Carp Anglers Group Forums
Donald Low

Fishing Access On The Charles River (Boston)

Hi all,

I am new to MA and living south of Boston (Weymouth). I came from the UK a couple of months ago and I a starting to get carp fever because I haven't been out with the rods yet. I was wondering if you fellas have any advice on easy access points on the Charles or other rivers near Boston? I fishing mostly ponds back in the UK, so looking forward to trying to catch a river carp.

Also if any nearby carp nuts want to meet for a days fishing and maybe introduce me to MA carping it would be very much appreciated.

Weymouth... Well, if you find carp around there, please tell us, but I'm not too sure they are present in ponds near you.

There is plenty of shore access to the Charles river between Watertown, Cambridge and Boston itself. Just go drive around a bit, and you'll easily figure it out. Sometimes a bit hard to park, though. Carp are pretty much everywhere. And yes, river fishing is cool.

Hot summer time is coming fast, with poor fishing. Fall in New England is amazing though, great weather and great fishing, extending to the end of November. I'm sure we'll find an opportunity to meet by then.

My advice on the Charles is to go on a Sunday or in the evening. Parking is free then. There is a bike/walking trail all along the Charles that runs parallel to Storrow Drive. Lots of carp along there but very busy on nice days in the summertime.

Good luck.

Hello and welcome to the forum and CAG. Along with the Charles, the Malden, Merrimack and, if you are willing to travel farther, the CT River offer great river fishing opportunities. Good luck! Come back and post up some pictures to let us know how you do.

Thanks Levi.... but I am in CA until Friday. If there is anything happening over the weekend I would be very interested.

Anyone got a good spot for parking near 'The Esplanade' in Boston?

Sadly, no. Quite a pain to park in this area. Commonwealth Ave is public parking, but finding an open spot is rather challenging, and it's then a bit of a walk to the river. Oh, and better feed the meter...

Your best bet is to fish on a Sunday because parking is free in Boston and park on Beacon St. The walk depending on where you fish could be a couple blocks of walking to a swim. If your going to fish over by the esplanade pull off the exit on the left before the esplanade off storrow drive. You may want to get down there between 6-7 AM to get a parking spot but that is the closest parking to that area.