Carp Anglers Group Forums
steeler

A Peculiar Combination

Truth be told, I've always found carp angling to be quite fantastical. From the long rods, the even bigger reels, and the seemingly endless techniques to catch the queens of river.

It's always struck me as - for a lack of better words - humorous, how there are seemingly endless styles of baits, rigs, flavorings and above all else, no one can really agree on anything to be completely honest.

Some days while sitting on the back, I've wondered is this all really necessary? I look down to my right, and i see a stainless steel rod pod garnished with an electronic device that alerts me when the line is being fiddled with. I look to my rod, and wonder if I really need 350+ yards of 12lb monofilament. I've never had a carp even empty half of that. Or If my over-sized reel is what is necessary to do the job.

Carp angling is like that insane friend you have, you know the one that smokes 2 packs a day, empties your fridge of beer all the while telling you fantastical stories of bull#### while engaging heavily in delusions of grandeur.... while you think to yourself; this is awesome.

When I started out 5 years ago, I was so European. I watched numerous videos telling me boilies were the way, or hell paste may be the key whilst my dad calls me excessive and sweet corn on the hook will get'em on the bank without issue.

Either way, I can't say for sure. However...

I'm a pretty open minded guy, and I like trying new things. So, at this point, you may ask, what the hell are you on about? Well read on carp addict...

This swim I've been fishing heavily has produced numbers of fish for me. I've been fishing it extremely barebones. Three sweetcorn kernals on the hook fished over a bed of - thrown out by hand - sweet corn. This worked, but i grew tired of fishing close in.

So, to my dismay, and on my limited budget, I just had to find a better and more efficient way. So I took to google!

I looked up method mix recipes, and by god, were there a lot of little bits and bops that went into those mixes - which i had totally forgotten about - but for a broke student, totally out of the question. Discouraged, but i forged ahead!

Then, I remebered fighting with one my biggest adversaries on this forum, and I thought well, I don't particularily like him, but he catches fish. So, I figured, screw, I'll try it...

So i did. I looked up a simple oat pack bait recipe and it was perfect on all facets. It quelled the sweet corn chum problem, it was cheap, and above all else, it supposedly worked.

SO there i was, racing to food basics to grab a bag of Quaker's quick oats, a can of creamed corn and off to the pond I headed!

Got there, mixed up the concoction and mouled it around my dropsey sinker, (which is the wrong style of sinker, and I learned why the hard way haha. I can't tell you how many times that ball flew off mid-cast...hahaha) modified it a bit in the sense that, I didn't bury my hook link in the ball, I let that hang loose as I like the bait to be a bit off the chum, because it'll get moved away anyway. As far as hookbait, it was the same simple sweetcorn, and I mixed those niblets in with the mix too.

First session with this bait, I was in almost immediately, wonderful! Anyway, the session I'm writing about now, is the 4th one I've used with pack. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but the size of the fish has been on average bigger than before. The numbers have gone up also.

Anyway, care to keep reading? Onward!

So i worked till 430 last evening, raced home with visions of the golden ghosts on my mind, changed into my fishing garb and off I went.

I went a little heavier on the niblets this time, so - correct me if I'm wrong - but I figured that would help with a quicker break down time.

Anyway, it didn't take long but i was into this fatty! I was away from pod at the time, and I didn't hear the alarm until probably 30 seconds after, and during that time, it ripped out so much line, it was already on the other side of the pond. Wonderful! After a long, drawn out monolithic battle and a sore arm, this pig was on the bank. Like I said, the size has definitely gone up, and this is on the HUGE side for this water. Check'er out!

IMG_1018.jpg

After that fish was on the bank, it went dead. I threw out a few more balls, recasted a few times, got snagged, re-rigged, got bored, stared at the sky, and FINALLY I got into this beauty!

use_1.jpg

Carp is beautiful - me, not so much. Anywho, was a cool three hours on the bank. Two nice fish, decent weights and good fights! Not the most productive, but that's fishing.

However, over the last handful of times i've gone out, i do concede packbait is good, but it really isn't the be all and end all it's portrayed as. It works good for sure, but so does sweet corn on the bottom also. The numbers aren't that much different, but it does seem a bit more consistent.

