Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

FFF 2015 - Detailed Rules

fff2015_logo_a.jpg

CAG's First Fishing Folly (FFF) 2015

CAG’s First Fishing Folly is back for a 12th year!

Thanks to Jerome Moisand for his past coordination of this event and to CAG President Bob Giordano and the CAG BoD for giving me the opportunity to coordinate the event and for providing some prize resources. CAG will donate $500 for the event and I will add $200. In addition, Adam Cieplik is donating two new Reuben Heaton scales for the biggest and smallest carp captured during FFF 2015. The CAG support and other donations will get our prize package to some nice levels.

I will summarize below a few reminders for FFF 2015. I encourage you to sign up on the 2015 FFF Registration thread, and I look forward to your participation. Have fun. —Dr. Frank Rink, FFF 2015 Coordinator

Here are some 2015 FFF guidelines that apply to you:

1. No need for a fishing partner (although it is encouraged). It’s tough enough convincing our significant others to allow us to fish on New Year’s Day, and it can be even tougher finding a fishing partner to serve as a witness, especially for the wee hours of January 1. Even though partnerships and group angling are encouraged, individual anglers will be allowed to participate in FFF 2015 and submit catches and related information without a witness. The honor system will be in place relative to your submitting accurate weights and times. Keep in mind, though, that you are still required to submit a picture of you holding your catch for every fish/entry you submit. You better be good at taking “selfies” or at using a camera with a timer.

2. No need for a water thermometer. You will no longer be required to take water temperatures. North America will be split into a North/Phone Zone and a South/Warm Zone. The southern border of the following states will form the line of demarcation between the North/Phone Zone and the South/Warm Zone for FFF 2015: Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Utah. The line of demarcation will continue through Nevada from the Utah-Arizona border to Grapevine Peak (on the NV-CA border) and the boundary line will continue through California from Grapevine Peak to Santa Cruz, CA. Other than for the first fish of the year category and a newly established Jerome Moisand adventure tale category, all other weight awards will be given both to an angler fishing in the North Zone and to an angler fishing in the South Zone (see map below). There is no guarantee that it will be cold above the line and warm below. It's just a line. However, it gives more anglers an opportunity at some prizes and recognition.

fff_2015_zone_map.jpg

3. Winners get cash. Prizes will be cold, hard cash, sent to winners via their Paypal account. The cash prizes aren’t huge, but they might fund some bait or tackle purchases for the winners. The funds for prizes are provided by CAG ($500) and by Adam Cieplik (two new scales) and by me ($200) to help sweeten the pot. Other donations may be forthcoming.

4. All sunrise photos earn the photographer a Sunrise certificate. There will no longer be a competition for the best sunrise photo as entries dwindled the past few years. However, all who submit a photo will receive a certificate touting their work. Getting out of bed and taking a sunrise photo on January 1, 2015 is no small feat in itself and deserves some recognition. The primary intention of this category is to share some fabulous January 1 photos with fellow CAG anglers. In fact, if it’s too foggy, cloudy, snowy, or rainy, you can still take a picture at the approximate time of sunrise. A separate thread will be created to submit and share sunrise photos.

5. The contest will be completely transparent. All registrations, contest entry submissions, and award announcements will be made within threads created on this FFF 2015 main forum. That means that you should know how to post a photo on the forum. In the case of extreme difficulty, I will take your photo via e-mail and post the photo for you. I will crunch the weight data, post results, and distribute prizes within a week of the submission deadline. I realize that the announcement of winners will not be a big surprise, but I like the open, transparent aspect of posting all photos and data on a thread accessible to all. It also gives you a chance to check my skills of adding pounds and ounces and to make sure I haven't overlooked anyone.

You must register by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) on December 31, 2014. Registering much earlier than that, like right now, is always appreciated. Thanks.—Frank

Rules for FFF 2015

1. Go through a tough negotiation with your significant other, and, hopefully, get “permission” to fish on January 1, 2015. To count, a carp must be hooked and landed on Thursday, January 1, 2015 between midnight and 11:59:59 p.m.

2. (THIS IS A RELATIVELY RECENT RULE CHANGE) Although partnerships are encouraged for this FFF 2015 adventure, individuals are allowed to fish on their own throughout the duration of the contest. No witness is needed for your catches. We trust your honesty in recording and reporting your catches, times, and weights. We are CAG!

3. Please follow property access restrictions and local laws. You may use as many rods as locally allowed, and you may prebait as much as your DNR deems acceptable. Please catch carp with a single hook. Exhibit proper carp care with appropriate nets, weighing mats, and slings. Practice CPR--catch, photograph, and release.

4. (THIS IS A RELATIVELY RECENT RULE CHANGE) All carp must be both hooked and landed on January 1, 2015. It's fine to cast a rod and start fishing on December 31, but make sure any fish you submit are hooked after the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2015. The time a fish is hooked must be after midnight. A carp will not count if it is hooked at 11:59 p.m. on 12/31/14 and landed at 12:01 a.m. on 1/1/15.

