Carp Anglers Group Forums

Its worth having one rod just to cast around with, chances are they are not moving all that much. Always cast at a showing fish.

Don't put out much bait and move swim if nothing is happening- I tend to stick with fruity but spicy seem to work for me as well, rod hutchinson mega-spice is good stuff. As somebody mentioned before glugging a hook bait in alcohol is also worth a swing.

I think winter fishing is trial and error with bait and location and also finding out when the feeding spells are. Once you have figured that out it can be pretty good.

It's been cold here (for Georgia) for the last two weeks, with some nights below freezing and quite a few days never hitting 50 degrees. Our southern carp seem to react adversely to falling temps more than northern carp do. Worse, they seem to NOT respond to brief periods of warming.

The temp was supposed to reach 65 today, so two of us went out for a few hours this afternoon. Started by spodding lightly with cooked maize and cracked corn. We had 5 rods in the water, 4 different hook baits and 4 different pack baits, but not so much as a twitch.

I was hoping that the warmer air temp along with the heat from the sun might get them moving today, but no go. I noticed that the water felt unusually cold. Our forecast is for more seasonal temps the rest of this week (low 60s for highs, low 40s & upper 30s for lows), so maybe things will pick up by the end of the week.

Same here in Utah. Only sooner. The lights go out "CLICK!" here and it's season over til ice out next year. In NC, where I spent many more years carp fishing, the Neuse River never failed to produce. Sometimes much slower in winter but I recall a New Year's day 9# carp on a new Christmas rod.

Went this weekend and blanked. Third time in a row. Did have a fish run into my line since it twitched but no takes.

You can catch carp through the ice. Find a nice shallow bay 4-8 feet of water and jig a Darting Rapala. You will be in for a cool surprise. Carp can still move fast in cold water and like hitting small fish lures!

Bob