Carp Anglers Group Forums
kenneth taylor

cold weather baiting

ok I know the carp slow down in winter so when pre-baiting do yall use the same amount or less ?? I think im going to use less or bait with cream-corn to put more sent out what's y'all thoughts on this am I wrong

Normally, less is better in winter time as the carp slow down their eating habits. I will still use the method feeder and particle baits with a smaller hook bait and short hair rig.

I had gotten away from the hair rig for a while and this summer missed way too many takes. Just got it dialed back in with a rig half as long as before. IMO the shorter hair rig - from hook to weight - has resulted in much better hook up ratios. After watching the Korda underwater videos and seeing the fish eject the longer rigs numerous times during feeding, I went to a 3-4 inch rig and smaller hook. BAM! fish on!

Some of the better than me carpers will chime in.

Have gone to a less particle approach and more pellet based approach to chumming...and chumming significantly less. In the summer i was using 2/5corn 2/5birdseed 1/5grits all boiled together...but around mid October it seemed to stop working. Had a friend suggest pellets, did some research and switched to calf manna aka calf starter pellets. Hauled first day fishing over it, second day of fishing over it and I nailed my best fish this year so far. Also, pretty amazing what little changes can mean to catch rates like glugging with a glycerine/curry slurry, or using things like citric acid and butyric acid in the mix. Also, PVA bags might have an edge on the method/pack at certain times/certain conditions.

I love using pellets in cold water. You'll have to watch or on the PVA in cold water as it will take longer to melt the colder it gets. Location plays a big part in cold water. If you really know the lake you'll be able to sort out the carps seasonal patterns which will increase your catch's.

Makes me think I should have used range cubes instead of boiled cracked corn and deer corn- blanked today but did get started on my Sunday School lesson. I guess I'll have to go back and experiment with the range cubes. Anything for the furtherance of science. :Laughter:

I guess it's all relevant, in CA our winter is so dam short it can't really count:) January and February can be cold but its not freezing. Single small, white or pink pop-ups have been good for me, with really small pva bags of liquidized bread mixed with tuna. This year I might try the tigernut glugged in vodka:)

I did ok casting into the sun hit spots in the winter on one lake with a pva bag mix that rose to the surface slowly (Solar up n downer) - I saw fish actually move down onto the bait which were high in the water column. Also scaling back on the tackle probably helps I would say. Also running rigs might be worth a swing.

I was in San Francisco last year around Labor Day- in the mid 50s contrasting with the 90s in Modesto, just 90 miles east of SF. My daughter's family was there in July- same cool weather and contrasts in temps.

BTW, Carpskunker, is it possible to get your recipe for liquefied bread? Might have to try it. Again, anything for the furtherance of science and carping.

Liquidized bread...

Take one loaf of Wonder Bread and put the slices 2-3 at a time through a food processor or liquidizer.

You can then store the finely ground bread in zip lock bags (push the excess air out but don't compact the bread) and store in the freezer.

When it comes to fishing simply mix with your mashed up tuna or ground up boilies etc and place in PVA bags or mesh.

Here's how it looks...

post-479-0-91391600-1415367624_thumb.jpg

My waters and carp have already shown a marked increase in cooling off. Snow has hit the peaks several times since the first in late August and now the river that rewarded me a couple weeks ago with some nice fish has given me my first blank yesterday.

Three hours and only one light tug but no hookups. Here in Utah the carp catching shuts off like you didn't pay the electric bill. CLICK! good night.... until May or ice out whichever comes first. I might give it one more go this weekend before cleaning the rods and reels for the winter.

There is one small pond in my office park that is full of ten pounders, commons, ghost, muddlers, linear and full scaled mirrors and big goldfish. But they are big headed and lean bodied. So easy to catch on the first cast, I have to be REAL desperate or have my kids with me to even fish there. Most of the time I just stop and toss bread in to feed them. If I blank again, I might be desperate enough to end the season on some fish no matter the quality.

This one is typical of their size and shape.

post-3642-0-83257400-1415377375_thumb.jp

Edited by fishhead

Thanks for the recipe. There is a bakery outlet on the south side of town- maybe they will have old bread that they will give away or at least sell it cheap. Thanks for the picture. Wonder how it is with a bit of milk and sugar?

Fishhead, the dictionary doesn't give a size under the definition of fish. Therefore, I recommend you go fishing in the pond you mentioned. Good practice for the spring.

Fishhead, the dictionary doesn't give a size under the definition of fish. Therefore, I recommend you go fishing in the pond you mentioned. Good practice for the spring.

i appreciate the encouragement. I have fished it on occasion. It's a weird mental thing I have about. If you could catch a 10# carp on the first cast of a crust of bread every single time would you? It's like fishing out of a bucket.

Maybe I should rethink it every time I spend hours elsewhere and blank. Anyway this is a pic of it, my office and the Jordan river right behind the office.

post-3642-0-82420800-1415397101.jpg

Skeet, adding liquid tends to lock it up, turning it into a dough ball. Sugar or other dry flavor (pepper, salt, pepper flakes, cinnamon, etc) can enhance the attractiveness of the bread.

Here's a result from this past Sunday on a very chilly afternoon. Only had 3 hours to fish but ended up with this 21.12 on a 'shaved' 22mm Fruity Peach boilie and plastic corn soaked in Betalin plus PVA mesh filled with three 16 mm boilies heavily soaked in Fruity Peach flavor and Betalin.

A simple running rig produced a slow but steady take that resulted in a titanic battle under the rod tip for close to ten minutes before I could slide this fish in to the net.

post-479-0-81192100-1416327955_thumb.jpg post-479-0-66810200-1416327966_thumb.jpg

Don't forget alcohol . I put brandy, whisky or rum in my ground bait during the winter. And I live in Michigan where the winter is real.

Northern Michigan winters are even realer! :P

Here's a result from this past Sunday on a very chilly afternoon. Only had 3 hours to fish but ended up with this 21.12 on a 'shaved' 22mm Fruity Peach boilie and plastic corn soaked in Betalin plus PVA mesh filled with three 16 mm boilies heavily soaked in Fruity Peach flavor and Betalin.

A simple running rig produced a slow but steady take that resulted in a titanic battle under the rod tip for close to ten minutes before I could slide this fish in to the net.

attachicon.gif2112 Common.jpg attachicon.gifshaved 22mm boilie.jpg

Congrats ! That's a sexy fish