As indicated in rule #5 below, the
exact landing time of a fish is the time it is safely secured in your net. That is the time you submit on your entry post.

5. (THIS IS A RELATIVELY RECENT RULE CHANGE) For contest purposes, you must record and submit the landing time and weight of all your captures. The exact landing time of a fish is the time it is safely secured in your net. For contest purposes, a photo of you holding the fish or of you with the fish on the mat must be taken and submitted for all your captures. When you post the photos on the designated FFF 2015 forum thread, caption it with your name, the weight of the carp in pounds and ounces, and the time of capture. Don't forget to tare your weigh-sling. If you are fishing solo, the same photo and recording requirements apply. You better be good at taking “selfies” while holding a carp or at handling a camera with a timer.

6. Only carp designated as Cyprinus Carpio (common and mirror carp) count. Other varieties (Crucian, buffalo, grass, silver, etc.) do not count.

7. Even though non-members are welcome to accompany CAG members and fish with them during FFF 2015, the actual contest, awards, certificates, and public posting of winners are reserved for CAG members only. CAG members must register for FFF 2015 by 11:59 p.m (EST) on December 31, 2014 to be eligible for awards and acknowledgments.

Now the fine print. Your participation in CAG’s First Fishing Folly 2015 automatically binds you to the following waiver of liability:

1. In consideration for receiving permission to participate in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, I hereby release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue the organizers of the event, their officers, families, servants, agents and employees (hereinafter referred to as "releasees") from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or relating to any loss, damage or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or to any property belonging to me or another, whether caused by the negligence of the releasees, or otherwise, while participating in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, or while in, on or upon the premises where the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015 is being conducted, while in transit to or from the premises, or in any place or places connected with the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015.

2. I am fully aware of risks and hazards connected with being on the premises and participating in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, and I am fully aware that there may be risks and hazards unknown to me connected with being on the premises and participating in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, and I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, to enter upon the above named premises and engage in activities knowing that conditions may be hazardous, or may become hazardous or dangerous to me and my property. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for any risks of loss, property damage or personal injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or any loss or damage to property owned by me or another, as a result of my being a participant in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, whether caused by the negligence of releasees or otherwise.

3. I further hereby agree to indemnify and save and hold harmless the releasees and each of them, from any loss, liability, damage or costs they may incur due to my participation in the Carp Anglers Group First Fishing Folly on January 1, 2015, whether caused by the negligence of any or all of the releasees, or otherwise.

4. It is my express intent that this Release shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am deceased, and shall be deemed as a Release, Waiver, Discharge and Covenant Not to Sue the above named releasees.

Don't forget to register for FFF 2015 by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, December 31, 2014. Registering much earlier than that, like right now, is always appreciated. Thanks.—Dr. Frank Rink

Click here to register for FFF 2015!

Sounds good- very fair in scope. Looking forward to the FFF. SWMBO doesn't mind- we don't normally stay up past 9 PM anyway- we have seen a lot of NYE's in our lifetime to get real excited. :closedeyes: Too much excitement might bad for the heart. :unsure:

Wow. First time I ever heard of this. Quite a Folly.

So, to my understanding, fishing would be limited inside the USA, and not in Canada along the St-Lawrence River. So in NY state along the St-Lawrence would be acceptable?

But I may be wrong, since I noticed (...or province...) in the registration post the following:

Your CAG forum name:

Your state or province of residence:

If it differs from your residence,

the state or province of your FFF 2015 venue:

Junior (17 or under as of 1/1/15)?:

Wonder if the river would be frozen the 1st of January, 2015? If not the line and the carper. LOL

A good heater in or near the entrance of the Bivvy should suffice.

Can I get some answers to my queries?

Wow. First time I ever heard of this. Quite a Folly.

So, to my understanding, fishing would be limited inside the USA (Alaska and Hawaii excluded), and not in Canada along the St-Lawrence River. So in NY state along the St-Lawrence would be acceptable?

Wonder if the river would be frozen the 1st of January, 2015? If not the line and the carper. LOL

A good heater in or near the entrance of the Bivvy shoul suffice.

Can I get some answers to my queries?

In regard to your first query, there is nothing in the guidelines that limits fishing to the continental USA. In fact, we had several fish in Canada for FFF 2014, and you are more than welcome to fish in Canada for FFF 2015. I hope you will consider participating.

In regard to question #2, I dont know whether or not your river or body of water will be frozen. :P

Good luck! --Frank

Thanks Frank. By the time you replied, I had made some changes to my initial post. Made corrections.

Tried to find (search tool) a post on FFF2014, so to satisfy curiosity, but could not find anything.