Carp Anglers Group Forums
ciprian muresan

Places to fish during the winter in SE Michigan

So lakes started to freeze, much sooner than we hoped/expected. This winter is going to be brutal. I am looking for a place to fish that doesn't freeze during the winter or at least most of the winter. I never fished Detroit river, I know that freezes too sometimes, so maybe some of you who know the river well can share . Also another possible spot will be places with warm water close to power plants, dams, or places where city water goes into the lake/river. Obviously beers on me, unless you are under 21, then cofee is on me LOL. Thanks, guys

Check into the Port of Monroe. I have never had time to scout it out, but there is a public fishing site.

I don't know if it has opening and closing dates but it is on the warm water discharge.

Hey guys, been around for a long time here in Michigan and the only places I know of to fish in winter are open rivers, through the ice on rivers or lakes or the few warm water discharges around the state. Saginaw is extremely popular during winter for fishermen, but it is a treacherous walk through the marsh to get to the hit springs....and then there it is dangerous as there are deeper holes all over.

Detroit river has a warm water discharge that can be OK, but only room for 2 or 3 to fish...other than that, I have never heard of any really good spots at all. Most of us turn our attention to other things in winter and discuss the next spring and events for the next year.

Looks like nobody in MI fishes below 40 degrees. Though I heard a rumor that the Polish Hammer knows about the Detroit River in the winter.

Hello there I am more then happy to share the warm water discharge that is located on lake Erie. But i have hear some rumors that they are closing it down this year. Shot me a pm.

Hello there I am more then happy to share the warm water discharge that is located on lake Erie. But i have hear some rumors that they are closing it down this year. Shot me a pm.

God bless you, Sir ! I will pm you in a bit.