Carp Anglers Group Forums

Crazy fish started to feed near the edge on the release 30lber

Usually when I fish i always throw a few freebies near the edge to figure out what the natural food is. I had put a little bit of CC Moore Odyssey pellets and a few boilies near the edge. I caught this really nice fish and as soon as I released it I was joking when I said it must want some more Odyssey. About 5 seconds later, tails up feeding until the food was gone and it left.

Sick video Brian! What's amazing is that after all of that handling, that fish was immediately back in woof-it-down mode!

Recapture (or repeat offender!) in the making! :swimminfish:

I wish we could have show the later part but the headlamps were not bright enough to show. Right at the end it was heads down tails up sucking and blowing to get the bait. After the camera stopped it was still there and I walked near it and it could care less because it wanted the bait so bad. I have never seen anything like it.

Maybe they're not as smart as we think they are lol great capture and awesome footage

That was very interesting. Usually they are in that, "wtf just happened" mode and the thought of continuing to feed is absurd. Piggy wasn't finished eating when you dragged her away from her late night snack, LOL!

Nice video and fish Brian! That is absolutely crazy that it went and fed right there after putting here back, never heard of anything like that happening!

It was funny because at the beginning of the video I was only joking saying it was looking for more Odyssey and then when it started to eat it I was totally floored. lol

Maybe they're not as smart as we think they are lol great capture and awesome footage

I dunno about that! lol They outsmart me more times than I care to admit. I was glad I was able to get most of it on film.

AWESOME gold & a great video! I have seen some of the fish I released hang around the shore line & continue lip-smakin on the bottom. Some take off violently & some just seem calm, cool & collected.

Thank You! You never know what is going to happen on the release. More times than not they end up giving me a bath. lol

This is incredible... Very cool video, and a testament to the good care you took of this fish... Never seen such behavior either.

I was really surprised. One thing I started to do different this year is when I catch a fish I will let it sit in the net for a minute or so to calm down. I noticed on the release they go out a ton better and are not so stressed.

That was very interesting. Usually they are in that, "wtf just happened" mode and the thought of continuing to feed is absurd. Piggy wasn't finished eating when you dragged her away from her late night snack, LOL!

I actually had to push her out to get her to quit feeding there. She was worse than my dog at home. lol

Brian that video was wild. I never saw a carp do that. Maybe I'll try some of those boilies next season

I love taking video because you never know what will happen both good and bad. My best results with them have been after the spawn through summer. They really search them out those times of the year.

I dunno about that! lol They outsmart me more times than I care to admit. I was glad I was able to get most of it on film.

That's the crazy thing I think. Sometimes they evade everything you can do to catch them. Other times you could hand feed them. The nature of the beast is confusing lol

Those fish in that water body are crazy that way. The last couple I landed from there came from the margins, with my offering only about 5 feet off my rod tips. I would sit back from my rods in the brush, and as it got dark, If you were quiet and still, you would see the fish come swimming along the shorelines, especially if it was windy, feeding with their backs almost out of the water. Great footage!

PS: I'm pretty sure those headlamps in the background were people I knew walleye fishing...

I love taking video because you never know what will happen both good and bad. My best results with them have been after the spawn through summer. They really search them out those times of the year.

I will defiantly order some for next season. Cc Moore seems to make some pretty good bait. I'm a big fan. I'm also going to fool around with the hell raisers next season also. They have the matching liquid flavor as you well know. Can't wait

That's the first time I've heard of a carp doing that. Forty-plus years ago, I had a friend tell me about a similar trout-fishing experience.

He was wading and fly-fishing in a small stream in the MD mountains near Camp David, and caught a small 10" rainbow, which he released. He accidentally let go of his line, and the fly drifted a few feet downstream. The same little trout gobbled it up and got caught again. He released it, and -- this time, intentionally -- let the fly drift again, and again the same trout took it. He said that he caught and released the same fish SEVEN TIMES before he got tired of playing the game. That trout attacked the same fly every time it floated past.

I guess sometimes a fish -- any species -- gets so interested in feeding on some particular food (or bait or lure) that it simply throws caution to the wind and ignores danger.

I guess we're all trying to find the secret to flipping that "let's eat" switch in a carp's brain.... :knifefork:

• 2 weeks later...