Carp Anglers Group Forums
radu ghelmez

fisherman looking for fish - roswell ga

hi guys

i am a romanian relocated to roswell ga last year for work reasons. i used to do quite a lot of carp fishing back home, not at a professional level or anything, but frequent enough to grasp the basic gear and concepts.

since moving here, i tried the local entertainment which seem to be hooking stocker trout in chattahoochee river and i think that's plenty of fun, but few days ago, while spinning for perch on bull sluice lake, i've seen somebody netting a 4 pound carp from the shore and i suddenly remembered i am first and foremost a carp guy. i went to bass pro and got myself 2 maddragons and whatever else i could find there (what an experience, looking for carp gear in bass pro, the looks on the sales professionals faces when you ask about hair rigs, priceless) and i am ready to rock.

where should i go?

bull sluice lake is the closest to me and seems to hold decent carp, but they close the park at sunset and i have no clue when exactly they open it in the morning, so this is kind of a bummer, as i don't want to fish stressed by the closing hours. i read a lot about lanier and allatoona and i am kind of equal distance from either one, but both are huge lakes and i know from back home that finding the productive spots with no boat and no sonar is an lengthy enterprise.

are there any good lakes, paid or public, in my area where i could shake of the rust from my carping skills? i don't mind driving, but it would be awesome to find a place close enough so i can get there after work hours and get some evening fishing.

tx in advance and cheers to everybody

fir intins

radu

Expect to get several replies as there are a bunch of carpers in the Atlanta area. I'm one but 150 miles isn't exactly the suburbs. Maybe we'll meet sometime.

Most Atlanta area waters close at sunset. Only metro place I know open to fishing past then is stone mountain which you can fish till 12pm.

Its rough finding places you can do a long session at in the metro area.

being close to the hooch I would focus there for now, just remember above the dam is classed as a trout stream and I believe you can only use one rod and no prebating.

Tight lines

thanks for the replies.

and wow, good point regarding the trout stream classification. i knew it is a trout stream and actually it is up to peachtree creek, but i thought the only rule i have to be aware is that i can't fish with live bait.

i checked now and you are right, only one rod allowed. good to know, i had been fishing there this week several times with two rods and could have got into trouble.

one additional question regarding the closing hours. is it forbidden to fish after sunset in public waters?

my problem was so far that they close the parking, and i was actually considering buying a cheap bike and just bike there. but if the fishing is illegal, that plan will fail.

this is such a bummer, i was on the lake yesterday evening and got a bite when i was packing. i landed a 7.7 pounds carp, but it took me a while because i was alone and with a short handle net. fighting it got me past the sunset and i literally run through the forest in order to get back to parking before closing of the gates. nearly broke my neck sliding on the path.

http://imgur.com/yrweaNr

As far as I am aware yes it is, since they are state or national parks they I believe are rather hot on things like that.

I am looking into the viability of camping at a couple of the parks and fishing since I notice a serious drought of places we can fish a long session on. The issue with this is obviously one of location, no point renting a camp site if no fish in the area :) Then you have the cost of renting a camp pad.

I am planning on fishing lake lanier in the next few days so will let you know how that works out, again both Lanier and Alatoona if fishing the Parks close at sunset.

The only other places I know for sure you can night fish are the paylakes they generally have evening tournaments.

I am finding Metro Atlanta a challenging place for a English Carp guy plus the fish seem to enjoy taunting me, just ask needmoretime2fish :)

Cheers

thanks again.

and please, do let me know about lanier, i am thinking of going there saturday or sunday as well. it is too far away for me to go fish after work hours, but in the weekend i'll give it a try.

i find the fish here to be quite cooperative :) there is not much pressure on them and they do not develop the sophisticated approach they seem to have in europe due to being catch and released so many times.

do you know of any pay lake in my area (otp north). i only found two which are pretty far from me, to the east and south.

and with regards to night fishing, i think fall will make things better, as the good hours will extend, but for now it is such a pity

I am looking at probably fish Lanier Saturday, I am planning on fishing West Point Park which is close to the dam.

As for paylakes near you I really have no idea, I have only fished one out past Loganville called Reds.\

You seem to be having success on the Hooch I have yet to try it so would be interested in doing that one day.

Cheers

Don't have a map in front of me but aren't you about as close to Chattanooga Tn as you are Atlanta? Lots of good big carp water all along west Interstate 24 and to the north of it on I-75. There's also a carping legend just to the south of you in Lithia Springs...Relaximus Maximus Max for short)...he shows quite a few of the Georgia Carpers how it's done. Good fishing to ya..glad you found us.

Nukieuk, if i go to lake lanier as well, i will like to shake your hand :) i drive a black passat with tinted windows. do you know what time they open the park? this dawn dusk nonsense is driving me crazy, why can't they have operating hours?

and yeah, if you want to try bull sluice lake, let me know and i can tell you what i've did and where. so far, this lake was good to me, two trips this week for two hours or so after work and each time an 8 pounder biting smack at sunset. no prebaiting, no fancy stuff, just canned corn soaked in a bit of vanilla essence and honey..

Buckeye Bob, from my place to chattanooga there are exactly 100 miles. definitely a trip i am willing to undertake for a good lake where i can fish an entire weekend. now how do i do to find those lakes, should i head over to TN subforum and ask the folks over there?