However, I still love the euro pods, and I'll never fish with a bait-caster nor will I use a puff or hell, even bury my hook in the pack ball. I will continue to use a hair when I feel like it, and other times I'll fish the sweet corn on the hook.

Carp angling is strange, as are all good things in life.

Sometimes you need a peculiar combinations of styles, mindsets and ideas to smack it out of the park. Well, it's worked for me....

Experimenting is important but using what gives you confidence matters the most. Thanks for sharing your post with us Paul. Oh, about the paylake stuff...I'm sure Hammercarp will chime in on that LOL

Experimenting is important but using what gives you confidence matters the most. Thanks for sharing your post with us Paul. Oh, about the paylake stuff...I'm sure Hammercarp will chime in on that LOL

Truer words have not been spoken! I've always the felt the same way. Fishing is all about confidence!

Hahaha and I'm sure he will lol

I enjoyed your post and congrats on the two fine carp you banked. It is good to see you approaching things things with an open and inquisitive mind and enjoying the results. So I see oats helped you bank two of the best fish you have taken from that venue. They are a great bait for our waters no doubt about that. Your conclusion about oats as a bait being no better than any other method may be due to the way you chose to fish them with this caveat " there is no be all to end all bait for carp". If you want to get the most out of oats I suggest trying them in the way " he whose name name cannot be spoken" :D has given us. You used quick oats and I found that quick oats can yield variable results because it is composed of broken up oat flakes. Those broken pieces can vary a lot in size. So the composition of quick oats can vary a lot and the resulting pack bait can be inconsistent in beak time. Sometimes it won't break at all. To get the best result use the large whole flake oats. They cost the same and yield a more consistent result. I don't know if you had the chance to look at this little video I made on pack baits . Give it a view and if you have any questions I would be pleased to help.

Really enjoyed the write up. Your opposition to using a puff makes me wonder why i have never fished a boilie. I know many anglers use them with great results, but can't bring myself to use one.

Ha ha ha that was a fun and terrific read!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post that journal of your day. It was very entertaining, and congratulations on banking some beauts!

Be open minded - try a puff........... :) They certainly work for me: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41463-my-favorite-rig/

"Just try a puff" lol... rocky path, that one! :)

Nice write up! Many ways to catch a carp; use the one that fits best for you! Unless it's a bow and arrow! :-(

Hammercarp, I watched your video, and I do exactly as you do minus a 2 things. One, I don't use a flavouring. The flavouring is comprised of the creamed corn, the niblets and the juice from within the can of sweet corn. On my venue, they love sweet corn, so I figure I'll stick with that. Sometimes plain and simple is the best. Plus the oats have a smell to them anyway. Oh and I don't add salt.

I do indeed use Quaker's quick oats (the red bag), maybe i'll go pick up proper oats next time i head out! See what happens!

As far as breakdown time, last night I went out again (banked 1, knot slipped on the other) and Instead of putting the ball on my incorrect style of sinker, I just threw a few balls in the vacinity of where my hook was, worked a treat anyway!

However, looking at that puff, I don't really like the look of it. I know it works, because people use it all the time, but it doesn't give me any confidence. In a venue sans pest fish, well a lowered population of them, I'll be using sweetcorn right on the hook, as that is pretty much the most instant bait there is. There isn't a carp in any country, pond/lake/reservoir/puddle that won't take that.

When i fish bigger waters or if there are a bunch of pests about - gobies - i'd be more inclined to fish with a harder bait as it will take the abuse of those pests. I can't see a puff withstanding that, but hey, who knows! For those times I'll go totally euro. Good ole boilies! I think those can't be beaten on the deeper / more pest infested waters. They work everywhere, so why not here?

But hey, this is just one guy.

Many ways to bank these beauties!

Edited by steeler

I fish goby infested waters all the time with puffs. Pier 8 is a perfect example. The individual flakes of oats seem to preoccupy them especially if you lob a few balls in . For years I did not use any flavours. I included flavours in the video because most do use them.

Thanks Bob.

Edited by hammercarp

Nice fist and great write-up. I really enjoy your writing style.