Carp Anglers Group Forums
Nukieuk

Who else thinks the GA state record for a Common Carp is rather low

Ok,

Since the board is rather quiet I figured I would start a new topic.

Given the climate here I am surprised that the GA state record is not at least a 40. I am wondering why.

I lived in GA for a number of years and fished waters for carp in the northern half of the state. My guess is that there are 40s, but they are found in waters that have very few other carp - waters that would not be much fun to fish in the sort term. Most waters seem to have a stunted population which reduces their maximum size due to a lack of food. Lake Burton might perhaps be worth a shot.

Interesting that you mention stunted fish, its a debate I have been having with needmoretime2fish as to why fort yago seems to not have anything bigger than single digits.

I fished Fort Yargo 8 years ago and they seemed stunted to me, but I did not fish there much. It looked like a place that would have a problem with that however.

BOW FISHING!!!!! i have seen 50+ pounder killed at clark hill lake!!

BOW FISHING!!!!! i have seen 50+ pounder killed at clark hill lake!!

I try to keep an eye on the "bowfishing" thread on the GON (Georgia Outdoor News) forum, just to see where that activity is taking place and what they're killing.

Several years ago someone posted having shot several carp over 40, but I haven't seen too much recent activity being posted on that forum. I do think most of it is on lakes Russell and Clarks Hill, on the GA-SC border. But there's also been a few recent posts from several of the middle-Georgia lakes on the Chattahoochee. I also saw some complaints from non-bow-fishers about all the carp and gar left floating at one of the boat ramps in the upper section of Lake Lanier.

I e-mailed the GA DNR about that incident, and asked if it might be possible to enact some law regarding such a "wanton waste of fish" (I seem to remember reading on our forum that at least one state already has such a law on the books).. Unfortunately, my e-mail was completely ignored, or else it fell into the DNR's e-mail "black hole" and was never received. I've received no reply or even an acknowledgement in the several months since I sent it. This being an election year, I'll resend it, but instead, I'll send it to my state representative, and mention that the original was "ignored" (?) by the DNR.

Edited by needmotime2fish

I regard the GA record as low as well and know that I am still unlikely to trouble it!

I do not see the fish as stunted and have seen my average weight of a carp progressively rise over the last few years, but then I fish almost exclusively for river carp.

I would suspect that any record would come from a lake and as others have noted, the bow fishermen are likely to kill any really big carp.

Could GA rivers hold carp in excess of 35lb? Possibly...I have tangled with monster carp in fast flowing rivers before...the Rhine and Danube for example.

I just wonder if the genetic stock of our carp is the limiting factor..or it it the high summer temps...or is it my limited angling skills(hence my opening sentence).

Anyway I shall continue to enjoy catching the "doubles" and odd "twenty" and maybe, just maybe, I might catch a true river monster one of these days!

Cheers

Tony

Tennessee's record is 53 lb. and was caught in 1997 out of Marrowbone Lake, a TWRA managed lake NW of Nashville. The lake covers 60 acres. Wonder if it is still there?

I have fished Marrowbone twice and never saw a common carp. Lots of huge grass carp and dozens of catfish.