I will probably be the only person there with a Pod setup, I believe that park opens at 8am which is when I intend to get there.

Just look for a silver bmw with lots of bumper stickers including a CAG one :)

It will be my first time fishing there but Needmoretime has given me some pointers.

Welcome to CAG and to Georgia! Hope we can get together some time.

PM sent.

Edited by needmotime2fish

Hi!

I fish for carp in the 'Hooch by Atlanta; I also worked in Romania back in the late 70's..I used to fish the Danube and Donau-Tisa-Donau canal for carp.

I am out fishing most weekends of the year, although its November now and I switch from carp to suckers.

There are several spots close to you where I have caught 20lb + carp. I am happy to supply more details if you want, but typically it will be February before you have decent chances of success.

Yes, it is one rod allowed all up the 'Hooch around Atlanta. I was unaware that this was even the case on Bull Sluice...until I got warned by park officials.

I am also under the impression that fishing after dark is not allowed, which is a pain!

Tony

hi Tony

nice meeting you and yeah, i am totally looking for some more details if you would like to share. please feel free to PM me if you think that's best.

good to know the park people only warn you the first time, i never push it, i only use two rods and i heard other people are doing the same around there, but yeah, technically that's trout water and trout rules apply.. and yes, i can confirm fishing is not allowed after sunset which is such a shame and got me in trouble several times (car locked in the parking and such)

long story short, let's connect and share our tricks (not that i have some, i am only exploring the area right now). me and my buddy, we are also fishing almost every weekend when weather permits it, so maybe we will meet at some point somewhere and say hi.

regards

Radu

Hi!

I regularly fish the 'Hooch at Roswell.

Yes , only one rod allowed, but you will come across people sitting behind a vast array of rods. The rules seem to be made just to annoy us...I wouldn't mind if I was fishing for damn trout...and I really object to Bull Sluice being classified as a trout water when there really are no trout in it...or at least I have never caught one from there.

Anyway now is the time to fish the'Hooch as the big carp are moving out of the lake and heading upstream and so the chance of hooking into one in the twenties is a distinct possibility, with a good supply of mid to upper teens.

While I personally wouldn't do this, you can fish with more than one rod in Big Creek from where it joins the'Hooch. I have had carp out of that up to 22lb, but you will find it fishes much better when the 'Hooch is high. I am currently trying the upper creek above the waterfall but so far( almost certainly due to the cold February we are having) I have not had a sniff of a carp bite and have busied myself catching some darn big sunfish and a load of suckers which are fun on light line.

I have been fishing the 'Hooch for carp in the Atlanta area

for the past 15 years and am happy to show you where I have had some success.

By the way I used to live in Romania back in the late 70's and spent many a happy day fishing the Danube...what a beast of a river that is!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

i decided to use no more than two rods on bull sluice until somebody will warn me. unfortunately, i did catch some trout while fishing for carp in bull sluice; i guess it's because i use much smaller hooks than I've seen carp fishermen around here using. so, i occasionally hook a stocker or two on canned corn, which i release right away, but trout is such a sensitive fish and dragging it with a carp pole may be too rough on it. i feel moderately guilty, i guess, but i had no casualties so far.

i've never been to the place you mention, i only fish bull sluice by the pit, close to the dam and, in summer, by the dead or dying channel under the forest. morgan falls park, essentially. can you bank fish on big creek? is big creek also trout water?

i was not even considering going fishing in this weather, but now you made me second guess it, so i will most likely go out tomorrow midday with my fishing buddy and i'll try to figure out the big creek situation. if you are out fishing too and don't mind company, i would love to meet you and share some stories.

and yeah, danube is an awesome river, but it's not for beginners, it takes real skill and knowledge of places to get something there. in the 70's was probably better, but the fish population depleted in the later years. i lived most my life 60km from the river and never ever had any luck there, so i mostly stick to the lakes in the danube flood area, rather than the river itself.

cheers

Radu

Radu

Big Creek: If you park at the Chattahoochee recreation car park near where Big Creek enters the 'Hooch, there are several spots where you can bankfish BUT there are snags all over the place and as I said earlier, it really does depend on the depth there...which is dependent on the 'Hooch. Snow water will be coming down and so I doubt you will get much success. More likely is the mouth of Big Creek where it enters the 'Hooch. Most people there fish across, BUT the carp, if any are there tend to be on the inside line. ...or try from the little dock just below the pedestrian bridge...again the inside line is best.

You can also try the'Hooch downstream of the Roswell road bridge.I fish the playground section...there are a couple of somewhat deeper areas there, but if the river is low and clear, forget it Again be aware that the carp travel up the margins and so sit upstream and cast downstream no more that 5 yards out.

Tomorrow will be pretty cold, but I may be able to meet you if you want me to show you some of the spots I have had success. You can contact me at tlocke@aischool.org

Cheers

Tony

Radu..Just to show what is possible right by you in Roswell, I fished Big Creek at Roswell on Saturday and in a couple of hours I had four doubles to 16.5lb from 6 runs. This is right next to the car park at the junction of Roswell Rd and Azalea Drive. There are a lot of snags in the water there and losing some fish is par for the course, but it will fish well right now unless the levels in Big Creek are down due to low water levels in the'Hooch..and that is often the case on Sundays as water levels are dropped so that trout anglers can catch something.

Tony