of frayed line near the end, which I cut off -- of course -- before I re-rigged. Skeet (John) told me that large barges travel the river, and between whatever trash they might leave behind and whatever junk they stir up, plus all the large sharp rocks that exist in that stretch, the bottom is pretty rough. As an afterthought, I was surprised that I was able to even land my first carp without the line breaking.

I assume that you've already ruled out the possibility of extremely rough bottom conditions like I described above.

Lol I haven't ruled nothing out yet because the spot I fished was an channel between the two body's of water and a main access to both bodies so anything could be down there I know next time I will be upping my gear hopefully to land more the fish I lost felt heavy and just played me so I'm ready to give it another go