Carp Anglers Group Forums
(GA) needmotime2fish

DNR Reply - carping rules for Bull Sluice

After chasing my tail for more than a month, I got a "hit" on a post on the GON website from a GA DNR employee, who finally sent me in the right direction to get answers to my questions about carp fishing in Bull Sluice Lake.

Georgia carp anglers have been particularly concerned about the number of rods they can use in this area. That part of the Chattahoochee River is generally defined as a "trout stream", and as such, the trout regulations state that a trout angler may use only one, hand-held rod. However, because Bull Sluice Lake is formed by Morgan Falls Dam, the section of river from the Roswell Road bridge downstream to the dam is also considered an "impoundment". Georgia fishing regs for "impoundments" on a trout stream are different from the general trout fishing regulations. Because of the differences in those rules, a number of local Georgia carpers have been confused as to what is and what is not legal.

It would seem that if an angler is specifically targeting trout -- using trout-type equipment, fishing methods, lures, and.or baits -- or if the angler has trout in his/her possession, then the angler is considered to be fishing for trout, and all trout fishing rules would apply. However, the state does recognize that trout are not the only species in those impoundments, so an angler who is obviously fishing for other species (for example, carp) would NOT be subject to those (trout fishing) rules.

A short time ago, I was able to talk directly with Mark Puig, the DNR Ranger for Fulton County GA to confirm my understanding of the regulations. (Mark's contact info -- Cell: 404-997-3214 ; e-mail: mark.puig@dnr.state,ga,us ).

Mark said that an angler who is obviously carp fishing in that area, and who has no trout in possession: (1) would only need a valid GA fishing license, but would NOT need a trout stamp (trout license); (2) would NOT be subject to the trout fishing restriction of using just one hand-held rod; and (3) could legally pre-bait / chum.

In fact, because the normal trout regs do not apply to impoundments, technically, a carp angler could legally fish during "non-trout-fishing" hours -- except that access to the parks is controlled by the Park Service. Thus, any "after hours" carp fishing would probably have to be done from private property. In other words, the carp fishing itself would be legal, but not the access to the banks in the parks.

Mark also volunteered to join us to discuss these matters, if/when we want to have a get-together. If enough people are interested, let me know, and we'll try to work on it.

Edited by needmotime2fish

In TN, if you fish in waters that contain trout, you have to have a trout stamp even if you are fishing for other species or release any trout caught. This is to keep people from catching trout, keeping them and saying they were fishing for bluegill.

In TN, if you fish in waters that contain trout, you have to have a trout stamp even if you are fishing for other species or release any trout caught. This is to keep people from catching trout, keeping them and saying they were fishing for bluegill.

That applies here in GA, too -- except in waters designated as "impoundments". The stretch of the Chattahoochee that's in question here only affects about a mile or so of the river that is clearly defined by specific boundaries. The general state trout regulations apply both upriver and downriver from those boundaries.

Sounds like Mark P is an enlightened DNR Representative, and a credit to his organization.

I will give him a call with your permission, as I'd like to ask him if he would be interested in attending a Multi-State Conference on C&R Carp Fishing.

Sounds like Mark P is an enlightened DNR Representative, and a credit to his organization.

I will give him a call with your permission, as I'd like to ask him if he would be interested in attending a Multi-State Conference on C&R Carp Fishing.

PM sent

Guys, Awsome work!!

Although carp are seen by the Michigan DNR as a rough fish, they have been more than willing to answer questions I have had in the past in regards to "rules" ect.

Guys, Awsome work!!

Although carp are seen by the Michigan DNR as a rough fish, they have been more than willing to answer questions I have had in the past in regards to "rules" ect.

Yes, everyone I've dealt with at the GA DNR has been very helpful. The only difficulty I've experienced has been locating the right person to ask some specific question. But that is an issue of how the DNR is structured -- not with the people working there.

I had several reasons for wanting to have those questions "officially" answered. First, several of our guys like to fish that spot, and some have expressed concern about what is and what is not legal. Second, I've read too many "horror stories" right here on this forum, about guys who suffered the consequences of someone not knowing the regulations (sometimes the one who didn't know was the DNR officer, and not the angler).

I figured that if someone - me in this case - got a direct answer and posted it online, it would provide a reference for local anglers. Then, in the (I hope unlikely) case that someone does get a ticket for fishing illegally, they could refer to this post (and/or the one I posted on the GON Forum) as a defense, since I included the name and contact info for the DNR official who provided the information.